Changing fully paid room only?

Adora

DIS Veteran
Curious. If I have a rack rate room only room booked for next year and decided to pay it off now. If a discount was to come out am I able to get a refund or for them to keep the amount for the discounted room change and to refund the rest? Thanks

I have booked room only and then received a discount. In my case I didn’t ask for a refund. I just used the credit while at the resort. I had no trouble at all using it! LOL

I have booked room only and then received a discount. In my case I didn’t ask for a refund. I just used the credit while at the resort. I had no trouble at all using it! LOL

I assumed they wouldn't leave it as a credit since I previously asked about putting cash on my account to help with the holds. (I wouldn't have trouble spending it either!)

Hopefully other people chime in so I can know if this wasn't a one time fluke :)

I've been in this position a few times over the years. I thought I had always received a refund for the difference, but the most recent time (within the past year), they left it as a credit on my account. So I don't know if I misremember the previous times, if there has been a process change, or if this is one of those things where different people may have different experiences.

The last time we did this, we ended up with room credit that we didn’t use. That credit was then refunded to our original form of payment a few days after our trip, so, any way you slice it, you will get that money back.

Our lats trip in March/April they left it as a credit on the room.,

Thanks to everyone! With the dollar the way it is I'm trying to decide if I should just pay off what I can so that this expensive trip doesn't get crazy expensive.

Are you international?

The room only payment isn't due until time of check in. If your trip isn't until next year, I would say there is a good chance a discount will come along. I wouldn't pay it off now. Maybe put the money for the room into a savings account and let it collect some interest for a while, or if currency rates are a factor, put it on a Disney gift card and hold onto the card for now. I personally would not call in a payment this early, but that's just me.

July they left it as a credit on the room. No issues using it - and they refunded the 95 cents left to my card on file.

I am not international, but I prefer to have as much of my trip paid off in advance so I do not have to do a ton of math on vacation. I can pay a little each month and spread it out.

Now I'm wondering: When we get there we will be checking in at the hotel because my friend has to link her cc to her magicband. I'm wondering if the credit could be left for me and my magicband??

Do you already havre MB's from a previous trip? If not, you will need to check in at the resort in order to get your MB's as well. WDW does not ship MB's to Canada.

I would ask when you arrive if they can set up the credit to only work from your MB. IDK if they can, but I suspect that it is possible as they are able to select different CC to work with different people's MBs. If they are not able to do so, I would ask for them to put the credit on a gift card for you to use or to refund the difference upon arrival.

( I noticed that you are from NL - so am I!)

I would ask when you arrive if they can set up the credit to only work from your MB. IDK if they can, but I suspect that it is possible as they are able to select different CC to work with different people's MBs. If they are not able to do so, I would ask for them to put the credit on a gift card for you to use or to refund the difference upon arrival.

( I noticed that you are from NL - so am I!)

What part of NL?

Maybe I will do as suggested and get some gift cards and use that instead. The way the dollar is going I would feel better just having some money bought, because God knows it could go any way.

How interesting - I never knew they would leave a room credit like that. That should be interesting with the $100 hold, I wonder how that would work if you have a room credit from changing to a discounted rate. Interesting!

How interesting - I never knew they would leave a room credit like that. That should be interesting with the $100 hold, I wonder how that would work if you have a room credit from changing to a discounted rate. Interesting!
My opinion only-I wouldn't expect it to make any difference with the current hold situation. If it turns the credit is "helpful" with the holds, great. But Disney doesn't always do what would seem to make sense to us.

My personal experience is that I nearly always get a credit back on my card when canceling and refunding.
I only got a credit on account when my trip was very close, like 2 weeks out.

My personal experience is that I nearly always get a credit back on my card when canceling and refunding.

I expect that the difference is that the room wasn't cancelled in our case, but the rate was adjusted so that there was more than the new total already paid.
Or, it may work differently for international guests?

In any event, it has happened to us more than once. I don't know why. It didn't matter to me, so I never asked.

What part of NL?

Maybe I will do as suggested and get some gift cards and use that instead. The way the dollar is going I would feel better just having some money bought, because God knows it could go any way.

We are in CBS. You?

Yes, the exchange rate is terrible and unpredictable. With the high cost of a Disney stay, a lot of money can hang in the balance.

Curious, are you talking about Disney gift cards? If so, where do you plan to get these gift cards? I would like to purchase some as well, but had no idea that they could be purchased in NL.

Curious, are you talking about Disney gift cards? If so, where do you plan to get these gift cards? I would like to purchase some as well, but had no idea that they could be purchased in NL.

West coast, Corner Brook

If I buy them I will probably just buy from the disney site. I want to make sure I'm buying ones that are in US or else I'm just buying CDN to convert later and that defeats the point completely.

West coast, Corner Brook

If I buy them I will probably just buy from the disney site. I want to make sure I'm buying ones that are in US or else I'm just buying CDN to convert later and that defeats the point completely.

So we are nearly as far apart as possible on this island! LOL! Do you visit WDW often? Are flights any easier from Corner Brook than from St John's? Ours are either all really early in the am departures (arrive at Orlando at a reasonable time) or leave ST John's at a reasonable time of day and arrive in Orlando around midnight. Ugh! I would love a middle of the day option all round, like most people in the rest of the world.

Gift cards: The Disney site - do you mean shopDisney or MDE? I have found a lot of customs applied to shopDisney upon arrival. But. perhaps that won't apply to gift cards. Good thought!

If it were me, I wouldn't let Disney have my money on a room-only reservation that far in advance. I'd put down the deposit, and wait to see if you can get a discount. I've always had Disney refund my credit card, never a credit balance attached to my room.

My opinion only-I wouldn't expect it to make any difference with the current hold situation. If it turns the credit is "helpful" with the holds, great. But Disney doesn't always do what would seem to make sense to us.

That has been my experience, as well. Interesting to see that others have experienced something different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter