Changing ADRs

leebee

DIS Veteran
If plans change on the day of an ADR, is it possible to go online, change the ADR to a different day, and then cancel it, to avoid paying the no-show fee? I know you used to be able to do this, but so many things at Disney have changed.

No, you now must cancel at least one day prior to reservation, to avoid a cancellation fee. We have been able to change the time of our reservation by calling, but it was the same restaurant, same day, just a little later with no problem.

No, you now must cancel at least one day prior to reservation, to avoid a cancellation fee. We have been able to change the time of our reservation by calling, but it was the same restaurant, same day, just a little later with no problem.

Yeah, I think they caught onto that little trick (the one the OP asked about aka - bump and run) people would use and put the kibosh on it. I've never found the numbers to the restaurants to call though.

I definitely would not do it on your own. We wanted to change our plans to a different restaurant and it was the day of our reservations. We went to "Guest Services" early that day and asked about changing our reservation to a different restaurant for that day. Guest Services took care of it for us. I asked about the "no-show fee". He told me not to worry about it that it was all taken care of and that there would not charges made to us.
I don't know if they are in the habit of doing that for guests, but they did do it for us one time. That was the one and only time we had ever tried it.

I definitely would not do it on your own. We wanted to change our plans to a different restaurant and it was the day of our reservations. We went to "Guest Services" early that day and asked about changing our reservation to a different restaurant for that day. Guest Services took care of it for us. I asked about the "no-show fee". He told me not to worry about it that it was all taken care of and that there would not charges made to us.
I don't know if they are in the habit of doing that for guests, but they did do it for us one time. That was the one and only time we had ever tried it.
I think this is something they would do any time. The charge for the no show is more to discourage booking tons of ADRs with no real intention of using them. Changing to a different restaurant is much different than blowing off the whole thing. The online system probably can't handle a change like that, it is just set up to do a booking or a cancellation. Even at 180 days you have to cancel an ADR if you want to make changes.

The last time I did the "bump and run" as a PP called it was the beginning of January 2019. Had an evening ADR to CG and decided to cancel that morning. Changed the reservation to the next evening and immediately canceled thereafter with no fee. No idea if things have changed since then.

Last edited:
Unless things have changed since June, then yes you can still do this. I've done it a few times over the years, works like a charm.

I'll add that I've done it up until 20-30 minutes before the ADR time.

Last edited:
I wound up changing a Plaza lunch ADR (the day of) twice before we actually made it there. It's possible, but I prefer to try and finalize things the night before.

Just tested it right now, still works. We'll see if I get charged, but I highly, highly doubt I will.

I'll just make my ADR through OpenTable (it's for Raglan Road). ADR is for dinner on our first full day in FL. I have no idea of how tired we'll be from a long day of travel (leave home at 10am, arrive MCO 10:15pm and then get the rental car and get to the hotel), so we might possibly do nothing, possibly visit a friend in Cocoa Beach, possibly go to KSC. I was thinking I'd cancel the reservation if necessary, depending on what we do. I wanted to make it through Disney so everything would me in my MDE account, but OpenTable is fine. They'll let me cancel up until 3pm, day-of; I'll know what we are up to by then!

Yes you can still do this. I just got back from a trip today and had to do this 3 times for various reasons. I don't usually do it but if absolutely necessary I will.

Has anyone actually ever been charged the fee for not canceling or is it just a scare tactic?

As others have said, this still works. I just did it on Friday. No charge.

Steve

I sure was - called JUST shy of 24 hours in advance and they wouldn't work with me - even though I was scheduling another Disney restaurant instead. :(

Has anyone actually ever been charged the fee for not canceling or is it just a scare tactic?
They will charge you if don’t cancel. Also double check you credit card bill. I’ve been accidentally charged a no show fee on two different occasions at Via Napoli when we had eaten there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter