• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Meals as a Solo

fhtpdw20

DIS Veteran
Planning a solo trip and want to focus on photos with Characters. With park meet and greets, there will be a handler or photographer already there. What is the best way to get photos dining with the characters? It has been too long since family did the character meals for me to remember if there was anyone available to take photos. Thanks.

I did the 1900 Park Faire character breakfast and had to ask people at nearby tables to take photos. I didn't get photos with many characters as a result. I wasn't hidden in a corner or anything but I was in an awkward spot to interrupt nearby tables and didn't really want to except for the characters that mattered the most to me. Others I just took a picture myself rather than being in the photo.

I would try again but this was my first experience and I actually cancelled the second character breakfast I had planned (Crystal Palace) because I decided it was too difficult. I eat solo and travel solo all the time and this was a first for me finding it difficult.

Hopefully others will give you more encouraging stories. I do plan to do Crystal Palace when I go again but that will be all unless it goes well. I found the non-face characters easier whereas the Alice I met for barely 10 seconds as she rushed past after I mentioned I hadn't seen her (I think she came past when I first went to the buffet not realising she was heading my way) and I never bothered to ask the wait staff to send the Mad Hatter my way after that.

I've done quite a few character meals, all of them solo. Tusker House is definitely the best one I think for solos. The handlers are all close by and the wait staff are lovely and more than happy to take photos for you. Also the tables are pretty close together so it's easy to ask someone to take a photo for you. Akershus, CRT and 1900 Park Fare were ok. The princesses were all nice and very proactive to find someone to take photos when they saw I was on my own, as were Tigger and co.

My only really negative experience was at Chef Mickeys where I was no where near other tables to ask for help and the Handlers were no where near their characters, instead choosing to stand in a group chatting to each other. It is very hard to take selfies with Mickey & co because their heads are so big (and I have pretty long arms). I left the meal with awful photos and made a complaint to the manager.

I've done a few solo character meals and every time there was someone around to take pictures for me...either a waitress or the "handlers" or someone at the next table. Some are easier for selfies than others.

Even if someone doesn't immediately offer, you are paying for this experience and you have to be willing to just find someone to ask. :)

My favorite approach is to find another solo to meet up with, and take pictures of each other with the characters.

When no one is available to meet up, I've tried having the character handlers and waitstaff take the pictures. In my experience, sometimes they were there when I needed them, and other times, they were not around. Certainly not blaming the waitstaff, as waiting tables has to be their top priority. But for me, having another diner join when possible, has worked out better.

I have done solo character at Akershus and Crystal Palace. At Akershus, the waiter told me as soon as I sat down they would help with pictures. There were several families near by who also jumped up and helped. The princesses were lovely. Crystal Palace, the handlers were nearby and took pictures. Not as many families and also had a lot of kids who would jump into my picture, or grab the character before it could get to my table. The handlers were apologetic and it was not a big deal to me.

When I had breakfast at Hollywood & Vine a couple of years ago, I used a tip I learned here on the Dis: Doc McStuffins was the first character I met there, and I asked her if she knew someone who could take a picture of us. She summoned a nearby CM who happily took photos. I have also heard that if you ask the character for help, they might enlist a neighboring guest - for some of us, it's easier to let the character charm them into helping than to ask them yourself.

I was very lucky at H&V: I was seated fairly near the entrance, and the woman CM Doc brought over was stationed nearby and came over on her own again after that when she saw another character coming (my nice waiter was on hand for one, as well). That was my first (and so far only) solo character meal experience, but I'm planning a couple more this year; we'll see how they go.

This is so great to know! I only have 1 character meal booked at Tusker House on my birthday, so I will be sure to ask for help with pictures!

Thanks for all the responses. I did not know there was a handler available. My initial plan was to ask family near to take my photos and in return I would take theirs so that they get a photo of whole family. It is good to know that I can alert wait staff and podium that I am alone too.

Thanks for asking . I will be solo at CP in March. First solo trip . I mainly booked for the pre park opening and the puffed French toast so wasn't going to be too disappointed if no pictures. But , now I know I can find a way

Planning a solo trip and want to focus on photos with Characters. With park meet and greets, there will be a handler or photographer already there. What is the best way to get photos dining with the characters? It has been too long since family did the character meals for me to remember if there was anyone available to take photos. Thanks.
My very best character photos (as a solo diner) were at Crystal Palace! The lighting is fabulously flattering and the character handlers did the photos for me. I enjoyed the character interactions at all other dining events (Tusker House, 'Ohana, etc) but my best photos came from Crystal Palace.

I'm glad this question was asked as I'm going solo Sunday through Friday! I have plans to eat a late breakfast at the Tusker house and hope my waiter/waitress can help me out.

Never had an issue. The handlers did it at Crystal Palace and either the handlers or my waitress at Tusker House. It's been a few years (way back when Chip and Dale were at 'Ohana breakfast) but someone (I'm guessing a handler or server) took a picture of me and my sister with Chip and Dale at our 'Ohana breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter