Cheap, non-terrible hotels?

cooldude4000

Earning My Ears
So we're honeymooning in San Diego next month and my wife's best friend generously gave us three days/two nights at Disneyland/the Disneyland Hotel for a wedding present. San Diego is about a two-hour drive, so we're thinking we'd like to get ourselves a cheap room in or near Anaheim the night before our first day at the park so we don't have to get up super early that morning. Any suggestions for where we should stay? Low price is our number-one priority: the room doesn't have to be anything special, or even all that close to the park--just not gross or scary. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Look around, maybe Orange or Fullerton?

Check out the Motel 6 Maingate (consistently good reviews here) and both Super 8 hotels (on Katella or on Disneyland Dr.). Anaheim Plaza might work, too. All of these are walking distance to the parks or on an ART route.
Have you looked at the web travel sites like Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, etc.?

Last edited:

There are many affordable places in Anaheim. If you want to get as close to Disneyland as possible, look at Google Earth on Harbor Blvd. and Katella St. for the walking distance options. I can recommend the Fairfield Inn on Harbor, and the Tropicana down the road. If you get in early, you can explore Downtown Disney a bit and maybe grab dinner. There are also a lot of chain restaurants on Harbor like Panera Bread, Dennys, IHOP, and more. There is also the always awesome Pizza Press!

If you don't need / want to be that close, you could look a bit further out, but most places probably won't have as much competition and it may be hard to beat the rates in Anaheim. I truly haven't looked!

There is also the Hotel Tonight app, where you can always find availability for Anaheim hotels. Usually at their lowest rates as they try to fill rooms!

If you don't need / want to be that close, you could look a bit further out, but most places probably won't have as much competition and it may be hard to beat the rates in Anaheim. I truly haven't looked!

That's actually a great point--I was thinking that closer hotels would charge a premium, but I hadn't considered the competition factor. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Not sure what you consider cheap, but I would check out the Hilton or Marriott on convention way.

That's actually a great point--I was thinking that closer hotels would charge a premium, but I hasn't considered the competition factor. Thanks so much!

No problem!

You guys are going to love the Disneyland Hotel! Make sure and spend a little time in the pool area and Trader Sam's, the nearby bar. It gets busy, but with just the two of you, it will be easy to sneak in at some point and enjoy the fun effects and atmosphere. If you want to splurge, you can order room service breakfast!

Congratulations and have fun!

I've been looking into this and it looks like Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites is your best bet. It's potentially less than $100 a night if your timing is right

Not sure what you consider cheap, but I would check out the Hilton or Marriott on convention way.
Thanks! I should have mentioned. Definitely less than $100, hopefully somewhere closer to $75. We've been looking at AirBnBs; they seem to hover around $100 a night, and you're always taking a chance with those. Great to have all these suggestions!

Thanks! I should have mentioned. Definitely less than $100, hopefully somewhere closer to $75. We've been looking at AirBnBs; they seem to hover around $100 a night, and you're always taking a chance with those. Great to have all these suggestions!
Here are a couple of maps of the area around DLR
http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Disneyland/default.asp
http://anaheim411.com/2008_mapFRONT_xl.jpg 2008 so it's missing newer facilities.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/walking-distance-hotel-list-w-discussion-details-of-hotels.2796786/ This thread is from 2011.

Geemo

I would use Hotwire and pick something in Orange County with at least 2 1/2 stars and at least 90 percent recommended. We do it all the time and haven't had a bad experience.

Check Desert Inn and Suites, it's directly across from the gate, 5 minutes from the turnstiles. Clean and comfortable, not fancy, but free continental breakfast. If you book far enough in advance you can sometimes get it for 89 or 99 a night.

So we're honeymooning in San Diego next month and my wife's best friend generously gave us three days/two nights at Disneyland/the Disneyland Hotel for a wedding present. San Diego is about a two-hour drive, so we're thinking we'd like to get ourselves a cheap room in or near Anaheim the night before our first day at the park so we don't have to get up super early that morning...
You should still plan on getting up early, but perhaps not "super early".
Your 2 nights at DLH will allow you to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour all 3 days, since the benefit applies to both the check-in and check-out days. Check-in at DLH an hour before the start of EMH, to give you time to walk to the main gates.

My wife and i stayed at the Super 8 in February for a week....we are DVc members, so we are used to decent accommodations....we loved the Super 8, it was clean, close, quiet, and above all...really cheap! (the one on katella)

You might try out Hotel Menage or the Indigo. These are places geared more for adults, and will probably have a better honeymoon feel.

Lemon tree is a short drive, very cheap (they always have discount codes online) and nice for what you pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter