• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character and Show Discussion Thread

If we do recognize one of the characters, can we go and say hi when they are in regular closthes?
You can. Some people don’t feel comfortable. Obviously it isn’t in the same league as meeting a character! 😂
Just be aware that if a CM is in regular street clothes, they are not working so may be busy or not able to chat.
Also please don’t say something like “hey you’re Cinderella”. You never know who can hear you and the CM is not going to outright admit it anyway. Preserving character integrity is still important even though they’re off the clock

You can. Some people don’t feel comfortable. Obviously it isn’t in the same league as meeting a character! 😂
Just be aware that if a CM is in regular street clothes, they are not working so may be busy or not able to chat.
Also please don’t say something like “hey you’re Cinderella”. You never know who can hear you and the CM is not going to outright admit it anyway. Preserving character integrity is still important even though they’re off the clock
What exactly is character integrity?

I have heard there is a kid of rivalry or jealousy between characters like the princesses and ones like Mickey. Is this true? What have you experienced with this?
On ships, the cast is quite small (compared to WDW) and most of us do a little bit of everything (fur, face, dancing, greeting etc). We also spend a lot of time together and become good friends throughout our months at sea. I have not experienced this onboard.
At WDW, I have to some extent in that people do treat you differently when you are in costume. You get used to people staring at you

If a child is scared of the characters how does the character handle that? Or do they just move on to the next in line?

If a child is scared of the characters how does the character handle that? Or do they just move on to the next in line?
The character will try to connect with the child in some way. If they refuse to be with the character by themselves, it’s best that a parent steps in to support the child

If you see my post from earlier about my mini-Spiderman meeting Spiderman, Spidey sat down and chatted with me/my 2yo from a safe distance (plus we were still having to social distance on the ship when the photo was taken) until my little Spidey got more comfortable

If you see my post from earlier about my mini-Spiderman meeting Spiderman, Spidey sat down and chatted with me/my 2yo from a safe distance (plus we were still having to social distance on the ship when the photo was taken) until my little Spidey got more comfortable
Yes exactly, a character will always try and make sure the child (or adult) feel safe and secure during the interaction. If they don’t want to get close they don’t have to. And the character performers are trained to keep talking throughout the interaction so it’s not like it all stops if the child doesn’t respond

So fur characters do rotate between other people and they are not always the same person playing that character for the duration of the cruise? It must be fun working with muckey and minnie

So fur characters do rotate between other people and they are not always the same person playing that character for the duration of the cruise? It must be fun working with muckey and minnie
There are a couple of people in each particular height range that can portray a few different characters, but a lot of the time do hang out with the same ones.
I am too tall to spend time with Mickey and Minnie!

Not sure how to phrase this question, but does the latest "live action" version of Little Mermaid change, or simply broaden the actors who can now be "friends" with Ariel? And yes, I completely empathize that having "Princesses that look like me / my daughter" is important to everyone.

If too sensitive, you don't need to answer.

Not sure how to phrase this question, but does the latest "live action" version of Little Mermaid change, or simply broaden the actors who can now be "friends" with Ariel? And yes, I completely empathize that having "Princesses that look like me / my daughter" is important to everyone.

If too sensitive, you don't need to answer.
You’re right, representation is important.
The live-action movie has broadened the role. You can now meet both versions of the character in the parks ☺️

Just wanted to say something about kids meeting characters. On my cruise last year, Disney Magic Norwegian Fjords I was watching the Formal Night Donald Meet and Greet outside Preludes. One family had a non verbal child maybe teenager, not sure sure how old in a wheelchair Anyways, Donald was amazing with this child, knowing exactly how to interreact and I just remember this beaming smile and peals of laughter. I went afterwards to guest services with a pixie dust note and I think some chocolates for guest services to pass to Donald.

The other thing I wanted to say is about life onboard the ship. I spoke to one CM who was on their first ship contract, having been a CM in the parks. While they loved the opportunity to travel and had an amazing summer in Europe, they did admit that ship life over the summer had been challenging. Particularly the fact of sharing a room and the always on call part of the job. They love being a cm and working for Disney but just realized that they preferred land based jobs. They had already applied for a land based job with Disney while on the ship as their contract was ending soon.

Sometimes you can love working for a company but not be happy in a particular department or work environment :)

Just wanted to say something about kids meeting characters. On my cruise last year, Disney Magic Norwegian Fjords I was watching the Formal Night Donald Meet and Greet outside Preludes. One family had a non verbal child maybe teenager, not sure sure how old in a wheelchair Anyways, Donald was amazing with this child, knowing exactly how to interreact and I just remember this beaming smile and peals of laughter. I went afterwards to guest services with a pixie dust note and I think some chocolates for guest services to pass to Donald.

The other thing I wanted to say is about life onboard the ship. I spoke to one CM who was on their first ship contract, having been a CM in the parks. While they loved the opportunity to travel and had an amazing summer in Europe, they did admit that ship life over the summer had been challenging. Particularly the fact of sharing a room and the always on call part of the job. They love being a cm and working for Disney but just realized that they preferred land based jobs. They had already applied for a land based job with Disney while on the ship as their contract was ending soon.

Sometimes you can love working for a company but not be happy in a particular department or work environment :)
That was so nice of you to recognize Donald like that. I am sure he appreciated it!
Yes exactly. I have been with DCL for a few years and have decided to leave and work on land. Maybe one day I’ll come back to ships but for now I want to be back at WDW

Was the CM you talked to a woman and was he guest services. I know someone on their first contract who worked at the parks and who cruised DCL about 100 times lol

You’re right, representation is important.
The live-action movie has broadened the role. You can now meet both versions of the character in the parks ☺️

I love this. Addition not subtraction was absolutely the best way to go. People can have the chance to meet whichever version they love or respond to or have a connection with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter