Cheapest way to make long distance calls?

Check your service plan, unless you have a national plan you'll have to pay roaming charges (the cell your phone connects to will be outside your calling area). Some plans (but not in the NY area) allow you to change to a different plan for a month.

Margaret, I agree with LewisC. Check your cellular calling plan. Even if you're dialing an 800 number, the cellular company usually charges you for your airtime and/or roaming charges. You will probably be better off just using the Sam's Club calling card by itself. BTW, I agree with you, life was simpler when it was just Ma Bell (I work for Verizon Communications). :D But back in those days (pre 1984) only rich people could afford cell phones, and I'm not even sure if calling cards existed. I guess people had to carry a lot of change. ;)

Sherry and Lewis,

I checked with my carrier and I will have to pay roaming charges. Interestingly, last June my daughter was in LA and used her cell to call home and there were no roaming charges. Maybe it was an oversight?

Thanks for the info.

Margaret

It depends on which plan and carrier you have. Many (most) of the Sprint PCS plans are national (no roaming charges if you're in an area where Sprint has service). Voicestream offers a national plan (for the areas they have service) the price is reasonable but you get fewer minutes than the regional plans. ATT and Verizon has national plans but they are bit more expensive.
People who travel alot get one of the national plans.

I love the At&T prepaid cards from Sams! I always travel with them, and even with the small surcharge from a payphone it's a bargain.
Avoid those cards sold at gas stations. My Mother bought one, and the surcharges were outrageous.

We always use calling cards to call home. Call from the hotel lobby to avoid the .75 charge if you're really frugal. This April just the kids and I went and DH stayed home (to work for more WDW) so once I called him and gave our room number he called us from then on ....no surcharge that way.

Sam's Clubs cards are fantastic. We are giving a ton as grad gifts to the college bound kids.

Our cell plan I pay a really cheap monthly fee and then per minute for each minute used. It ends up being a ton less than if I bought a packaged plan with XX minutes. (US Cellular business plan through work). However, it is .49 per minute for me if I were in Florida. I will still probably carry the phone so we can be reached in emergency or if I need to call out and don't want to hunt down a phone for a quick call. But no other tower or roaming charges.

My DH says that I am the cheapest woman alive but believe me when I return from the parks at the end of the day I will spend that 75 cents rather than save about 40 cents to call from the lobby. I am ready for a nice horizonal rest with a cold drink in a a/c room. I do keep track of how many calls I make so I don't get overcharged and make more than one call at a time with my Sam's card to avoid extra charges. I even use my Sam's card at home. Can't get cheaper service and I don't have to pay all those extra charges and taxes!!

Slightly Goofy (Linda)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter