Cheap walking-distance hotel - which would you choose?

Winnowill

DIS Veteran
We're going on a semi-impromptu Disneyland trip Thursday and Friday after Christmas. Yes, we know it's going to be busy. But my DD9 is really sad that California Screamin' is going away, so we're going to give her the chance to ride it one last time (and see Disney at Christmas - she's never seen it before). We'll be in the parks 12/28 and 12/29, but we're trying to be as economical as possible with our choices - one of which is to NOT pay for parking at the parks. The question is - Days Inn West Anaheim (at Ball and Disneyland Drive) or Quality Inn & Suites on Katella? They're within $3/night of each other, price-wise, so that's basically a wash. Are either or both walkable, or are they pulling my leg when they say they are? We're not overly concerned with room quality - we don't intend to spend very much time there, but if one of them is clearly better, that could be a decider, also.

I've booked them both - just need to know which one to cancel!

I'm not sure how long the walk is from Quality Inn, but the Days Inn is about a 10 minute walk from the Mickey & Friends structure. We've stayed at the Super 8 that's close to the Days Inn and walked to the trams from there.

I'm not sure how long the walk is from Quality Inn, but the Days Inn is about a 10 minute walk from the Mickey & Friends structure. We've stayed at the Super 8 that's close to the Days Inn and walked to the trams from there.
Are people still allowed to walk that way with the new security setup?

Are people still allowed to walk that way with the new security setup?

Good point, I didn't think about the new security set up. I don't know. I haven't been to the structure since the new set up has been in place.

if you want walking distance, then you need to be at any of the hotels on Harbour before the crossing at Disney Way. Dessert Inn and Suites, Tropicana or Best Western are the closest.

Is the Quality Inn the one by BW Stovall’s? If so we have done that walk before. You have to go past PPH and thru DTD. It’s doable, but my 4yo only managed the walk back well one of our two days that trip.
Have you looked at Kings Inn on Katella? It was a Super 8 prior to October of this year and right next to Hotel Indigo. We stayed there this September and the rates were really reasonable. Also no complaints on the hotel. I would say the walk was a little better than the one from the other side of Katella (Quality Inn) because you mostly just go down Harbor and enter right next to the gates.

if you want walking distance, then you need to be at any of the hotels on Harbour before the crossing at Disney Way. Dessert Inn and Suites, Tropicana or Best Western are the closest.

"Walking distance" is subjective. For us, walking distance is within a mile or so.

"Walking distance" is subjective. For us, walking distance is within a mile or so.
Yep. For us, with a 1yo in a stroller and a walking 4yo it’s .5 mile max. Even that can be too much if we try to do it multiple days in a row.

I would start calling the places right across the street. It may not be possible to get reservations within walking distance at this point.

Stayed on Ball Rd. ONCE....and never again! While the walk was doable, it was a pain and not many people around.....and I think the new security set up makes it more complicated. Primarily, though, it is quite isolated over in that area, especially compared to Harbor. Nothing much around but the hotels. I would not recommend that Ball Rd. area. It's just really not that close at all!

We have stayed at the Red Lion, and that walk was totally doable for us. We even walked to the Toy Story lot one night (different trip) when the lines for the shuttle buses were crazy long. So a walk of a mile or so isn't terrible.

I've also found a really good rate at the Motel 6 on Disney Way. That's a little farther than we'd ideally like to go, but at least I know how to get to the entrance gates from there.

There is some availability across the street but, like I said, economy is the main goal this stay - they're all a good $70+/night more than what I've got now.

If you're ok with it, Uber is only $5.15 each way from the Motel6 Maingate so would probably be about the same for any place within a mile or two of DL.

Using Uber 'pushes out' the boundaries as far as distance, imo. It's so easy and pretty much door to door service. We use it all the time these days; myself, BFF and her DD. No walking and no waiting for buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter