Changing dates on park tickets best strategy?

Sherrkel

Disney World Dreamer . . . My Home Away From Home
Hello, my in-laws purchased 6 day PH for a trip this month. It looks like they'll be postponing. Is it better to change the dates now on the tickets to a later date that they believe they'll be traveling, versus letting them "expire"?

I think they would probably want to change them to 6 days around when the daily value is same - for now - so that they don't incur additional fees until future travel plans are solidified.

I read if they don't then it's harder to use the value for a future trip, and even then they may have to wait until that time when physically at the parks to try to arrange this [ and ensure they have copies of original purchase and payment records].

Of course if they could just cancel/refund that would be preferred [ just in case future travel doesn't pan out] but not sure of exceptions being made @ this time.

Thank you!

Edit to add: I hope this isn't against the rules to ask for advice, it seems like it's a readily available option to change dates online :)

Last edited:
Of course if they could just cancel/refund that would be preferred [ just in case future travel doesn't pan out] but not sure of exceptions being made @ this time.
If they booked a package reservation (resort+tickets), then it can be cancelled. Though if they are within 30 days of arrival, there is a penalty so it may be best to push it out.

If they bought tickets separately from a resort reservation, those are usually non-refundable. If they know the new dates, it may be easiest to push out the tickets now. They can try doing so themselves online via MDE, sometimes it works for changes sometimes it doesn't. If not they would need to call to make the change. And yes they'll be charged any difference in price if applicable (no refund for lower priced). If they don't do it now, they'll want to keep a record of the ticket number(s) and values, because the tickets are likely to disappear from view in MDE. WDW will be able to "see" the credit and they can call to upgrade to new ticket dates once their plans are set. They do NOT need to wait until arrival.

If they booked a package reservation (resort+tickets), then it can be cancelled. Though if they are within 30 days of arrival, there is a penalty so it may be best to push it out.

If they bought tickets separately from a resort reservation, those are usually non-refundable. If they know the new dates, it may be easiest to push out the tickets now. They can try doing so themselves online via MDE, sometimes it works for changes sometimes it doesn't. If not they would need to call to make the change. And yes they'll be charged any difference in price if applicable (no refund for lower priced). If they don't do it now, they'll want to keep a record of the ticket number(s) and values, because the tickets are likely to disappear from view in MDE. WDW will be able to "see" the credit and they can call to upgrade to new ticket dates once their plans are set. They do NOT need to wait until arrival.

Thank you @lanejudy!
I forgot to mention, they purchased their tickets thru AAA, who told them they need to abide by Disney's rules. Does this change anything?

Thank you @lanejudy!
I forgot to mention, they purchased their tickets thru AAA, who told them they need to abide by Disney's rules. Does this change anything?
Nope, AAA sells regular WDW tickets. It's not refundable but they do retain value towards new tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter