Cheapest way to make long distance calls?

sawlacey

Earning My Ears
Would like to know the cheapest way to make calls home (Wisconsin) from the resorts? Am staying at Allstars. Want to avoid all the extra costs involved - resort charges, surcharges, etc.
Is just using a prepaid calling card the best & easiest way? Will there be surcharges using a calling card?
Any help is much appreciated! :D

even with a calling card the hotel gets 75 cents per call

When we go on vacation we take pre-paid calling cards, we even use them at home some times to keep in touch with DD in PA:bounce: Sorry didn't know about the surcharge!!!

You can get a prepaid card from COSTCO or SAMS CLUB for under 5 c/ minute. I think the cost for a toll free call from the room is 75c or you can use a payphone and have about 35c of extra minutes deducted from your card.

Ok - so it looks like calling cards must be the best way to go & that there is no way of completely getting around the surcharges. This may sound dumb but are there any charges for receiving calls at your resort room?:rolleyes: Thanks everyone for your quick answers!:D

We are going with the phone card. I got one at Sam's -500 minutes for $20.98 can't beat that!! We'll just make calls from a pay phone. I am carrying the cell phone for emergencies while driving cause I hate to use it otherwise.

Melissa

I've been using an online PrePaid service at www.onesuite.com - the service is great and it is 2.9 cents per minute - which is the lowest I've come across... there are no fees other than a payphone fee of 55 or 75 cents... So if you're using a payphone it may or may not be the best deal.... A resort phone doesn't fall under that classification though... I don't think!

Don't forget that many calling cards have an access charge associated with usage and some add on a pay phone charge as well. So if you buy a card for 100 minutes, you may not get 100 one minute calls. Make sure you know what yours does and doesn't charge for.

I purchased a pre-paid calling card for our trip last Feb. so I wouldn't have to listen to DH yappin' at me about "running up the phone bill" the whole time I was on the phone with the boys, who we left at home, 'in charge'. I used a pay phone a couple of times while we were at the World, and it worked out great. I'm not sure about surcharges, but frankly I was only concerned with a couple of things: talking with my boys and shutting my DH up. The pre-paid card did that for me, and I'll still have plenty of time on it for our upcoming trip in July!! I think it was $10 well spent.

We use Sprint PCS and they have free nation-wide long distance. As long as you are calling within their network. Orlando is definately in their network and so are most areas with larger cities. I live in a small town, and we are still on their network. I asked the guy who sold us the phone about using the phone while we're in WDW and he said it would not use up any more time than if we were calling from home. I have also used my cell phone to call all those long distance numbers to book our hotel, make PS's etc.

Here's coming from the dreaded phone company (I have the displeasure of working for one):

Any calling card call made from a payphone is going to have a surcharge. That's the way the company who owns the phone gets compensated when you are using someone elses calling card.

Calls from hotels vary. It depends on the hotel on whether or not they charge you a surcharge to make a call, whether it be local, toll, calling card, etc. The norm is around .75 per call.

Do NOT use a calling card from your "friendly local phone company." For example, say you're calling from Florida (Verizon territory) to Pennsylvania (also Verizon territory). Even though Verizon serves both areas, per current federal regulation, they are not allowed to connect the call using Verizon equipment, lines, etc. The call will go through whatever long distance company serves the hotel, usually AT&T, Sprint, or WorldCom. These calling cards calls are usually very high in price. I have seen as high as $9 for a one minute call. That's an exception, but the per minute and surcharges are still very high.

Your best bet (unless you have a cell phone with nationwide calling included) is to buy an AT&T pre-paid calling card from Sam's Club. These are cheaper and a better deal calling wise than the comparable card from Wal Mart. I don't have a Sam's membership, but had a co-worker pick up one for me. Don't throw the card away, they can be recharged with a credit card for 3.7 cents per minute. There are no surcharges on this particular card, except for the payphone fee. Plus, as I mentioned before, Disney may charge you a small charge. If you can't get ahold of a Sam's Club AT&T calling card, try picking up another pre paid one, but keep in mind that sometimes the surcharges are really high. Still, it's usually better than the alternative.

Hope this info helps someone out there.

I found a cheap local long distance company (6 cents a minute and no fees etc.) AND have the Sam's Club card (less than 4 cents a minute) and have dropped my long distance carrier. I not only get the cheaper rate but avoid all those added taxes (about $6 a month). I used my Sam's Club card at DW in April and used the option to make more calls on one DW call to keep the 75 cent charges to a minimum. You make one call and let them hang up and then you can dial another number without DW getting another fee. I made as many as 5 calls at a time this way. I might save a few cents calling from a pay phone but after a long hard day in the parks I enjoy the luxury of calling while laying on the bed with a big mug of iced tea. Hope I made this understandable and it h elps someone. I have got to file my trip report this weekend before someone out there comes and bops me on the head. I enjoy reading everyone else's and should do my share. (grin)

Linda

Matris2 - thats a great idea about making more than one call at a time to save on that 75 cent resort fee! I will surely take advantage of that!:p

You are very welcome and I am glad that I could contribute something useful.

Linda

I am not real thrifty or knowledgeable about phone charges, but I lucked out on my trip last year. When I bought my van, I was enrolled in some sort of travel club that sent me a free 30-minute pre-paid calling card. I carried this thing around for 18 months, but dug it out to call home one day from a payphone in Downtown Disney to save on the resort surcharge. The operator immediately said "22 minutes left on your card" so there must have been an 8-minute surcharge of some type. I did not worry, since it was a free card. While at Epcot the next day, I wanted to call home from that giant phone at the exit of Spaceship Earth, but knew from experience how expensive it was(we billed a call to my sister to our home phone...Whew...1 call, $9!!!) so I whipped out that card again. At the end of the call, I was told how many minutes remained on my card,and I don't think there was a surcharge! I know I talked for @ 5 minutes, and that was all that was deducted.

I carried both our cell phones with us and they were great. We also left our 17 and 21 year olds at home. So I had to keep in touch with them. No roaming charges with Voicestream.

The nice thing about the phone cards at Sam's Club is that you can buy one card with the whole 500 minutes on it or buy5 - 100 minute cards in one pkg. - that way others can have their own!

Please let me know if I have my thinking straight on phone calling.

I have Sam's Club ATT Calling card at 4.16 cents per minute and I have a cell phone. I can avoid 75 cent hotel charge if I call home with both these. Since I am calling an 800 number to access calling card, there should be no cell phone long distance or roaming charges, right?

Another member of my group also has a cell phone (both from Connecticut). If I call her while we are both in DW, would that be a long distance call since both phones are from out of state? And if it is long distance, I assume I could use a calling card?

My Nokia 5140 (?) is set up so I can program in calling card number so I wouldn't need to remember that number and I think I can program in the ATT 800 number.

Wasn't life simpler when it was just Ma Bell? (But not as much fun!).

Margaret in CT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter