• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Changing from second to first seating?

We have the same issue, but for us, I think it may actually work in our favour.

Our daughter will LOVE the shows. That will be 100 times more interesting to her than a sit-down dinner.

So, it's most important for us that she is "awake" to see the shows. We'll get her "dinner" from the options around the pool (pizza and chips is okay on holiday) or Cabanas buffet either before or after the show. All going well, she might have a little something at our actual dinner (probably just dessert) and then - fingers crossed - go to sleep in the pram.

Of course best laid plans ... often go awry!

EDIT: since posting, I've learned that Cabanas is NOT open for dinner.
All of this! We've done both early and late seating between the ages of 1 and 10 and all have pros and cons!

In fact, for a while we preferred the second seating (usually the 2nd seating is less busy, less loud, and there is no rush, so oldest child would head to kids club on their own while we could finish in peace, or be picked up to be brought there (that was great, not sure if that's back!), and my youngest would sometimes fall asleep on my lap. The dinner service is very, very long for most kids. They would consistently be hungry around 4 pm and eat around the pool no matter which seating we had, btw there is not only pizza but also salads, lots of fruit choices and wraps, and more! The shows were always a huge hit with our kids, including at a young age, but they would fall asleep if we had the early dinner seating.

And yes, Cabanas used to be open for dinner for a faster a la carte service between the two dining times and we actually LOVED it (on longer cruises). I think it has not returned since the pandemic (we were told it was stopped due to understaffing), but I'm hoping it will, especially on longer cruises.

I think my only concern would be about whether there is enough room in the theater to seat the both folks who are assigned to that show and people who elect to not go to their assigned show.

Well since there are probably plenty of people like me who never made it to a single show, I wouldn't worry about that too much

Can someone tell me if this reservation has officially been moved? I thought it used to say second seating but now it says main, however there is a link to cancel the request

Dining

You'll be seated for dinner at one of our 3 fine restaurants each night of your cruise. You've been assigned the following seating time: Main Seating – 5:45 PM Learn More

Seating
Main Seating – 5:45 PM
Your request for Main Seating – 5:45 PM was received.
Cancel Waitlist Request 

Can someone tell me if this reservation has officially been moved? I thought it used to say second seating but now it says main, however there is a link to cancel the request

Dining

You'll be seated for dinner at one of our 3 fine restaurants each night of your cruise. You've been assigned the following seating time: Main Seating – 5:45 PM Learn More

Seating
Main Seating – 5:45 PM
Your request for Main Seating – 5:45 PM was received.
Cancel Waitlist Request 
Unlike most other cruise lines, DCL calls their earlier dinner service the "main" seating.

And yes, Cabanas used to be open for dinner for a faster a la carte service between the two dining times and we actually LOVED it (on longer cruises). I think it has not returned since the pandemic (we were told it was stopped due to understaffing), but I'm hoping it will, especially on longer cruises.

pretty poor that this was never brought back

Today our ressie was switched to main/early like we had originally requested! Yay!

(Now to get a table for 2...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter