• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Meal Vouchers...Worth it?

meyersfam11

Earning My Ears
I have been reading over threads trying to figure out if the character meal vouchers are worth it. I know they cover food, tax, and gratuity. However, we are a family of 4 and I don't know if it is worth it or not? We were planning on doing Goofy's Kitchen for dinner and Chip N Dale's breakfast.

Can anyone offer me any assistance?

We always do a character meal when we go. We even did it when we didn't have little kids with us. It is expensive but we always thought it was "worth it." Goofy's is our favorite but the Surf's Up one at Paradise Pier was good too. I think "worth it" is pretty subjective though. The food is plentiful and good (not 5 star restaurant but it's good) and it's fun to have the character interaction which is much more substantial than what you get in the park. We are going in August and doing Goofy's for breakfast for 8 people (insanely expensive) but we definitely think it is worth it.

It really just depends how important meeting characters is to your family. It's expensive, and the food isn't great no matter which one you do. My kids are 17 and 13 now, yet they still want to do a character meal because they love meeting the characters. We've done Ariel's a few times ... last year we did Goofy's Kitchen because they're not so much into princesses anymore but wanted to see Chip and Dale and that's where they were. You definitely get more interaction with the characters at a meal than you do when you just meet them at the park.

We used vouchers for our character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. They were included in our Costco package. The kids enjoyed seeing all the characters but if the vouchers hadn't been included its probably not something we would have done given the cost.

It really just depends how important meeting characters is to your family. It's expensive, and the food isn't great no matter which one you do. My kids are 17 and 13 now, yet they still want to do a character meal because they love meeting the characters. We've done Ariel's a few times ... last year we did Goofy's Kitchen because they're not so much into princesses anymore but wanted to see Chip and Dale and that's where they were. You definitely get more interaction with the characters at a meal than you do when you just meet them at the park.

Actually Chip and Dale are usually at 3 of the 4 character meals. Ariel's is the only one they don't hang out. Although that might be fun. ;)

I think the OPer is asking if the VOUCHERS are worth it, not if the actual meal is worth it.

I'm going over Spring Break (peak time) and having dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. I called the dining line and asked for prices for our date, and then priced out vouchers with Get Away Today. I'm sorry I don't have the numbers written down anymore, but I did not buy the vouchers. There was a savings, but using a Disney gift card purchased at 5% off (at Target) worked out to be a better deal (and I ended up buying gift cards at 9.75% off using BJ's and the Discover Card promotion).

When I looked into Vouchers they did not look worth it to me. The bloggers at disneylanddaily.com believe it's a big waste of money. I think they're worth it if they were part of a package, but the value doesn't look good to me. Also, if you qualify for any AP discounts etc., you cannot use them if you get a voucher.

The character meals are pretty worth it I think. We've been three times. Twice to Minnie's and once to Storytellers (Chip & Dale). Trying to decide if we should stick with Minnie's on our next trip or try Goofy's. Goofy's is more expensive, but it may be nice for a change and they offer dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter