Chapter Markers for iTunes and iPod

Would you like to see chapter markers inserted into the DIS Unplugged Podcast

• Yes, I think it would make the podcast even better than it already is.

• No, I like the DIS Unplugged Podcast just the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.

archimedes76

Hot Dogs!
I have listened to many different poscasts and I notice that some podcasts include images and chapter markers that allow you to skip ahead or skip back within a podcast. I usually find these podcasts labeled as iTunes enhanced. One I listen to from time to time is called "Amateur Traveler Podcast" and can be found on iTunes in the podcasts section. I think its great to be able to skip forward and especially back if want some clarification on what was just said. Having the images pop up as the podcast plays makes it so much better. I would really like to see the DIS Unplugged Podcast also have these features so when they are talking about the pictures they took, we could see them at the same time. Sometimes when I'm using my iPod and I'm trying to fast forward or rewind to a specific spot in the DIS Unplugged Podcast I can accidently skip to the very beginning or the very end if I bump the button wrong. If these chapter markers were present it would make searching so much easier. Has anyone else given this any thought?

I hadn't thought about it, but if it means taking MORE time to get the podcast posted...I have to vote no. I haven't utilized the chapter markers on the other podcasts I've listened to (?!?!?!?), and I don't want to overburden Pete any more than he already is.

Although chapter markers and pictures are a cool idea, I voted no because it would definitely be extra work on Pete's part for what I think is very little benefit. It would require Pete to produce a separate iTunes-only version of the show and I think he would have to reduce the content to do that. Beyond that I wonder how many people look at their iPod while it's playing.

I hadn't thought about it, but if it means taking MORE time to get the podcast posted...I have to vote no. I haven't utilized the chapter markers on the other podcasts I've listened to (?!?!?!?), and I don't want to overburden Pete any more than he already is.

I'm only thinking that these markers could be inserted at the same time he is already editting the podcast.

I'm only thinking that these markers could be inserted at the same time he is already editting the podcast.
The chapter markers are a feature of AAC which only plays on iPods and iTunes. I Googled the podcast you mention and they produce two versions the enhanced AAC and an mp3 version. It may be that produce the AAC version and then convert it to mp3 but it would still be more work than Pete is doing now. It is a cool idea but until audio editing work can be spread around I don't see it happening.

I don't believe its a big/time consuming task to insert chapter markers. But that may depend on what software is being used to edit the podcasts.

I tried to add some chapter markers and images to one the the existing podcasts and it only took me a few minutes. I would post it but as you know the files are pretty big. I used the instructions on the following pages:

www "dot" jrlearnsmedia "dot" com/blog/archive/2007/07/29/enhanced-podcasting-on-windows "dot" aspx

www "dot" creationrobot "dot" com/?p=813

The "dot" should be a "."

Sorry for the cyptic code but I don't have enough post under my belt to post actual links.

Seems like it would have been more appropriate to ask the podcast team than to put up a poll.

While it may only be a couple of minutes work to actually add the chapters in some software, it does bring with it several other processes. The additional time it takes to find pictures (if they add them also), uploading two separate large files, maintaining two separate RSS feeds, explaining it to people on the Dis Unplugged page and on the boards. That few minutes turns into an hour + very quickly.

On podcasts where there are a lot of short items it is indispensable, but I think it wouldn't be necessary on DU.

If I am looking for something I listen to the rundown of topics at the beginning and just fast forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter