Cheap Airfare to Peru

LukenDC

DIS Veteran
My partner and I are visiting Peru in March-April 2010 and while we are not going on an ABD tour, I have read trip reports on this board for general information. I'm pleased to be able to share some information of my own for folks headed to Peru.

On Friday we bought our plane tickets. Each ticket was $391 RT from Washington, DC to Lima on COPA. TACA offered fares of $411 RT from DC to Lima. We bought our tickets through AmericanExpress.com, but the same fares can be found on other sites through sidestep.com.

Hope this helps!

Hi...
I read your post and i am looking for more information regarding your post... As early as possible i try to collect information on it...

I'm from Peru and for last four years been buying my mother's ticket to come visit us in Virginia. The best deals I've found have been on AA, I used Kayak (former sidestep?) and the search feature by month if dates are flexible is great. I do not feel comfortable with any stops in central american countries but that's just me.
This summer I took my kids for first time ever to Lima, I found r/t tickets at $249 each :woohoo: and was too hard to resist! We traveled from VA to Mia then Lima and had no longer than 2 hours wait (if that!) between stops. Now that rate I haven't seen before but average trip for my mom has been between high $300 to low $500, there are lower fares with more stops or longer wait between flights that to me are just not worth the savings.
Good luck to all!

BTW I was wondering if my kids would enjoy the trip, ages 9 and 6, being that they are Disney snobs ;) but they loved Lima and did not want to come back, they only speak English and were never bored and now they want to go back yearly...only if I can find a deal like the one this summer.

I've been surprised by the inexpensive airfare to Peru. It's relatively far from the US and a hot tourist destination, so I was expecting to pay more.

I don't mind stopping in Central America; it adds to the adventure. In 2007 I flew to Belize on TACA and had to change planes in El Salvador. El Salvador was very impressive from the air and I loved seeing the volcanoes, including the infamous Izalco. Our COPA flight to Lima stops in Panama City. I'm currently reading a book about the building of the Panama Canal and I will certainly be on the look out for it as we fly into Panama.

I am concerned about the cost of internal flights in Peru. We will be flying from Cusco to Arequipa and from Arequipa to Lima. LAN has a monopoly on flights to Arequipa and the lack of competition may result in high airfares.

LukenDC you make a great point, I did not think about the view from above on Central America cities!
I think I got the cheapest tickets I've ever seen this summer...wish there were more of those and more often but in general prices are not bad at all to Lima if dates are somewhat flexible.
I know what you mean about internal flights in Peru, I haven't been to Cuzco (one day) but spend many summers growing up in Arequipa, is it beautiful.
I hope you find a good deal :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter