Checking into airport then returning to hotel

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
We're flying out of Gatwick at 10.30.
Being as we haven't booked preallocated seats, we want to get to the airport at around 6.30 to check in.
I don't fancy hanging around the airport for 4 hours ( especially with a toddler :D ) , so I thought that we could drive to the airport, its only 3 miles away, check in, and then go back to the hotel until around 9.00am when we get the transport back to the airport.
So what do you think ? Good idea or not :confused:

:jester: 113 to go :jester:

Remember that all members of the party have to be present at check-in with all your luggage, including hand luggage.

Apart from that once you have checked in you can go where you want :)

Thaks Tim
What happens with the hand luggage ? Do they just weigh it and give it back to you ?

I have never had handluggage weighed - normally they don't do anything with it until you go through security whenthey X ray it.

Someone on the other disney boards has said that I will need the best part of 4 hours to get through passport & security etc.
( Especially with all the new security measures in place )
She said that they start boarding 1 hour before take off.
When she went PRE Sept 11th, they arrived 4 hours early, and were ready to go just 10 mins before take off, so maybe I should give my original plan a miss :(

When we flew out of Gatwick in October it took about 1/2 hours to check-in (Virgin Atlantic arrived at check-in early morning and check-in hall was already quite full). We then had to queue to get through the security checks going through to the departure lounge (passport check followed by hand luggage scan, metal detector arch thingy and body search if you were unlucky (or lucky depending on who searches you :) ).

Virgin were then checking hand luggage again before boarding the aircraft - although this seemed to be a bit hit and miss. DW got her bag searched but I was just waved through! (must have an honest face :rolleyes: ).

GOOFYISH :D

How long did it all take start to finish ? And how early before your flight did u arrive ?

Alexandra - just a little, quick tip.

If you ARE planning to return to your hotel, put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on front of the door.

First time we stayed overnight at the Gatwick Hilton, we'd planned to return to our room to make coffee, tea, etc. amuse DD with cartoons on TV (this was in the days before Twilight check-in and like you we were checked-in by 8am, our flight leaving 12.30pm). However, when we got back they must have thought we'd gone because the maid had been and cleaned the room ready for the next occupants:eek:

Not a real problem for me, mind - just meant spending an extra couple of hours mooching in the shops:Pinkbounc

I think we checked in at around 7:30am for the 12:30 Virgin flight. We queued for a bout 1/2hour and then went to have breakfast and walk round the shops.

It probably took another 1/2 hour to get through the security checks through to the departure lounge. Once in the departure lounge there are more shops.

Bare in mind that there may be quite a walk/ride to the plane depending on where your gate is. So allow plenty of time once the boarding time comes up.

Alex, personally I would forget about going back to the hotel if I were you. If you get there early and check in your bags you could then go and have a leisurely breakfast, there are lots of places at Gatwick, then go through security into the departure lounges and browse through the shops. As Tim said the actual gate you depart from can be quite a distance so once you know which one it is, head for that and then there are usually more shops, somewhere to have a coffee, etc., and there is plenty of space for a toddler to wander around and let off a little steam before boarding. 4 hours at the airport sounds a lot but you'll be surprised how quickly it passes, even with a toddler in tow (been there done that, honest) LOL.

Annmarie

Virgin open at around 6.30 am, so that should be fine.

Personally I don't think it would be worth going back to your hotel. I would have breakfast in Garfunkles, go through to departures and have a look round the shops. It can also be quite a long walk to the gate.

Are you not using twilight checkin?

Theresa

Unfortunatley Theresa, We're not flying with Virgin ( although we will be next time ). We're flying with JMC through Travel City Direct.
Is Garfunkles the best place for a good full English ?
I've never been to Gatwick airport before so I don't know much about whats there. Do you think we could quite easily kill 4-5 hrs there without getting bored ?
Approx how long does it take to walk to the departure gates ?

:jester: 108 to go :jester:

Hi Alex,

Slap on the wrists for me assuming that!

Lots of DIS'ers have been to Garfunkles and we have found it very good for bacon and eggs and all sorts of breakfasts.

There are plenty of shops before departure and after, so if you say 1 hour to have breakfast, 1 hour shopping, 1/2 a hour to get through security at departure (probably too long), 1/2 an hour in duty free (buy in duty free, it is cheap as you are going to the States and have a drink after all that walking in the parks). Then you should start boarding an hour before (especially with the additional security).

Most of the gates we have had have been around 15 mintues walk, when you get through to departures there is info telling you how long it will take you to get to the gate)

So, time will pass and I always think "what it something happens, with the car or traffic and you can't get back for your flight :rolleyes:. If you were staying at the Hilton with the walkway then it is much more possible to nip back to the Hotel and we have done this.

Theresa

just a thought....

I drove down to London on Saturday - made great time until I got to the M25 where I sat stationary for 5 hours! I was only going 1 exit as well...

After this experience, I would be very loathe to leave the airport and return - you just never know what might happen on the roads - all you need is a car transporter to throw a load of Land Rovers across the road and you'll be missing your flight.
It's even made me wary about driving to the airport the morning of the flight - I am sure there were people on the M25 with me who missed flights, I know there were people who missed weddings because I saw them (fortunately not the bride or groom, but they looked like page boys and bridesmaids).
I think I'll be driving to the airport the night before from now on.

Bev

Bev, I was with you on the M25 Saturday. We got stuck for 4 hours, what a nightmare. We were heading to the eurotunnel for a weekend trip to France. Needless to say we missed our train but did get there eventually. I would always travel down to either Gatwick or Heathrow the night before, always, always!

Annmarie

I am very glad that I get to Gatwick without using the M25. As it is, we live just over an hour away (on a good day) and we are still staying the night at a hotel near the airport - paranoid or what? ;)

In reality, the hotel is to shorten what will be a very long day but we always leave lots of time to drive to the airport and park - I am always worried about breaking down or having a puncture. :rolleyes:

This may seem like a silly question but would I need to use the M25 ?
I'll be driving to Gatwick from Newport, South Wales.
I know we take the M4 to London, and theres an exit coming off there for Gatwick airport, but I don't know if this then takes you on to the M25 :confused: :confused: :confused:

:jester: 108 to go :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter