Changes to ILL & Genie+ starting 2/25

UO can be multi-day as well, but the crowds just aren’t the same as what wdw is showing. So you don’t have to purchase their express pass in order to have a good time. Jmho.

You and I have had very different experiences at Universal. I'd much rather be having a Dufftoberfest or two at Moe's with the time I saved not doing standby. Also there's no express pass for the voodoo doughnut so I need to save time to stand in that line. :drinking1

Does anyone know if slinky and run away railway sold out fast this morning or if one is still available now

I am just wondering will you still be able to get both those rides on genie plus on the same day or will it be one or the other as they will sell out fast

Right now the Tip Board has an available return time of 4:25 for MMRR and SDD currently showing not available.

I’m not sure this is a positive change for us. We bought a frozen ILL$ when we were at Epcot which is cheaper than buying genie+. There wasn’t anything on genie+ we were interested in so now we would have to pay more just to ride frozen

we’re in the same boat. Only interested in Frozen for my daughter. So now it’s practically double the price 🙄

That's $110 at Universal right now (and still doesn't include Hagrid's actually - so not every attraction), why would Disney charge only $50 for more parks and more attractions?
But it's included if you are staying at one of their 'deluxe' resorts.

How about Disney goes back to standby only and everyone who bought an expensive park ticket has the same chance of riding something as someone else.

2/25-8/7 Space Mountain, Mickey’s Railway, & Frozen will no longer be ILL & will be included in Genie+. Nothing for AK yet.
I'm guessing this is an attempt to increase Genie+ opportunities for a product that continues to have capacity problems.

If folks are unable to get E-ticket rides after paying for Genie, Disney is likely offering too many refunds.

Disney might rather 'lose' the ILL$ revenue than what they are spending to 'fix' the problem of not having enough E-ticket rides.

Could also be a pretext for increasing prices for the remaining (& forthcoming) ILL$.

The opening of Guardians (& Tron) are likely playing into the current calculus......August 7th seems to be an odd date to conclude the Genie change......

Also, this gets some folks who might otherwise be purchasing 'just' the ILL$ into purchasing Genie.

Sadly, and assuming Disney is finally able to operate at full-capacity, there are simply too many people inside the Parks.

In economic vernacular - demand by customers exceeds the ability of Disney to supply a magical Park experience.

A few more Genie slots is not going to solve that problem.

Well- I sorta like it. That's less we have to pay for on top of Genie+. With the availability in Genie+ being so limited/low, I'm hoping that this is meant as a potential "fix" for that. I'd assume that with more available to Genie+, it might alleviate some of the pressure on other rides and open up some availability on other attractions.

I’m actually thrilled because I sucked it up and already had added G+ in advance to our tickets in June. We can only go every couple of years, so if I’m already paying a ton, I’m just buying the tickets that work for us… will eat an ADR or two less and more QS or snacks. We also do hoppers and like to move all around the property and do whatever plus it’s hot in June and I get cranky! Lol.
I was Not planning on buying ILL and instead rope dropping those rides so the MMRR and FEA is great news to me.
Space is no biggie because there is never an issue really getting on it anyway especially if your there early, extended or just atdifferent times in general

How about Disney goes back to standby only and everyone who bought an expensive park ticket has the same chance of riding something as someone else.

Puts them behind every other theme park that's offering me a better experience with a shorter wait option - and at the same time loses them all the money the are making with Genie+ now (and the money people spend on snacks and merch while they aren't trapped waiting in lines) so they'll have to make the park tickets even more expensive to make up for that - how much would you like to pay?

We can only go every couple of years, so if I’m already paying a ton, I’m just buying the tickets that work for us
That's how I feel. If you buy it with your tickets, it's just a slightly higher cost per ticket per person.

In many threads, lots of posters have been begging for more capacity in the G+ system. Now that it's actually happening, some of you are still finding ways to complain. :crazy2:

I think this is great news because it adds to the G+ pool. The pickings won't run out so fast, and headliners will be available for a longer time.

Last edited:
Any thoughts as to why Disney doesn't allow you to select your time for all of the genie+ rides? I didn't enjoy having to pay extra for $ILL, but did like that I could at least pick my time and have somewhat of a schedule. And yes I know this would basically be returning to a paid fastpass system, but not be able to pick ride times that work with other plans is another big frustration with genie+. I've said before, I'm fine with paying more to add value, but this idea of paying more and fighting with my phone all day and trying to work genie+ around other plans/breaks feels insane. What is the benefit to the system giving the next available time for Disney?

Hey Disney... I'm willing to spend more money shopping/snacking/having a drink when I have some schedule to my day and I'm not head down in the phone or running back and forth across the park.

Does anyone know if slinky and run away railway sold out fast this morning or if one is still available now

I am just wondering will you still be able to get both those rides on genie plus on the same day or will it be one or the other as they will sell out fast
I just checked the HS tip board not (12:40pm) and all the big rides are sold out for LL already and only AS2 and Star Tours (and shows) left as LL options. That's pretty crazy!

They should have been included all along. I wouldn’t mind Genie+ as much if they didn’t get extra greedy with the stupid ILLs. All the rides should be included for one price.
Absolutely this. G+ would not have been roasted anywhere near as badly if they hadn't gone for the extra cash grab with ILL$, even if it was priced at $20 a person instead of $15.

In many threads, lots of posters have been begging for more capacity in the G+ system. Now that it's actually happening, some of you are still finding ways to complain. :crazy2:

I think this is great news because it adds to the G+ pool. The pickings won't run out so fast, and headliners will be available for a longer time.

That's what I keep sayin'. Disney can't win no matter what they do.

Disney: Here is this new Genie system. We think you will like it. We also have the ILL system
Social Media: OMG! It's a money grab! We have to pay for this and that. Genie+ sucks. There is not enough inventory
Disney: We hear you. We are moving inventory from ILL to Genie+. This means you have more things you get for your Genie+ money and hopefully will relieve some of the issues of lack of choices with more rides. Oh, and you'll save money too!
Social Media: What a terrible idea. I wanted to pay extra for ILL for those rides.
Disney: Wait, what?

Y'all realize this is why Disney just gives up and stops listening to social media complaints, right?

This affects our trip and I hate it. They just make it harder and harder to plan each day.
I went during the Christmas period when this was the rule last year and I found it was an improvement. It helped availability. Of course, I stayed off site, I guess I might have felt differently if onsite.

We added G+ to our package for December last week simply because we could see a potential price hike. Honestly, it’s nice knowing I won’t need to purchase it each day. It’s weird though because when we modified our tickets within our package, it didn’t increase the ticket price like others have said. I was only charged for G+ plus tax. I didn’t question it and just modified before the system changed its mind.
FYI read an article on another site that not all ticket dates had their prices increased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter