Cheating on Disney? Where to?

Im in Bermuda now, and will be here again in August for a wedding. SF/Napa with dh last year, Arizona with dc. Paris next year with dh, Colorado with kids next winter break. Disney is very expensive with 4 dc, and I like to experience other places. I would love to do another DCL cruise, but prices are insane. Our last trip to WDW was in February, and we probably won't be back for several years.

Was in Bermuda last September for my 5th time and wish I was there with you now. Love love love Bermuda. Where are you staying?? Where will you stay for the wedding?

Love seeing other areas of the country, so have had vacations elsewhere. Also, the Caribbean a few times.

Im in Bermuda now, and will be here again in August for a wedding. SF/Napa with dh last year, Arizona with dc. Paris next year with dh, Colorado with kids next winter break. Disney is very expensive with 4 dc, and I like to experience other places. I would love to do another DCL cruise, but prices are insane. Our last trip to WDW was in February, and we probably won't be back for several years.

Did you fly to Bermuda or cruise there? I have been wanting to go to Bermuda forever!! ive been looking at hotels and bed and breakfasts. I would love to hear your feed back! How long are you staying there for?

Was in Bermuda last September for my 5th time and wish I was there with you now. Love love love Bermuda. Where are you staying?? Where will you stay for the wedding?

Where did you stay in Bermuda? I sooooo want to go there!! It looks absolutely beautiful!

Where did you stay in Bermuda? I sooooo want to go there!! It looks absolutely beautiful!

I have stayed at the Hamilton Princess, Elbow Beach, Sonesta Beach and Cambridge Beaches. Elbow Beach has closed the main hotel at the moment and has some cottage/condo type units near the beach. Sonesta has been knocked down and can't recall what is going in. This last time was at Cambridge Beaches. They are all cottages and loved it. I've never cruised there before, always flown.

It is a beautiful island and unlike many. It's an expensive island but soooo worth going. This past time we were there for my dads 80th birthday, DS's college graduation and to remember my mom who loved the island and passed away in 2014.

I have stayed at the Hamilton Princess, Elbow Beach, Sonesta Beach and Cambridge Beaches. Elbow Beach has closed the main hotel at the moment and has some cottage/condo type units near the beach. Sonesta has been knocked down and can't recall what is going in. This last time was at Cambridge Beaches. They are all cottages and loved it. I've never cruised there before, always flown.

It is a beautiful island and unlike many. It's an expensive island but soooo worth going. This past time we were there for my dads 80th birthday, DS's college graduation and to remember my mom who loved the island and passed away in 2014.

I was looking at the fairmount Southampton and also the Kingston house b&b. It seems like everything in Bermuda pretty much gets good reviews and all accommodations seem to be nice? How long do you go for? A full week?

We are leaving Friday for 2 weeks at Hilton Head (we aren't DVC, so not at the Disney Resort). We generally do the beach in the summer and Disney in the fall.

I was looking at the fairmount Southampton and also the Kingston house b&b. It seems like everything in Bermuda pretty much gets good reviews and all accommodations seem to be nice? How long do you go for? A full week?

Have always gone for a week. Fairmount Southampton is gorgeous and not all that far from where we stayed when at Cambridge Beaches. I don't know anything about B&B's. In my opinion, depending upon what you want out of the vacation, would sway where I stayed. For example, Fairmount Southampton is out a ways, the Kingston House is Hamilton. Don't know if you'd rent scooters and if you did, would you have them for your entire stay. Do you want to be near a lot of restaurants or if way out, taxis can get expensive. Not saying not to, just saying that your choices are different locations and things to weigh out.

A little hijack. I have 6 kids. To be clear I had 5 then a 10 year gap, I just had #6, so she really doesn't count in the past figuring out of vacation expenses. Anyway.... Look at Carnival cruises. The rates are so reasonable and they have activities for kids of all ages. All of my kids have loved Carnival. We priced DCL, but it was 3x the price of Carnival, we just couldn't justify it. Carnival was great fun. We are taking our 1st RCL cruise in May.

Have always gone for a week. Fairmount Southampton is gorgeous and not all that far from where we stayed when at Cambridge Beaches. I don't know anything about B&B's. In my opinion, depending upon what you want out of the vacation, would sway where I stayed. For example, Fairmount Southampton is out a ways, the Kingston House is Hamilton. Don't know if you'd rent scooters and if you did, would you have them for your entire stay. Do you want to be near a lot of restaurants or if way out, taxis can get expensive. Not saying not to, just saying that your choices are different locations and things to weigh out.

I wouldn't be renting a scooter. I was planning on using the bus?

I wouldn't be renting a scooter. I was planning on using the bus?

Busses are great and inexpensive. Check out getting tokens for the week (or how many days you are staying) as you can get a break on them. If you do not use them all, I believe the hotel will buy them back. At least, Cambrige Beaches did.

Not knowing if you have any limitations as far as walking but check out where the bus stop is for wherever you decide to stay. I say that because the stop for Cambrige Beaches was awful and we then opted to not use buses. We could get a shuttle to the end of the property but then it was down the hill to the end of the street, then down another street. We had my 80 yr old dad with us, while in great shape and bike rides a lot, the heat and walk was tiring for him. If we had known that, we may have not stayed there. If you are traveling with anyone that is in a wheelchair, the busses are not wheelchair accessible. There are other busses but you must call them to get you.

By staying at Cambridge Beaches, we did eat at some restaurants at Royal Navy Dockyard...excellent and fun.

Busses are great and inexpensive. Check out getting tokens for the week (or how many days you are staying) as you can get a break on them. If you do not use them all, I believe the hotel will buy them back. At least, Cambrige Beaches did.

Not knowing if you have any limitations as far as walking but check out where the bus stop is for wherever you decide to stay. I say that because the stop for Cambrige Beaches was awful and we then opted to not use buses. We could get a shuttle to the end of the property but then it was down the hill to the end of the street, then down another street. We had my 80 yr old dad with us, while in great shape and bike rides a lot, the heat and walk was tiring for him. If we had known that, we may have not stayed there. If you are traveling with anyone that is in a wheelchair, the busses are not wheelchair accessible. There are other busses but you must call them to get you.

By staying at Cambridge Beaches, we did eat at some restaurants at Royal Navy Dockyard...excellent and fun.

Thanks for the info!!! I don't know if I will get there this year but hopefully next year!! I may be asking for more advice from you!!

Thanks for the info!!! I don't know if I will get there this year but hopefully next year!! I may be asking for more advice from you!!

Anytime :)

Also, if you go next year, the Americas Cup will be held in Bermuda. If the dates you would go is around that time, book soon.

My two favorite vacations.... Disney World and Caribbean Cruise. We've only done Disney once and Royal Caribbean Cruise with our kids (plus Disney Cruise but that was Dr's family cruise). So its a matter of which one to do again.
You mentioned Carnival which will be great fun.

We are at Southampton Princess-though apparently it is no longer Princess and just the Fairmont Southampton. We have stayed here many times over the years and just love it. Staff is amazing; it is definitely an old hotel but they do an incredible job keeping it up, and I just think it has a ton of charm. We have stayed at Hamilton princess, Grotto Bay and Elbow Beach in the past, but my SIL's wedding is at Tucker's Point-I've haven't been but it looks nice!!

We are at Southampton Princess-though apparently it is no longer Princess and just the Fairmont Southampton. We have stayed here many times over the years and just love it. Staff is amazing; it is definitely an old hotel but they do an incredible job keeping it up, and I just think it has a ton of charm. We have stayed at Hamilton princess, Grotto Bay and Elbow Beach in the past, but my SIL's wedding is at Tucker's Point-I've haven't been but it looks nice!!

I still call it the Southampton Princess! The first time I went to Bermuda, we were at the Hamilton Princess and the Southampton Princess wasn't open yet. It was in the process of being built. I've stayed at Elbow Beach, Sonesta Beach (no longer, near Southapton Princess) and Cambridge Beaches. Tucker's Point looks awesome. Bermuda is a lovely, beautiful and special place for us.

Enjoy!

Did you fly to Bermuda or cruise there? I have been wanting to go to Bermuda forever!! ive been looking at hotels and bed and breakfasts. I would love to hear your feed back! How long are you staying there for?
I've never cruised there. I know it's a popular cruise destination now but there are such great places to stay, and it is such a short flight from NY, I've had no desire. Most of the times we have come have been to meet my dad, who sails in the Newport to Bermuda race. Only thing is, it is rather expensive here and a cruise makes it a little easier. I have heard the ships only dock for 3 days; not nearly long enough to enjoy the island imo. We are here for 5 and I wish we had longer.

It is tricky to get around and taxis are pricey. Scooters are an option but roads are incredibly narrow and lined by coral walls. Plus you are driving on the left. I witnessed a nasty scooter accident here as a kid and decided then I would never get on one.

And beware of Portuguese man o wars in the ocean! My poor 3yo was stung on his hands our second day here. Sooo painful. I was even hurting from where he touched me when I picked him up. We ended up in the ER(which is brand new and lovely, btw), where they gave him some morphine. He was totally fine the next day but it was no fun and he refused to go back to the beach the rest of the trip. Today we were walking on Horseshoe Bay beach and I saw at least 5 washed up on the sand. The beaches are just so beautiful though! It won't keep us away!!

I'd rather spend 4 hours at Fun Spot than a day at Disney these days.
Don't get me wrong, Disney will always be special to us, all the great memories we have of our kids there, but it is becoming more and more difficult to justify the price/value of a vacation there.

It used to be we would stay on site and get the dining plan and have a fun, relaxing vacation. Now it is so expensive, and all the planning that has to be done 6 months and more out it almost seems like a work not a vacation. There is no spontaneity in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter