Changing bigger kid diapers in public

jennilouwho

DIS Veteran
Hi there!

My niece is 3 1/2 and has several special needs. She's blind, deaf, and has a mitochondrial disorder, no one is real sure what her diagnosis is, but she has hundreds of seizures a day. She can't sit up or stand or anything like that. I guess what I'm getting at is that she'll never be potty trained. She's in a wheelchair or my brother or SIL carry her. My sister in law was asking around for ideas on what she will do to change her diapers in public in a year or two. She won't fit on the changing table much longer. Does anyone else have this issue and what do you do about it? Any advice would be appreciated, I know. :)

Thanks,

Jen

It may not be the best idea, but I think if I was in that situation I would either change her in the stroller or bring special changing pads that she totally fits on and place it on the floor of the bathroom. I would also make sure that it had a plastic backing or I would bring something like a shower curtain that I could lay on the floor to keep her as clean as possible. I would then carefully fold the thing up and place it in its own plastic bag, to keep it away from everything else in the diaper bag. This is just a suggestion. I know there are others out there who know from experience who will soon answer.

Thanks! Maybe a dollar store table cloth or something? I don't think she can be changed in her stroller/wheelchair because it doesn't lay back and she can't support herself at all, but I like your idea about a big cloth. They usually don't go anywhere for too long, but sometimes she has blow outs and those need to be changed asap! ;)

Thanks! Maybe a dollar store table cloth or something? I don't think she can be changed in her stroller/wheelchair because it doesn't lay back and she can't support herself at all, but I like your idea about a big cloth. They usually don't go anywhere for too long, but sometimes she has blow outs and those need to be changed asap! ;)

I used to have a similar prob, but my DS can stand so I could often change him while he was standing. I have been known to find very out of the way places to change him such as at Epcot...I have taken him around to the area where the ladies room to the right of Imaginations is. It goes all the way around and is very quiet and usually not very populated. You could possibly change her in the shade over there blocking any view of her w/the stroller. Just a thought. It has worked for me in the past. I have also used similar spots for meltdowns, etc. In the MK...the RR and surrounding area to the right of Space Mountain isn't usually as crowded at some of the other ones. I don't know if this is any help at all, but I sure hope you come up w/a solution that works for you. :goodvibes

Afterthought: I would definitely notify a cm of my dilema when entering each of the parks and ask for assistance/advice on the best options.

My DS10 will always need changed. He is total care meaning that he can't sit, stand, walk, etc. We have to have a van because he has a wheelchair with all the bells and whistles so we can't have a collapsible one. I change him in the back of the van. I have a washable bed pad and pillow so he is as comfortable as he can be. I am still working out the kinks of a "curtain" I haven't found magnets that I like and will hold during windy days. Then if people are walking by I tend to say things like "no one is paying attention", "they don't care what we are doing" and then those really busy bodies I tend to say "I know they aren't looking because they wouldn't want someone looking at them while they are being taken care of."

I also stopped carrying a diaper bag when he turned 3. I have a plastic tub in the van that I stock with diapers, wipes, change of clothes, and those tidy blue plastic bags to be discreet when we throw them in the trash. Hope this helps. :)

Bearshouse

For the WDW parks, each park has Companion Restrooms which are single stall restrooms with a locking door. There is more information about them in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Some of those have changing tables that are large enough for an older child to be lifted on - although the lift can be high since they are counter height. Many places like malls have Family restrooms that you can use.
At WDW, you can also go to First Aid for diaper changing for an older child. They have individual rooms or cubicles with cots that you can use for changing.

I think the changing in the van could work for many people, as long as you can obscure the view. I would not change a child in a public place, if anyone complains, you could get arrested for indecent exposure. If laying the child down in a restroom, some handicapped stalls will be big enough to do that.

Thanks everyone! I will pass these on. They aren't going to WDW, they just need idea for if they are at a store or something and she has a blow out. I will pass these tips on.

Also you might could use the first aid stations in each park since it is medically related.

For my two boys (who were toilet trained very late) I used a large beach towel to lay on the floor and I carried that in a plastic bag inside the diaper bag or a back pack style purse so it wasn't too obvious. Since DS10 wasn't toilet trained until he was 8 :-)eek:) I used that trick a lot!

I would always try for a handicapped stall or a companion restroom when available. A lot of malls have what they call Family restroom now, and they have a full locking door. :)

My brother is 37 but looks like he is 10 or 11 he can't walk talk or do anything for himself when we have to change him when in florida if we Cant get a wheelchair restroom we change him in the car have a plastic sheet for that but if we can change him in a wheelchair restroom that on its own or lucky to find a family restroom we lay him on the floor we use changing pads or the wee wee pads you get for puppies that are disposable

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter