Changing MYW Package to AP Discount

MICKEEP

DIS Veteran
If you booked a MYW package with dining and Park tickets. How easy would it be or what problems would you encounter, if you changed to an AP discount with a DDE card, when the AP rates finally come out.

Also, would there be a problem transfering the same room type if the resort was sold out? I would think not because you already have a room reserved that you are just transfering to a different type of reservation, but I could be wrong.

I think you'd be subject to whatever cancellation penalties your package has. I wonder if Disney may start delaying some of the discounts until the cancellation penalty of the packages starts to kick in.

Discounted rates, including AP, are only offered on specific dates, resorts and room type. The purpose of the discount is to help fill rooms that would otherwise be empty. There is no purpose in Disney making discounted rooms available if the the resort already has high bookings. I'd go so far as to say it may be impossible to program in discounts if the resort has no rooms available.

Booking a reservation you'll only keep if you can get a discounted rate is a complete waste. Your reservation actually reduces the chance Disney will be offering a discount for your resort for those dates. If the resort is empty you'll have no trouble booking a discounted AP rate but if it's almost sold out it's very unlikely there will be any discounted rooms to transfer your reservation to.

Sorry, I guess I may not have been clear in my question. what i should have asked was:

If you have already booked a MYW package. How easy would it be or what problems would you encounter, if you changed to an AP discount, IF AP rates come out.

MICKEEP said:
Sorry, I guess I may not have been clear in my question. what i should have asked was:

If you have already booked a MYW package. How easy would it be or what problems would you encounter, if you changed to an AP discount, IF AP rates come out.

I thought I answered that, ;) you'd be subject to the cancellation terms of your package. If you make a change within 45 days you'll have a charge, probably $100. Your trip insurance, if purchased, won't be refunded. It'll be easy UNLESS you're trying to get the $100 waived or reduced to $50.

If you booked through a TA you might have some other fees.

Your second question I know I answered. If the resort is sold out Disney won't be offering any AP rates for that resort for those days. If I call and there aren't any AP rate rooms available and you call you won't be able to get an AP rate on your existing room reservation since there aren't any AP discounted rooms available.

Hi. Lewisc is correct. If you try to change your package it would greatly depend on when you do that; before or after the 45 day mark. Now assuming you are before the 45 day mark and ap rates are released for your time period, you could call and try to get the resort and room type you would like. Then you could purchase your AP and the DDE card with discount. If you don't already have your park passes purchaseing them at one of the wholesalers is fine or just add them to your ressie.

I agree with Lewisc that making a reservation while waiting on codes or specials just lessens the possibility of one being released. Everyone is calling the first few days it is released anyway trying to grab up the discounted rooms. It is better to wait.

For example: We have rented DVC points for a portion of our Dec 05 trip. The remaining 3 nights I haven't booked yet because I refuse to pay rack rate. I will book them when ap rates come out or I will take my chances and just get a AAA rate. I have several resorts we would like to try so we are flexible within our price range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter