Change in pricing for people over 9 ordering from kids menus

I can definitely see them taking away the option of adults ordering off the kids menu.

We have seen other cost saving measures taken away:

Double cheeseburger with extra bun purchase

BOG gone to prix fixe after people book ADRs for one cupcake

CG now being prix fixe may have to do with people booking ADRs for only dessert and stay at a seat for several hours for a fireworks view

Does it cost more to make the same meal for a 9 year old as it does for a 15 year old or even a 30 year old?
No. But if the alternative is the 15yr old or 30yr old is then going to purchase a more profitable adult meal instead, Disney makes less money allowing that customer to buy a kids meals. Disney restaurants seemingly run close to fully booked..at least since COVID. So if Disney does make more restrictive changes, the people who want to order cheaper kids meals, and decide not to dine TS anymore, will likely be replaced with people who have no issue paying the adult prices.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth, which no one cares about, LOL.
I am a "senior" citizen and cannot eat that much. I hate wasting food, so I always order off the kids menu. What difference does it make who eats the food? These things tend to even out, IMO. My grandsons could eat a regular meal when they were under 9. There are adults who eat a lot more than one meal, so what does it matter if someone eats a kids meal?
I think they could get around this "kids vs adults" meal thing if they simply called the meals: regular or small. No mention of kids.
BTW, I have never been confronted about ordering a kids meal. I more than make up for that it in snacks, ice cream, cupcakes, cookies, desserts, etc, LOL.
Does it cost more to make the same meal for a 9 year old as it does for a 15 year old or even a 30 year old?
That is not the point. The restaurant has financial numbers to hit, that is calculated by an algorithm that estimates how many adult and how many children meals are purchased. The lower price point for the children's is offset by the higher price point for the adults. SO the numbers of how many of each price point do matter. And if the financial goal is not met - they will fix it whether that is to raise prices, enforce 9 and under, prix fixe or something else. There is an easy fix for guests - just don't eat at those restaurants where you can't get your monies worth.

And I doubt most would want the meals to be regular and small. The price point would have to change. A kids meal now at $13.00 would likely jump up to $22.00 or more, and the regular meal would go from $38.00 to $52.00. It's the only way to get the end dollar point they want. You would have lots of upset parents of younger kids, and I think that would be a big impact on ADRs.

I get it I do, I used to love CA Grill in the old days when food and service was exceptional. When that declined we'd fill our table with appetizers and sushi. We'd tell the server bring check with food so we can turn your table fast. I totally get why they went prix fixe and likely will stay until ADRs slow, we had a good run. Last trip we did Topolino for very late "dinner" and filled table with appetizers. Our best service ever. We went during a slow timeframe and never felt rushed. If I had to pay prix fixe there - yup, I'd likely only go every so many years. The great thing is that every single dining decision we make is optional. If TS is not working for you price, portion etc then there is plenty of quick serve where you can get a kid's meal or easily split an adult. That will never change because (1) the cost of enforcing would be prohibitive (2) the price point difference really isn't worth the fight.

NOTE: Each restaurant is it's own profit center (so all the snacks eaten don't help them make their numbers) with their own budgets, own managers, own menu decisions and now we are starting to see own rules coming in to play. And remember right now there is no Dining Plan which forces adults to use adult credits at TS. Yes, some might share meals but I imagine when most use the DDP, the thought process doesn't worry about the nickel and diming, DDP was a pretty steady income for restaurants.

Last edited:
No restaurant at Disney could (or would) operate if everyone ordered kids meals. It’s ludicrous. It’s heavily discounted FOR CHILDREN.

Does a shirt you buy on sale cost less to make because you got a 25% off discount? Nope. The seller has decided to offer an enticement to impact your behavior. Much like Disney offers heavily discounted meals (again, for CHILDREN) to get parents to dine out.

Imagine being a server where all the adults want to order off the kids menu and you get a 75% smaller tip.

Of all the times I’ve ever been to a Disney restaurant, I’ve never personally ordered, nor seen any other adult order, a kids meal. Yet, all of a sudden the Dave Ramsey’s of the internet have decided it’s leading to financial ruin for Disney. One person even mentioned their disdain at the fact that they were likely subsidizing the poor folks meals. I think we all need to grab our collective bootstraps and work harder so Disney doesn’t go out of business due to losing so much money on frozen chicken fingers. Personally I’m going to do my part and get a third job at Casey’s and give out a second free hot dog bun to everyone over the age of 70.

Of all the times I’ve ever been to a Disney restaurant, I’ve never personally ordered, nor seen any other adult order, a kids meal. Yet, all of a sudden the Dave Ramsey’s of the internet have decided it’s leading to financial ruin for Disney. One person even mentioned their disdain at the fact that they were likely subsidizing the poor folks meals. I think we all need to grab our collective bootstraps and work harder so Disney doesn’t go out of business due to losing so much money on frozen chicken fingers. Personally I’m going to do my part and get a third job at Casey’s and give out a second free hot dog bun to everyone over the age of 70.
No, I've never seen any adult order a child's meal at a restaurant either. I've even asked on this forum before whether anyone had done it, and no one had, or at least no one admitted to it. Yet, here, we suddenly have a nine page thread about it. I did order a kids' side once, and I wondered if the server would let me since, when I'd asked here it hadn't been tried.. But it was a hot day and I wanted mixed fruit with my meal. It was offered on the kids' menu, but not adults'. I got it, so that was my experience with ordering kids meals at TS restaurants. Nine pages has really surprised me.

No, I've never seen any adult order a child's meal at a restaurant either. I've even asked on this forum before whether anyone had done it, and no one had, or at least no one admitted to it. Yet, here, we suddenly have a nine page thread about it. I did order a kids' side once, and I wondered if the server would let me since, when I'd asked here it hadn't been tried.. But it was a hot day and I wanted mixed fruit with my meal. It was offered on the kids' menu, but not adults'. I got it, so that was my experience with ordering kids meals at TS restaurants. Nine pages has really surprised me.

I’ve seen plenty of trip reports of people ordering kids meals at QS places but not TS places. It’s probably just a disboards thing and not something the average first does.

And let’s not forget the toppings bar still not returning to Peco Bills. That may have to do with people creating entering meals out of it. It can’t be due to Covid anymore. Buffets are back so toppings bars can be too.
Remember the FREE salads people made. Saw it a lot. Asked for an extra plate "for kids to share" and then helped themselves to lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese ... and grab a ranch dipping sauce - boom free salad. They really would be dumb to bring it back.
No restaurant at Disney could (or would) operate if everyone ordered kids meals. It’s ludicrous. It’s heavily discounted FOR CHILDREN.

Does a shirt you buy on sale cost less to make because you got a 25% off discount? Nope. The seller has decided to offer an enticement to impact your behavior. Much like Disney offers heavily discounted meals (again, for CHILDREN) to get parents to dine out.

Imagine being a server where all the adults want to order off the kids menu and you get a 75% smaller tip.
THIS^

Why does someone have to pay for an adult's park ticket when they don't do rides?
Why does my son and I have to pay the same as a family of 4 for a hotel room, we use less towels, water and bus seats.
Why should I have to buy an adult meal just because I'm an adult?

Because the business operates and profits on space whether it's park capacity, rooms, chairs, space .... and the prices for all that are based on an algorithm of child/adult and one makes up for the other.
Likely you were enjoying your own meal and not taking notice of what your neighbors were eating. Obviously it is enough that Disney is now upcharging when guests do that. And by reading here there are lots of people here that do it.

What you did was substitute a side. That is different than asking to get a meal that might be 20% the price of an adult's meal.

I think things get to be nine pages plus when it's touched a nerve either way. Whenever Disney shifts the gears to change their pricing or enforce their "rules" ... some don't care, some say they get it and some are upset.

OR if they are having a great time aka RUMORS OF LIGHT LOUNGE! 🍹🍷🍸🍺🥃

I think they could get around this "kids vs adults" meal thing if they simply called the meals: regular or small. No mention of kids.
Some places do or they have tapas ( often slightly larger than apps but normally slightly smaller than entrees) although tapas is usually at a type of place you're going to. Some places have a smaller version on their menu. We just ate at a place last week in Vegas where a smaller version of the omelet was $1 less. I wasn't going for the savings (I mean it was still about $15 even with the $1 off) just that I didn't think I could eat that large of what they are famous for which was large omelets. From what it sounded like it was not quite half the size of the normal one but was at least a significant amount less in size.

That said let's be real if the issue was just portion sizes, which I agree is a legit issue to some, price on the consumer's point wouldn't be an issue, people would simply pay whatever the restaurant told them to in exchange to get that smaller portion. While I didn't have a problem paying just $1 less for a smaller version what are the chances that the masses is fine with only paying $1 less? I think if places could count more on this, because many do express just the portion issue, they probably would.

However realistically people tend to expect to pay the kids price for menu options with an age cut off or on the other end pay the senior price for menu options with a cut off age (which hasn't of yet been talked about) if you fall outside that range. Most places couldn't price a lot of their menu items at a 50% or more discount for a smaller portion and make that available for everyone all the time by removing kids or senior items from their menus even if that portion was half the normal entree. In the case of the Vegas place we went to it was just $1 off like I mentioned, I don't imagine that would be well received at Disney..or en masse as an industry standard.

Dave Ramsey would never approve a Disney trip unless you had $4M in liquid assets. He knows nothing of the disboards 😂

That is not the point. The restaurant has financial numbers to hit, that is calculated by an algorithm that estimates how many adult and how many children meals are purchased. The lower price point for the children's is offset by the higher price point for the adults. SO the numbers of how many of each price point do matter. And if the financial goal is not met - they will fix it whether that is to raise prices, enforce 9 and under, prix fixe or something else. There is an easy fix for guests - just don't eat at those restaurants where you can't get your monies worth.

And I doubt most would want the meals to be regular and small. The price point would have to change. A kids meal now at $13.00 would likely jump up to $22.00 or more, and the regular meal would go from $38.00 to $52.00. It's the only way to get the end dollar point they want. You would have lots of upset parents of younger kids, and I think that would be a big impact on ADRs.

I get it I do, I used to love CA Grill in the old days when food and service was exceptional. When that declined we'd fill our table with appetizers and sushi. We'd tell the server bring check with food so we can turn your table fast. I totally get why they went prix fixe and likely will stay until ADRs slow, we had a good run. Last trip we did Topolino for very late "dinner" and filled table with appetizers. Our best service ever. We went during a slow timeframe and never felt rushed. If I had to pay prix fixe there - yup, I'd likely only go every so many years. The great thing is that every single dining decision we make is optional. If TS is not working for you price, portion etc then there is plenty of quick serve where you can get a kid's meal or easily split an adult. That will never change because (1) the cost of enforcing would be prohibitive (2) the price point difference really isn't worth the fight.

NOTE: Each restaurant is it's own profit center (so all the snacks eaten don't help them make their numbers) with their own budgets, own managers, own menu decisions and now we are starting to see own rules coming in to play. And remember right now there is no Dining Plan which forces adults to use adult credits at TS. Yes, some might share meals but I imagine when most use the DDP, the thought process doesn't worry about the nickel and diming, DDP was a pretty steady income for restaurants.
I can understand your point. For many years disney never had a problem with who ate what. Now? with the "leaders" that are in power, they are taking away yet another convenience for people who I still feel did not have an impact on them at all, or very little. Disney got a lot of good will for Not nickel and diming everything. They had bills back "then", too, and could have done what chapek has done. But some things can't have a money tag put on them. This will cause even more bad feelings among guests for whatever money they might make. Like I said, a lot of people eat the adult meals who are not adult and visa versa - It must even out in the end, and Why is this even an issue, IMO (not a question just a statement)

For those who say that "if everyone ordered kids meals, restaurants would go out of business", I say hogwash! If EVERYONE were ordering the kids meal, they'd up the price to compensate for that. Heck, they'd probably drop all the adult meals, because they wouldn't need those fancy adult ingredients.

The idea that children's prices are artificially low to entice people to bring their children is one that exists outside the Disney bubble. My local restaurants have "kids eat free" days. At home, regular folks with kids aren't eating out. But, at Disney, everyone is eating out. And Disney is kid focused. So, the idea that Disney is enticing people to bring their children to restaurants by offering a kids meal is complete nonsense.

When we took the grand nephews, who were very food adventurous at age 9, we marked them down as being 10 and paid for the adult deluxe dining plan, knowing they wouldn't want the kids meal choices. They had sushi, bison, lamb, and all kinds of things that "normal" kids wouldn't ordinarily eat. But, being 9, they could never finish any meal. Never once did they order a kids meal. They must have thanked us a dozen times for not buying the kids dining plan, because the kids meals at that time were oriented to very young children, and not them.

Disney has introduced what I call "big kids" options on many of the kids menus since I took the grand nephews. These are smaller versions of adult meals. They're not everywhere yet, but they would have been a good fit for the amount of food the grand nephews could eat at age 9, but a bad fit because they liked the variety offered by the adult menu. As I'm getting older, I'm getting to the point where the Disney portions are too large for me. At some point, I'll undoubtedly look at the "big kids" options for myself.

Frankly, if Disney wanted to stop the controversy, they could just move these "big kids" meals to a separate category called "For Smaller Appetites" and charge accordingly, without the pretense of them being "for children 9 and under". When Disney reintroduces the dining plan (if ever), they could allow kids to pick from the traditional menu, or from the "For Smaller Appetites" menu. Problem solved.

For those who say that "if everyone ordered kids meals, restaurants would go out of business", I say hogwash! If EVERYONE were ordering the kids meal, they'd up the price to compensate for that. Heck, they'd probably drop all the adult meals, because they wouldn't need those fancy adult ingredients.

The idea that children's prices are artificially low to entice people to bring their children is one that exists outside the Disney bubble. My local restaurants have "kids eat free" days. At home, regular folks with kids aren't eating out. But, at Disney, everyone is eating out. And Disney is kid focused. So, the idea that Disney is enticing people to bring their children to restaurants by offering a kids meal is complete nonsense.

When we took the grand nephews, who were very food adventurous at age 9, we marked them down as being 10 and paid for the adult deluxe dining plan, knowing they wouldn't want the kids meal choices. They had sushi, bison, lamb, and all kinds of things that "normal" kids wouldn't ordinarily eat. But, being 9, they could never finish any meal. Never once did they order a kids meal. They must have thanked us a dozen times for not buying the kids dining plan, because the kids meals at that time were oriented to very young children, and not them.

Disney has introduced what I call "big kids" options on many of the kids menus since I took the grand nephews. These are smaller versions of adult meals. They're not everywhere yet, but they would have been a good fit for the amount of food the grand nephews could eat at age 9, but a bad fit because they liked the variety offered by the adult menu. As I'm getting older, I'm getting to the point where the Disney portions are too large for me. At some point, I'll undoubtedly look at the "big kids" options for myself.

Frankly, if Disney wanted to stop the controversy, they could just move these "big kids" meals to a separate category called "For Smaller Appetites" and charge accordingly, without the pretense of them being "for children 9 and under". When Disney reintroduces the dining plan (if ever), they could allow kids to pick from the traditional menu, or from the "For Smaller Appetites" menu. Problem solved.
or do as the park I work at and drop the kids menu. that includes "For Smaller Appetites" menu

"if everyone ordered kids meals, restaurants would go out of business", I say hogwash! If EVERYONE were ordering the kids meal, they'd up the price to compensate for that.
I'd agree with you except people en masse do no in anyway shape or form will take that answer and be okay with it. People will not be okay with Disney just removing kids meals and increasing the price substantially. People want the lowest price possible. Only a minority would take the portion and be fine with it regardless of the price. Disney is sorta stuck here, already people complain about the increased move to fix prixe menus.

They're discounted relative to the rest of the menu but not compared to the world outside of the Disney bubble. Disney is definitely making money on those kid's meals.
Perfect example as clothing has ridiculous markups. 25% discount would still be well above cost.

They're discounted relative to the rest of the menu but not compared to the world outside of the Disney bubble. Disney is definitely making money on those kid's meals.

Perfect example as clothing has ridiculous markups. 25% discount would still be well above cost.
There are adults that buy children's accessories because they like the way they look, or children's clothing because they are small enough that it fits. According to some, these people are exploiting a loophole, costing Disney a lot of money, and Disney should ID them and limit purchases to those who are actually children. Or maybe stop selling children's clothing and accessories all together.

There are adults that buy children's accessories because they like the way they look, or children's clothing because they are small enough that it fits. According to some, these people are exploiting a loophole, costing Disney a lot of money, and Disney should ID them and limit purchases to those who are actually children. Or maybe stop selling children's clothing and accessories all together.
I get your point throughout the thread but it's a tad different with some of these other random examples.

We're talking about a meal consumed by an adult at a TS restaurant by which the waiter/waitress knows the adult is consuming it for them and them alone not their children and this is not about purchasing clothes or accessories. The age limit for things is for safety and/or sizing. They are not structured at all like a kids meal vs non-kids meal in price OR function.

As far as loophole while no one truly knows of an impact it could cause it's not outlandish to bring it up. Hacks, tiktok peeps and influencers all can make something small into something large. I'm sure many are aware of Six Flags removal of their meal plan due to tik tok videos surfacing of just how people were taking a basic thing and making it something it was not intended for. At least if people wouldn't be so public about stuff lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter