Changes to Disability Access Service - DAS Advance Video Chat + book 2 rides per day in advance & book return times in MDE - all available NOW!

I think that might be one of the conditions.

Edited to remove specifics after seeing a warning on a different thread of how specific information could lead to dishonest people using the verbiage by seeing it on forums such as these.

Thank you. I will go back and edit my post to remove the condition mentioned. Never entered my head that some unscrupulous souls would use it. I did the live message chat in MDE and the lady I was talking to said to do the video chat when it is started in the fall. She also said that only those cast members will have a note of the criteria required. She also sent the same links to WDW disability advice pages

I know asking for a DAS pass can be stressful, but each person‘s need is different. The purpose of speaking to a CM is to see if you qualify in the parameters of what Disney issues them for. Talking about your specific condition, and what may/ may not qualify as a reason on the Disboards is not a good idea IMO.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for starting this thread! Since hearing about the new Genie + system, I have been having so much anxiety. We are adoptive parents with 3 children who have Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. They need a high level of structure and predictability going into a situation. In the past, because I could book fastpasses in advance, we would plan out our entire day and print it out on cards for them to be constantly reading in the parks to know what comes next. It also meant we did not wait in long lines because I had it planned that way.

With Genie+ not allowing for any sort of advanced planning, I was honestly losing sleep over what to do to make this trip do-able for our kids. Hearing about this new DAS system makes me think I should contact Disney and have a video chat to see if we would qualify. It would make the world of difference for our family just even being able to have those 2 rides per day planned in advance.

Can anyone tell me - we will be travelling with extended family for our next trip. (Grandparents, cousins, aunts / uncles). If we do get DAS, will they be allowed to experience attractions with us if we are connected on MDE or is there a limit to the number that can ride with our kids?

Thank you so much for starting this thread! Since hearing about the new Genie + system, I have been having so much anxiety. We are adoptive parents with 3 children who have Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. They need a high level of structure and predictability going into a situation. In the past, because I could book fastpasses in advance, we would plan out our entire day and print it out on cards for them to be constantly reading in the parks to know what comes next. It also meant we did not wait in long lines because I had it planned that way.

With Genie+ not allowing for any sort of advanced planning, I was honestly losing sleep over what to do to make this trip do-able for our kids. Hearing about this new DAS system makes me think I should contact Disney and have a video chat to see if we would qualify. It would make the world of difference for our family just even being able to have those 2 rides per day planned in advance.

Can anyone tell me - we will be traveling with extended family for our next trip. (Grandparents, cousins, aunts / uncles). If we do get DAS, will they be allowed to experience attractions with us if we are connected on MDE or is there a limit to the number that can ride with our kids?

I would absolutely try for a DAS pass, it definitely does not hurt to ask, you want to be able to explain to the CM why your children cannot wait in the traditional line.

Generally speaking you can have 6 people in a DAS party. You can talk to Guest Services if you have more than 6 and they may be able to accommodate you. I'm not sure if having 3 people in your party needing DAS would allow you to automatically have a larger party.

Also - with DAS, you may be able to get a return time for a 3rd ride when you get there. So if you have 2 rides already planned, first thing you do (only has to be 1 person, children do not have to go with you) - get a return time for a 3rd ride. The return time is not like Fastpass where you only have 15 minutes to use it, you can keep that return time for the entire day and go back whenever it is convenient. So you would be able to hold 3 rides for the day, similar to how FP+ worked for you.

Can anyone tell me - we will be travelling with extended family for our next trip. (Grandparents, cousins, aunts / uncles). If we do get DAS, will they be allowed to experience attractions with us if we are connected on MDE or is there a limit to the number that can ride with our kids?
Check out the DisABILITIES Board - it’s an entire board for asking these kinds of questions

I will go back and edit my post to remove the condition mentioned. Never entered my head that some unscrupulous souls would use it
DAS is need-based, not diagnosis-based. There is no list of conditions that qualify. Be prepared to explain to the CM why waiting in a standard queue environment is a challenge. Identifying the diagnosis is not necessary. Two people with the same diagnosis may not be impacted in the same manner therefore having different needs.

I would absolutely try for a DAS pass, it definitely does not hurt to ask, you want to be able to explain to the CM why your children cannot wait in the traditional line.

Generally speaking you can have 6 people in a DAS party. You can talk to Guest Services if you have more than 6 and they may be able to accommodate you. I'm not sure if having 3 people in your party needing DAS would allow you to automatically have a larger party.

Also - with DAS, you may be able to get a return time for a 3rd ride when you get there. So if you have 2 rides already planned, first thing you do (only has to be 1 person, children do not have to go with you) - get a return time for a 3rd ride. The return time is not like Fastpass where you only have 15 minutes to use it, you can keep that return time for the entire day and go back whenever it is convenient. So you would be able to hold 3 rides for the day, similar to how FP+ worked for you.
Thank you - this was very helpful!

DAS is need-based, not diagnosis-based. There is no list of conditions that qualify. Be prepared to explain to the CM why waiting in a standard queue environment is a challenge. Identifying the diagnosis is not necessary. Two people with the same diagnosis may not be impacted in the same manner therefore having different needs.
Thank you. I’m hoping not to need it but I will chat to them to see if it would be helpful to avoid standing in the Florida sun for those ride queues that are mostly outside.

Thank you - this was very helpful!

I actually forgot, with this updated system return times can be booked using the My Disney Experience app now, so no need to go to the ride to get a return time. I'm unsure if they will allow you to get a return time right away if you're already holding 2 of the pre-planned selections though, so that is something to watch for. Worst case scenario though - once you scan in for the 2nd ride, you should be able to book a return time for the 3rd ride! :)

I actually forgot, with this updated system return times can be booked using the My Disney Experience app now, so no need to go to the ride to get a return time. I'm unsure if they will allow you to get a return time right away if you're already holding 2 of the pre-planned selections though, so that is something to watch for. Worst case scenario though - once you scan in for the 2nd ride, you should be able to book a return time for the 3rd ride! :)

That is what I am wondering. If one has to use up the two advance, then it certainly will change how some will view it from an abuse stand point.

For anyone else who has been on the fence and putting off getting the DAS because of an invisible disability, I just wanted to share that the GS Cast Member I dealt with today was wonderful. He made the process very easy and was completely non-judgmental. I had been putting it off, but feeling badly that my family chose to skip rides whenever lines were long (rather than ride without me). After sucking it up and enduring a long ride line today so my family could experience MMRR, I decided it was time to admit I needed the DAS. We stopped at GS on the way out of the park and I can not express fully what a relief it is to know we can now enjoy pleasant, relaxed visits to the parks this Fall... and not have to stress over skipping attractions entirely.

You don't need a diagnosis. They could simply require proof from your doctor, diagnosis or not, that you are disabled or need DAS. Since they are going to be on a video call with you anyway, they could take 2 minutes to get your doctors number and call them right there while on the video call with you. Your doctors office could easily confirm that you needed the DAS. This, of course, would be an ideal situation imo. No ones HIPPA is violated, no one has to have physical proof, and its so easily done with a simple phone call AND it wouldnt take any additional work/time from CM's because they are already going to be in a video call with you.
I don't know what doctor you go to, but some days, I talk to 3 people in 2 other offices and get transferred to a phone center before I receive a phone call back from the doctors' office :rotfl2:

I don't know what doctor you go to, but some days, I talk to 3 people in 2 other offices and get transferred to a phone center before I receive a phone call back from the doctors' office

I have a local doctor in my small town. I cant imagine having to jump through hoops to simply get a visit with my doctor. Wow. Not a life I ever want to live.

I have a local doctor in my small town. I cant imagine having to jump through hoops to simply get a visit with my doctor. Wow. Not a life I ever want to live.

I know for my doctor, to get an appointment I can request it electronically instead of calling. A lot easier! But that wouldn't work for a DAS video call where you needed to get them on the call. To each his or her own though :)

With Genie and Genie+ launching soon, I expect that the new DAS will launch soon too, so hopefully we'll get some firsthand feedback on what the video call is like.

I admin a Facebook group for people with disabilities (can’t share it here) but one of the issues we see every day from people is the anxiety of having to ask for the DAS. I think the video call might ease that anxiety, somewhat? However, I think it’ll also be easier for the CM to turn people down? They might be better prepared in knowing what qualifies and what doesn’t, so they can sniff out fakers, but I’m worried about people who should qualify who have difficulty advocating for themselves, and get turned away due to an inability to communicate what their needs are. I have a fantastic speech on behalf of my autistic children that I’ve perfected over time, that I think will translate great to video, and I still fret a little. Without DAS and the red tag for the stroller, there is no chance for us to survive a day at the park.
All in all, I’m all for the enhancements, and I’m curious to see people try it out for themselves and hear about their experiences

Has there been any further details released on the DAS end of things - what rides will be eligible for DAS, which ones for advanced booking etc?

Mobility issues aren't covered by DAS and haven't been since the old GAC system circa 2012. Almost all lines at Disney World are accessible for scooters, so she'll go through the regular line with everyone else.

I'm very late to this thread but I went in May and used an ECV. I found 3/4 parks had ECV-accessible lines so it was nice that my whole party could stay together. I think there were only one or two rides that we had to go through the exit.
The park that had the fewest accessible lines was Magic Kingdom and I assume that's because of how they built some of the attraction buildings back in the day.

I don't know what doctor you go to, but some days, I talk to 3 people in 2 other offices and get transferred to a phone center before I receive a phone call back from the doctors' office :rotfl2:

My doctors office was just bought by a large university system--call center and all. Even before the buyout my providers weren't available for calls at the drop of a hat (unless it was emergent and requiring same-day attention).

I'm very late to this thread but I went in May and used an ECV. I found 3/4 parks had ECV-accessible lines so it was nice that my whole party could stay together. I think there were only one or two rides that we had to go through the exit.
The park that had the fewest accessible lines was Magic Kingdom and I assume that's because of how they built some of the attraction buildings back in the day.

That's been my experience as well. I use a very small power chair and have no problem in most lines. The park with the most accessibility issues is definitely MK - between queues and the layout of QS restaurants, it can be a bit difficult. Also SWGE is surprisingly difficult to navigate given that, unlike MK, it wasn't built in the 70s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter