Chapek: "Maybe by this fall-Limited Operations of Our (Disney) Cruise Ships"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
Probably the most definitive statement on the future of cruising that we've heard yet, from Disney CEO Bob Chapek

2nd questions is RE: @DisneyCruise - Chapek does not have any information to share on the resumption at this time. "Maybe by this fall - limited operations of our cruise ships"

Speculation, yes... but clearly Disney isn't terribly confident about summertime cruises.

More from the DCL Blog:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...e-by-this-fall-for-limited-cruise-operations/
We are anticipating that with some luck and the increase in the number of vaccinations out there and the encouraging that we are seeing that maybe by this fall we might be able to have some limited operations of our cruise ships, but that’s all going to depend on the incidence of the virus and the vaccination of the general public. So, we look forward though when we do open up to using the very same disciplined guidelines we’ve used in our parks to safely reopen and use those same guidelines on the Disney Cruise Line.

I guess it’s interesting but personally the tone of it (after all this time waiting for news and my paid-in-full cruise getting canceled so my $ is still sitting there, like so many others) it just makes me feel honestly like just canceling my January and March (backup) cruises. We really don’t want to go with a much-altered experience (esp. for that price tag) and if nothing is expected until at least fall and then if it will employ the same restrictions as the parks, I just can’t be patient anymore and will shift to a non-cruise trip like national parks. Disney can happen later if the experience is going to be like my last cruise with them, which was amazing.

I know DCL is stuck and of course they can’t really do anything to move things along. Just sad.

It seems more and more likely that our October MX Riviera cruise will be canceled and that our first cruise back will be the 2022 HI-VAN cruise. We had the 2020 version booked. We used the FCC from that cruise on the 9N Southern Caribbean cruise that was eventually cancelled. Then we moved the FCC to the October MX cruise, and the 2022 HI cruise. Now it seems likely that the MX cruise won't happen, due to a number of reasons. So, our cash has been locked up since December of 2019. First world problems, I know.

It seems more and more likely that our {Canada-Bermuda-PCvl-SnJuan B2B} cruise{s}will be canceled and that our first cruise back will be the 2022 HI-VAN cruise. We had the 2020 version booked. We used the FCC from that cruise on the 9N Southern Caribbean cruise that was eventually cancelled. Then we moved the FCC to the October MX cruise, and the 2022 HI cruise. Now it seems likely that the MX cruise won't happen, due to a number of reasons. So, our cash has been locked up since December of 2019. First world problems, I know.

Similar deal, our 2021 Cruises {as per above} will likely be canceled, and yes, we are also booked on HI => Vancouver.
Lots of complicated bookkeeping re. Placeholders and Deposits . . . but I actually feel sad for all the logistics and planning wrto getting the ships ready, hiring & (re)training all those wonderful cast-members, re-establishing relations with the ports and provisioners, etc.. It's going to take a while, some significant $$$'s and if I was DCL, I would want certainty wrto the plan.

On one hand, the world is gradually, but more rapidly, getting vaccinated. It's happening.
On the other hand, I am open and not happy about the possibility that the DCL experiences as we enjoyed/loved it so, so much, will be very, very different.

Hope to see you on May 6th, 2022 in Oahu.

I will seriously have a nervous breakdown if my Hawaii 2022 cruise is not happening AGAIN.. I mean my mom is living so long.

Agree. So why are they still selling them? It angers me that they are taking people's money but don't seem to have any intent to actually do the cruise.

They've been doing that for ages now. (Last summer's Alaska cruises as a first example. And everything after that.)

It solves a cash flow problem.
There may be other reasons, but that is my guess.

. So, our cash has been locked up since December of 2019.
I hear you. Our funds have been tied up since March 2019 for Sept 2020 B2B -canceled, Jan 2021 - canceled, May 2021 - canceled. Two full years to the month. Looking forward to something as soon as Summer 2022 gets released.

I bet internally XXXX hit the fan between head office and DCL. I wonder if DCL operations were thrown under a bus.

A statement like that has consequeces. it would be like my airlines's CEO saying flights MIGHT open in the fall, while we keep booking.. It would be utter chaos and for our sales channels a big trust and operational things. AGENTS must be going nuts right now.

They've been doing that for ages now. (Last summer's Alaska cruises as a first example. And everything after that.)

It solves a cash flow problem.
There may be other reasons, but that is my guess.
I've heard and thought that before, but taking people's money under false pretenses is fraud. I would think they at least have to have some plausible expectation that they will be able to provide the service provided, at the time agreed upon, for a specific price. If they've decided internally that the is the earliest they can operate is the fall, they have to stop taking money immediately from new customers. They can sell gift cards if they want their customers to give them loans.

I bet internally XXXX hit the fan between head office and DCL. I wonder if DCL operations were thrown under a bus.

A statement like that has consequeces. it would be like my airlines's CEO saying flights MIGHT open in the fall, while we keep booking.. It would be utter chaos and for our sales channels a big trust and operational things. AGENTS must be going nuts right now.
I'm just hoping Chapek misspoke.

If DCL is truly not even trying to have a summer 2021 sailing season, they need to announce that. Aside from all the workers who need cruising to resume to generate income, they should let their customers make alternative vacation plans.

I'm just hoping Chapek misspoke.

If DCL is truly not even trying to have a summer 2021 sailing season, they need to announce that. Aside from all the workers who need cruising to resume to generate income, they should let their customers make alternative vacation plans.

I agree, but...

Where is people's common sense?????
(Okay, I know that was a big gigantic rotten thing to say. But I keep watching people say, "Oh, this one is certainly going to go" for over a year now." And look at every teeny bit of positive news as a guarantee. And if you want a refund, you can get a refund, unless you were unlucky enough to book concierge.)

Not sure how can announce anything. Who knows? They don't control the situation, but they have to be prepared to resume if circumstances allow it. I sure don't know what my vacation situation is going to be like this summer. At this point not safe IMHO to make any vacation plans. Doesn't mean months from now that won't change. Today was supposed to be my second day of Spring Training in Phoenix. Sitting in my family room watching the games on TV instead, and darn glad I didn't do. Too many people without masks.

I very much doubt Chapek is tuned in to what's happening in the cruising world at a time when Disney+ and the parks are driving his stock. DCL is just a product offered by the parks division, and Chapek probably gets all of a quarterly footnote about it.

This was a comment at the shareholders meeting so these aren’t throwaway off the cuff statements. There are briefing books, runthroughs, and sample conversation- they knew cruising would be discussed.
I also think Chapeak is very briefed about cruising given the current risks, government involvement, and international component of CoVid cruising. Something that has the potential to land a company all over media is not something a major CEO is going to be ignorant of.

Ha, I guess it would be ironic if the October NYC - SJ cruise I just canceled last week actually sailed. On the plus side, they refunded my deposit very quickly. What I do know is that I won't be booking concierge again anytime soon until they make deposits refundable, since this is the second time I've had to cancel an October cruise. Non-refundable deposits will no longer be a part of any travel plans I make. It's too bad, and we really enjoyed the space of a bigger cabin, but it's not worth the risk.

Ha, I guess it would be ironic if the October NYC - SJ cruise I just canceled last week actually sailed. On the plus side, they refunded my deposit very quickly. What I do know is that I won't be booking concierge again anytime soon until they make deposits refundable, since this is the second time I've had to cancel an October cruise. Non-refundable deposits will no longer be a part of any travel plans I make. It's too bad, and we really enjoyed the space of a bigger cabin, but it's not worth the risk.
I was thinking the same thing as I too canceled my October NYC cruise. I was pleasantly surprised that I got my refund back quickly, even tho it was separate deposits it all came in one day. Although right after I did cancel they announced the extension of the FCC date. That's my irony.

I agree, but...

Where is people's common sense?????
(Okay, I know that was a big gigantic rotten thing to say. But I keep watching people say, "Oh, this one is certainly going to go" for over a year now." And look at every teeny bit of positive news as a guarantee. And if you want a refund, you can get a refund, unless you were unlucky enough to book concierge.)
Whose common sense are you talking about? DCL or mine? (not offended if you men me)

Common sense would say that if you’re not going to operate this summer, you’d cancel your summer sailings as soon as you made that decision.

My common sense says that Covid infections in the US should be infinitesimal* by mid-June and that cruises should resume at that point.

*As of today, we’ve vaccinating 2 million people a day. 30 million are already fully vaccinated, with another 60 million having had their first shot and 30 million more shots distributed but not yet injected. We’re on track to have a total 600 million doses by the end of May, with only 500 million needed for the 250 million people in the country over the age of 16.

If DCL is not planning on this timeline, what is their timeline? What do they know that the president or nearly every economic forecaster doesn’t?
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations561622

Last edited:
Whose common sense are you talking about? DCL or mine? (not offended if you men me)

Common sense would say that if you’re not going to operate this summer, you’d cancel your summer sailings as soon as you made that decision.

My common sense says that Covid infections in the US should be infinitesimal* by mid-June and that cruises should resume at that point.

I think infinitesimal is a big stretch. You can't ignore that about 40% of the population have said that they won't get it and then we've got everyone UNDER the age of 16 that can't even get it, even if they want to. The next group will be 12-16 which will hopefully be this summer, but that still leaves all the under 12 group to get approved, maybe by fall...maybe? Then there's the issue of the new variants that are starting to rampage and we don't actually know that the vaccines are as effective on them. So in my mind, we are still very much going to be dealing with lower, but still steady infection rates at least through the summer and maybe even slightly into the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter