Check in vs request success poll

How do you check in and success left out requests

• Total voters
I answered the poll but I've actually stopped making requests. I check in online and I've almost never had a request fulfilled, and in fact once got the exact opposite of what I requested. This was at all stars-requested top floor parking lot view to avoid noise of the pool, I got first floor right in front of the pool. I've had the same luck at values, moderates and DVC. Since I stopped making requests, I've had a satisfactory room location more than 50% of the time.

I answered the poll but I've actually stopped making requests. I check in online and I've almost never had a request fulfilled, and in fact once got the exact opposite of what I requested. This was at all stars-requested top floor parking lot view to avoid noise of the pool, I got first floor right in front of the pool. I've had the same luck at values, moderates and DVC. Since I stopped making requests, I've had a satisfactory room location more than 50% of the time.
We've actually considered the potential option of requesting the opposite of what we want - in hopes they don't give it to us and we end up where we wish to be!!

You and me. I seldom make requests now, but I think I have less than a 10% success rate of asking and receiving - we generally get a satisfactory room. And I've never asked for complicated - never anything specific or in short supply and never multiple requests. The only request we've gotten met was two rooms close to each other - and they were right next to each other.

I'm also of the belief that DVC is a timeshare running at high occupancy and most rooms are fine - though some rooms and locations ARE more desirable. And everyone has to get the less desirable room sometimes since we all are making multiple trips over the course of our membership. Which is one of the reasons why I think they should prioritize requests for members staying on their own points over requests made by people staying where the names don't match the contract. Its also one of the reasons I think asking for a room switch because you don't like the location is inconsiderate to other members.

You and me. I seldom make requests now, but I think I have less than a 10% success rate of asking and receiving - we generally get a satisfactory room. And I've never asked for complicated - never anything specific or in short supply and never multiple requests. The only request we've gotten met was two rooms close to each other - and they were right next to each other.

I'm also of the belief that DVC is a timeshare running at high occupancy and most rooms are fine - though some rooms and locations ARE more desirable. And everyone has to get the less desirable room sometimes since we all are making multiple trips over the course of our membership. Which is one of the reasons why I think they should prioritize requests for members staying on their own points over requests made by people staying where the names don't match the contract. Its also one of the reasons I think asking for a room switch because you don't like the location is inconsiderate to other members.
These days I usually book a Boardwalk view since I know that's where I'm happiest, so I'm rarely disappointed. Although, there have been days when my 66 year old knees would like to be a little closer to the elevator. Just Disney keeping me mobile, right?

If you arrive early enough then it’s much better to just ask the front desk.
We got to Poly about 12pm and asked for first available upper floor room in Moorea. They said give us 45 mins, so that was great as we were prepared to head on over to Epcot and wait it out.
Had similar success at AKV, BWV,BCV just asking for front desk assistance on early arrival, obviously they have more options to accommodate you with.

I always make two layers of requests. After I book, I call a few days later to make the requests with a live person. The first requests are specific room numbers - I usually offer at least 8 room numbers, which increases the chances they can fulfill it - usually it's for specific types of balconies and buildings I prefer. Then as a secondary request, I'll put in more general terms - like sections, view directions, or higher-floors.

I don't do online checkin, as I prefer to get to the desk and see what room they've given me - that gives me a chance to request a change at the desk before going to the room in case I didn't get any of my preferences (that has very rarely happened - but usually it's when I get a ground-floor that has my preferred view direction and building - depending on the resort, I sometimes don't want a 1st floor if there's too much going on outside the windows like pools or busy walkways).

Over the last 3 years, I've had better than average luck with the specific room number requests - landing them about 70% of the time. Over the last 5 years, I've been pretty much 100% on at least my secondary requests.

Reactions: ehh
It's been very resort dependent for me. At BWV, I get nothing close to my requests, but Kidani, BLT and VGF give me either what I ask for or very close to it. I've only stayed at Poly once and there was some kind of glitch (that's what I was told) and I got a Pago Pago parking lot view. At least we were super close to the TTC for that one.

I actually do both, especially if we are checking in before 4pm. And in that case, I am happy to get whatever room is available first.

We've never had a bit of luck getting a room location request filled in advance. The key in our experience is getting there early and making that request right away in the morning. We've got a trip at the end of next May that starts on a Monday. We'll be at Universal the first couple nights. We won't be arriving at WDW until late afternoon on I'm just going to get up early and take some luggage over to BWV and ask for a room (1 bdrm bw view 6 nights) close to the elevator. There are ~30 1 bdrm bw view rooms at BWV and if you are getting in late you are going to get put on the top floor above of Jellyrolls :D

One time at BCV, I'd requested "woods view", but I discovered when I got the room ready text, that not only was it not woods view, but it was also HA, which I hadn't requested or needed. So I went to the front desk, said the HA wouldn't work for me, and asking again if they had any woods view. Unfortunately no. But they had a room I'd had before, even though it wasn't woods view. Thus I headed upstairs to what I knew was one of my favorite woods view rooms. So the next time, instead of saying "woods view" I specified "room # ending in..." and proceeded to give the #s of about 15 woods view studios. And that time I got one. Lesson learned-don't use words that can be interpreted different ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter