Cheaper Tents

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
I've seen some tents recommended on here that were in the $300-$600 range, but I'm looking for two tents that are on the inexpensive side. Exactly how inexpensive, I don't know. Are there good ones less than $200, less than $100?

I'd like one tent for DH and me, and one tent for DS and DD. Each tent would have two twin mattresses like this. It would be nice if they were big enough for the mattress and a bit of extra space, maybe small plastic drawers between the two mattresses.

The company DH works for just slashed the pay of everyone who works there; he's now bringing home about half of what he was making (they went from commission pay to hourly pay). I still want to do Disney, we just have to do it cheaper now!

I've seen some tents recommended on here that were in the $300-$600 range, but I'm looking for two tents that are on the inexpensive side. Exactly how inexpensive, I don't know. Are there good ones less than $200, less than $100?

I'd like one tent for DH and me, and one tent for DS and DD. Each tent would have two twin mattresses like this. It would be nice if they were big enough for the mattress and a bit of extra space, maybe small plastic drawers between the two mattresses.

The company DH works for just slashed the pay of everyone who works there; he's now bringing home about half of what he was making (they went from commission pay to hourly pay). I still want to do Disney, we just have to do it cheaper now!

Have not checked them for myself, but someone on here recently said they got nice ones from Walmart.

I have a Coleman Cimmaron that I bought at Walmart a few years back. It was less than $200. This style tent is easy to put up and take down. It's an 8 person tent, which means it really only has room for 4 twins or 2 queen air mattresses. This tent may be no longer available, but I'm sure they will have a similar style. This tent has been in some pretty bad storms and never leaked. I always put a tarp under the tent to help with ground moisture and to protect it from the rocks on the tent pad.

I have a tent I purchased at Kmart. It was 40.00 tent That I got at 50% off 20.00. its a Nortwest Territory 4 person tent and its very roomy and can stand up in it. I pull it out of our RV whenever any of our children and grandchildren can come stay with us wherever we camp.

Yes you can find good tents for under $200. It comes down to how often will you be using them and in what type of weather. If only a few times each year during the summer an inexpensive tent will work fine. The higher end tents are made with better materials and have all the seams sealed for waterproofing and will last many years. If you want two tents with extra room inside for air mattresses and room to store clothes you will probably want a minimum of a four person tent, when they say two person thats shoulder to shoulder without much extra room. I camp a lot with my son and we have a eight person north face tent, we can fit all our gear two twin air mattresses with three feet between them for moving around in the tent. Check out Amazon and look at the reviews on tents, you will get honest reviews from actual owners.

OP here. I'm only looking to tent camp at Disney, every other year - maybe once a year. We'd be going in late April/early May or Oct/Nov.

My DH might want to camp at places other than Disney, though I don't know why. :confused3

OnlyDisney,

I've camped hundreds of nights in tents on the ground with Boys Scouts as an adult and boy plus on family trips. Inexpensive tents will work just fine but sometimes they take more preparation to become that great tent.

There are two things to do to a tent to make it more leak-proof. The first is to spray it with a water-proof spray in an aerosol can that can be found at any outdoors or sporting goods store. Some sprays are general water-proofing spray (also for clothes, etc.). Some sprays are labeled for use on tents which is what I've used and was happy with it.

The second thing is to "seal the seams" to prevent leaks. This is a waxy product (like a Chapstick) or a thick liquid that your spread over all the sewn seams in the tent (especially up high) to fill in or swell the threads because sometimes the holes made by the sewing machine needle are big enough to let water seep in sometimes. It's a little harder to find than the spray but it's usually in the sporting or outdoors stores or more specialized backpacking stores.

You can do these two steps after you buy the tent or do none or one after you've had it a while. As far as tents, get one you will use. Don't get an a-frame pup style if you want to only use it for "Car Camping" like at the Fort (drive up to your site and set up out of the car trunk). Get a cabin-style tent that you can stand up in (or sit in during the rain with your folding chair) if that's how you plan to use it.

If your tent goes home wet, take it out and dry it before storing it away for the next trip. I hang mine from the unfinished ceiling of my garage. Lots of mesh helps move fresh air but also means you can lose any heat inside more easily. Personally I like tents with the additional rain fly for the top/sides to shed and avoid most water coming into contact with the main portion underneath. Some flies are rinky-dinky but I like one that actually functions as an additional layer of rain protection. But it's not a requirement.

My point is almost any tent will do. Just make sure the seams are well stitched, zippers are easy and well stitched, and get whatever size/style/number you want. Treat it as I described above if you want to or feel the need. Finally sometimes when you sleep you might get moisture on the inside surface of the tent mostly up near the top which comes on cooler nights which condenses the moisture from your breath when you sleep. Using a fan to gently circulate air or opening the cover on the mesh to let the breeze push some air will eliminate the condensation.

Bama Ed

PS - you will want to get a ground cloth which can be cut from a thicker paint drop cloth to put between the ground and the tent to be a water barrier from puddled water and to protect the tent floor from dirt or rough surfaces. Don't cut it wider than the tent (or use one wider) unless you fold it under the edge of the tent. I've seen lots of tents with the ground cloth sticking out and it's great at catching the rain that runs down the side of the tent...:headache: so use a gc that is tucked under the tent (or cut to that size).

Thanks Bama Ed! You always have great advice!

Let's see if I can get the links to work!

This is what I've found so far for a Coleman Evanston 6 Screened Tent http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E4AW1K...TF8&colid=2Z0LZDHUBHNMF&coliid=I14836FAR4CX24. I wonder if two of these would work for us. I'm not sure about the screen room, seems like it would let in a lot of rain.

Maybe this Coleman would be a better one? Coleman Camping Coleman Montana 6 Person Tent http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...Coleman+Camping+Coleman+Montana+6+Person+Tent

I also like Coleman Camping Coleman Evanston 8 Person Tent this one, but I'm thinking it might be a bit big since we'd be using 2 of them.

Oh the decisions! The only thing I know for certain is that I want two tents, one for us and one for the kids.

We have a Coleman instant tent and love it. Plenty of room, not a bad price and could not be easier to set up. I have set our 8 man tent up with just my son as help. He was 4. Amazon has 4 man tent for $106.

I totally agree with all Bama Ed's advice.

As a matter of fact, we just treated our tent with water repellent spray. This is what I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ7CLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 On our tent, it took 2 cans of spray to do two coats. It was a really easy process. Just in case my link is bad, I bought Kiwi Camp Dry, Heavy Duty Water Repellent, 12oz

I couldn't open your first two links, but that last Coleman tent looks fine to me. I think you'll be happy with that size. Two twin air mattresses will leave a nice open area for the other things you mentioned.

Thanks Bama Ed! You always have great advice!

This is what I've found so far for a tent. I wonder if two of these would work for us. I'm not sure about the screen room, seems like it would let in a lot of rain.

Maybe this Coleman would be a better one?

I also like this one, but I'm thinking it might be a bit big since we'd be using 2 of them.

Oh the decisions! The only thing I know for certain is that I want two tents, one for us and one for the kids.

Only the last link worked but I googled the names of the other tents.

Here are the main two things I look for in a tent.

A bathtub floor. This is were the floor wraps up on to the wall to the wall of the tent which puts that seam up away from the ground. Like this.

tent-tub-floor.jpg

Second I look for a tent where the fly covers as much tent as possible but at least the widows. In other words, if you looked at the tent from above you shouldn't be able to see the windows.

Here is an extreme example.

312DukkIkoL._SY300_.jpg

I think this would be about the right size and has a good design.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...door-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1422712939&sr=1-7

A four person size would work for the foot print but you also want to look at center height so you can stand up.

I tried to find the other tents you had links to and I think I found them.

http://www.coleman.com/product/coleman-evanston-screened-6-person-tent/2000007825#.VMziimjF98E

While I love the design of the fly, I'm not so sure how useful that small screened in "porch" would be.

http://www.sears.com/coleman-tent-m...a=00682737000P&kpid=00682737000&mktRedirect=y

I don't like how the fly doesn't cover the side widows. Water can just roll down right on to those seams. Though I have seen worse.

Oh I really don't think the sprays are needed for a new tent in fact I think some manufacturers say to not to use them as they may harm waterproofing already on the fabric. Maybe if you have an old canvas tent.

Seam sealing yes but even these cheaper tents may have taped seams at least on the fly so if done right the seam is already sealed. Also any seam covered by the fly doesn't have to be sealed.

655941540_873.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Thank you everyone! :goodvibes

I think I've fixed the links showing the tents I'm looking at. Thank you especially to all who took the time to figure out what I was asking about.

A question about waterproofing. So should I, or should I not, waterproof a new tent?

Thank you Thank you everyone! :goodvibes

I think I've fixed the links showing the tents I'm looking at. Thank you especially to all who took the time to figure out what I was asking about.

A question about waterproofing. So should I, or should I not, waterproof a new tent?

Those Colemans you listed offer what they call a WeatherTec feature to keep you dry. So I would probably NOT add any waterproofing at first if I had the Coleman. That's why I said you can do none/neither of those two steps at first and just see how it goes after you've had it a while. But you know what to do if needed.

Also, among the style of tents you listed, I like the Evanston style with the enclosed "front porch" or vestibule. When I think of using a tent at the Fort, you will have the crushed shell (coquina) particles to deal with. I like the enclosed area with a tent floor where you could put a folding chair and keep all shoes outside in the vestibule to minimize shell in the sleeping area or in the sheets. :eek: When you wake up, you can sit out side, put your shoes on, and go forth.

The other tent styles have the cover over the opening but you would take those early morning steps in your socks or bare feet on grass, dew, or dirt and while you could get by like that, I like the idea of "shoes stop at the door". In fact, that was a rule with our popup camper. Shoes were not generally allowed inside.

Obviously if it rained you might bring the shoes inside the door so they wouldn't get wet.

Chartle is absolutely correct about the seam tape used nowadays. It's been several years since I bought a new nylon tent (bought some used more recently) so the tape may be ubiquitous now.

Bama Ed

Also, among the style of tents you listed, I like the Evanston style with the enclosed "front porch" or vestibule. When I think of using a tent at the Fort, you will have the crushed shell (coquina) particles to deal with. I like the enclosed area with a tent floor where you could put a folding chair and keep all shoes outside in the vestibule to minimize shell in the sleeping area or in the sheets. :eek: When you wake up, you can sit out side, put your shoes on, and go forth.

I just think screened in anything just leads to a lot of extra unzipping and zipping. Thats why I refuse to get a screened in canopy.:thumbsup2

OP one other thing to do is apply some sort of lube to all the zippers. Cheaper tents can use cheaper less robust zippers and they can jam up, fail and zip the tent.

Regular candle wax should be fine but if you wanted something hightech you could use some sort of dry lube.

Last edited:
Those Colemans you listed offer what they call a WeatherTec feature to keep you dry. So I would probably NOT add any waterproofing at first if I had the Coleman. That's why I said you can do none/neither of those two steps at first and just see how it goes after you've had it a while. But you know what to do if needed.

The other tent styles have the cover over the opening but you would take those early morning steps in your socks or bare feet on grass, dew, or dirt and while you could get by like that, I like the idea of "shoes stop at the door". In fact, that was a rule with our popup camper. Shoes were not generally allowed inside.

Obviously if it rained you might bring the shoes inside the door so they wouldn't get wet.

Chartle is absolutely correct about the seam tape used nowadays. It's been several years since I bought a new nylon tent (bought some used more recently) so the tape may be ubiquitous now.

Bama Ed

We like to park a fold up chair next to the tent, along with a plastic container. Shoes and socks come off while sitting in the chair---shoes go into the plastic container, socks into a plastic bag inside the container. If the feet are super stinky, I'll force the use of wet wipes before entering the tent. Shoes stay dry and contained; stinky socks stay outside.

We have some mats that we put down inside the tent. As we use cots, the mats help keep the cot legs from ripping up the floor. They work great if you have a dog in the tent too (or just active kids). I got these ones at Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076SPZO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It takes slightly less than 2 sets to cover the floor in my big 8 man Coleman.

When we tent camped, we used padded moving blankets on our tent floor. They could be washed easily and provided padding and a little warmth in the morning.

We like to park a fold up chair next to the tent, along with a plastic container. Shoes and socks come off while sitting in the chair---shoes go into the plastic container, socks into a plastic bag inside the container. If the feet are super stinky, I'll force the use of wet wipes before entering the tent. Shoes stay dry and contained; stinky socks stay outside.

We have some mats that we put down inside the tent. As we use cots, the mats help keep the cot legs from ripping up the floor. They work great if you have a dog in the tent too (or just active kids). I got these ones at Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076SPZO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It takes slightly less than 2 sets to cover the floor in my big 8 man Coleman.

I like the idea of using a chair and tub next to the door. And I never thought about putting something down inside the tent to give it some padding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter