• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Dining for 2 Awkward Adults

You can always ask a CM as a preference but for the prices you’re paying you should try some new restaurants! Sanaa in Africa at DAN is very delicious, Monsieur Paul is very delicious as well, Skipper Canteen is unique and Jungle cruise themed, The Wave at the Contemporary is delicious I personally LOVE Kona Cafe for brunch at the Polynesian
The meals with characters are breakfast only, so I will definitely look into the Wave and Kona - we've never done either. And lord knows I have eyed up that french toast they have!

I go to some of these with my other adult friends and it's not awkward. I'm not really "into" characters so, usually, I just give them a quick high-five, etc. and kind of disengage. I might get a picture if I want one, but they will move on pretty quickly if you give the impression that it's okay to do so. I don't really want to take up their time too much. Last time I was at Garden Grill though the place wasn't very busy, so they kept coming around. The kids at the table next to us got to spend so much time with them! It was cute just to watch.

Last edited:
Everyone is a kid or a "kid at heart in Disney. If you like the restaurant by all means, enjoy it. If you don't want characters around, let the character handlers know and you can be,skipped by. If you think you would like to meet one or two, please don't hesitate! We love Piglet's rosey checks and enjoy "her" company.

I'm going solo in June, I have booked a couple of character meals. I am shy too, but, for me, character meals are an important part of my Disney memories, and I am hoping that the CMs are used to awkward people, even adults, and if I am willing to engage, I hope they will help it to go well.

If you enjoy the restaurants, definitely go!

I would request no characters at check in, but still be prepared for them to come by, in case they don’t get the memo. Then just go with the flow if they do come by. :goodvibes

Garden Grill (PPO to hop on Soarin')
Tusker House (PPO to hop on Safari)
Crystal Palace
Chef Mickey's Brunch

The meals with characters are breakfast only, so I will definitely look into the Wave and Kona - we've never done either. And lord knows I have eyed up that french toast they have!

I would keep the PPOs, since you have a reason for those, and maaaaybe Crystal Palace, because I like the building itself (but Kona would be tempting! - I've never been.) I would definitely switch Chef Mickey's to the Wave, though - same general location, and we loved the food!

As for characters, yes, you can request they skip you. But they might not hear. The "smile and wave" might work too. But I agree with a few others that you might warm up to it. DH and I went just as adults before DS was born, and we actually got some cute characters pics at a meal - I especially remember Miko (from Pocahontas) and Chip & Dale.

DH and I don't have kids, but still do quite a few character meals. I like the characters and we usually do a quick visit as they come around - snap picture and say hello. A few years ago there was a table near us at Crystal Palace that didn't want interaction and what they did was as the characters stopped at their table, they just did a quick wave and continued their conversation with each other. The characters easily got the hint, gave them a quick wave and continued on.

Last trip we went to Crystal Palace but weren't interested in the characters, but we did want to try the restaurant. As they walked over we just waved, said hello, and smiled, they waved then moved on. I asked my nephew if he wanted any pictures, but he said no. I didn't feel it was awkward for us or them.

I would probably keep Tusker House and Garden Grill for the PPO benefit of Safari and Soarin' but drop the other two. Garden Grill is easy to just wave at the characters and not get up and interact. They usually end up coming by more than once in a meal and even with kids we just wave and continue eating. Tusker House I also think if you don't engage them they will just walk past. Both places you should also mention to your server that you're not interested in interacting with the characters.

The only time DH and I felt the least bit awkward going to a character meal was at 1900 Park Fare with Lady Tremaine, Cinderella, her stepsisters, and the prince. The stepsisters gave us weird looks like "What are you two doing here? Where are the kids?" We were a little uncomfortable, but then we remembered that it is their schtick to be rude. When we brought the whole family another time, the stepsisters were hilariously obnoxious and rude.

We did Chef Mickey's last week for dinner. We are 66 and 69. We didn't have any kids with us. We had a wonderful time just talking to the characters. No photos or autographs, just talking to them. It was fun.

Character interactions make me feel a little anxious too. I just plan out a short topic of "conversation" to jump into as soon as the characters show up at the table so there's no dead time. For example, at Topolino's Terrace, I told Minnie that I was a librarian and was looking forward to reading her poetry and getting the books at the library. My wife just usually comments on the character's outfit and then we snap a picture and get back to eating :)

At Chef Mickey's we talked about the food to Goofy, Mickey and Minnie. Talked about marriage to Donald (getting married to Daisy). Talked about dogs to Pluto.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter