Characters as an Adult - Should I feel bad?

Dormouse.

Enchanted Tales With Elle
My boyfriend (26) and I (22) had our first trip together (my first trip, ever) last week. My family never really had the disposable income to visit, and I'm a huuuuge Disney fan, so the trip meant a lot to me.

We made our very own autograph books, with the expectation of getting a few signatures here and there, but we enjoyed it so much once we got there that we spent most of our trip doing character meet-and-greets. To my knowledge, we only missed 3 characters (excluding characters only present for meals or unadvertised wandering characters).

I'm sure we might've gotten some weird looks from some adults, but I didn't notice. In fact, a lot of the parents we talked with in line were very pleasant, and their kids thought it was encouraging to know they wouldn't have to "give up" characters just because they got older. But on our last day there, we were waiting for Woody and Jessie (we tried to show up to all the meet-and-greets at least 15 minutes prior to their start time), and a woman who showed up after the meet-and-greet had started (but who was still able to get in line), started screaming at cast members that we shouldn't be there because we're adults and it's not fair to her/everyone else's children. She even went so far as to say that we'd cut in line and deserved to be thrown out of the park. No one else said anything like that to us our entire trip, but I can't stop thinking about it.

I looked into character stuff a lot before our trip. I made sure to get the clickable Sharpies, as suggested by the resources online, and we always had our books on a fresh page and stacked one on top of the other for our greets. If a character had signed previously, we made sure to remind them that we'd already met so they wouldn't waste time, and we didn't try to force an interaction with them unless they initiated an interaction (Baloo/Louie and Drizella/Anastasia were great and the highlights of our trip). We tried to always be conscious of the line behind us, and we never had an experience where we were the last people in-line before a cutoff and a family with kids tried to get in line (we would've certainly given them our place).

TLDR; Should I feel bad about doing meet-and-greets as an adult?

Don't feel bad at all! I get in lines for characters all the time. Disney is not a kids only park. You have just as much right (if not more if you think about it since you paid for yourself) then the kids in the park. Even if you are the last person to get in line and a family comes behind with a little kid and gets turned away that is not your fault!

My goodness. First of all - no. You shouldn't feel bad about meeting characters as an adult. I've done this numerous times, and just recently, I took my 86 year old grandmother-in-law to meet Mickey for the first time. The cast members, other folks in line, and Mickey himself could NOT have been more cool about it. I left in tears of joy because they were so amazingly awesome.

You can't control that lady's reaction, obviously, but you can rest assured that her views are not the views of the cast members or characters. Do your thing, go be happy and get character hugs and autographs, and enjoy it all! :)

Please don't let one unhappy woman become one of your big memories of your first WDW trip! Don't give her that space in your head! To quote a blonde who is significantly better known that I am - Let it go! Here's a thought - be thankful you ran into her on your last day, instead of your first! You might not have felt comfortable continuing to meet characters if that had happened early in your trip.

I'm in my 50's, have been to WDW a couple dozen times, and I still do Meet and Greets. Including on solo trips! So keep right on meeting characters, whenever you want to!

Absolutely do not feel bad at all. That woman was horribly rude; fortunately I've never seen anyone pull that rubbish. I really feel sorry for the CMs who have to put up with those guests day in day out.

I love meeting characters as a solo adult and like you, OP, strive to practice "good Character Etiquette." Don't let one Sour Apple ruin what sounds like a fun trip.

As a parent of two small ones, DO NOT FEEL bad! First, Disney is for everyone. Second, kids need to learn that they have to wait their turn.

Before I had little ones I did Character M&Gs because it is awesome, and so much fun to feel the magic. Where else do you get to stand next to such as a playful and gracious celebrity such as Mickey Mouse (among others). Also, snowflakes and all children (who are physically & mentally able - there are cases that need assistance or different considerations) should learn to stand in line and wait. I feel that instant gratification should not be the norm.

I have brought my boys starting at 1 & 2.5 and then again at 3 & 4.5 and have worked so that they know there will be lines but we keep them entertained and anticipating the fun of getting to meet the character. If they have to wait longer because an adult also wants to experience the fun that is OK and our fun shouldn't exclude someone else's fun. There will be lines, there will be families, there will be disappointment, but there will be fun.

I am glad you did all the characters you wanted, don't let one bad apple....

Oh - forgot to mention the M&Gs at the MNSSHP are AWESOME because they are all dressed up - when we went Piglet was a Flower - it was soooo cute.

And often times Adults take less time than kids for their interactions.

Oh, OP, sorry to hear about your unpleasant situation. I'm glad the rest of your meets went well... but as others have said, you shouldn't feel bad at all. The only person who should be feeling bad is the awful shouty woman.

There is no age limit on the character meets, and when DH and I met them together, or I met them alone, we had some great times. They were a lot of fun, and some of my best memories from our trip. In fact, I've got lots more meets planned next time, and one of my bucket list items for the next trip is to meet Donald in every park! :)

Please don't let one nasty person put you off making some awesome new memories on your next visit!

In Jan 2011, I went to WDW for my 2nd trip. I waited for 25 minute for Snow White after a line cut-off. I was 1st in line, she picked a child dress like her ahead of me. There was a family after Mini Snow who spoke up & told ADULT Snow I was first in line. Mini Snow's entire family took their pictures and didn't acknowledge me because I was alone. When it was my turn ADULT Snow did not apologize or smile to make me feel welcome. But I took my picture anyway.

I turned to her handler and asked where was Tiana. I was told she was in New Orleans Square. So I headed there, when I arrived there was a line cut-off again. Went to Hall of Presidents. When HOP ended, went back to Tiana. Got in line made sure I was last because I wanted to talk to her. Why? Because I was 48 year old BLACK woman and finally there was a princess who look like ME!

I was never into the princesses as a child because nobody looked like me. I liked Jasmine & Mulan because they are women of color. But Tiana means something special to me. My 52nd birthday is next month and Tiana is STILL special to me. So don't worry about some parent. Enjoy your time with the characters. And when you become a parent teach your little one to see the wonder and magic of Disney.

Last edited:
You should not feel bad at all! Part of being at Disney is being a little kid again! Don't let anyone take that away from you. It is your trip you are able to do what you want. You enjoy it!! Don't feel bad one bit =)

My husband and I did a ton of character meets on our trip, my first and his first as a grownup. It was awesome. Nobody was rude to us. That lady has issues- don't take it personally! OMG I would have flipped out if someone did that to me!

Yes, definitely do not feel bad about meeting characters. I have been going to Disney since day one and always love to interact with all my pals. I find that some characters like to interact with adults because they can do things that may be lost on the little ones! Especially the talking characters. So enjoy your next trip and soak in all the M&Gs you can!
party:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter