CHange from AofA family suite to FW Cabin? UPDATED

quandrea

DIS Veteran
We are a family of five. Currently booked in a Cars suite. A FW cabin just came available for $600 more for six nights. Which is the better resort? How hard is it to get around FW? What is the bus situation like? I’m tempted by the kitchen, but wonder if AofA is the nicer resort, despite being a value.

We are dvc and usually book Villas. Out of points this trip.

We stayed in both Art of Animation and Fort Wilderness cabin on our last trip. The AoA room layout was good with two bathrooms and plenty of space. We dislike the interior decor. It did not seem nice. It was very garish and seemed like day care furniture. The room was quiet and comfortable. The resort in general was fine. We were in the Nemo section but I thought the Car's area was great. The food court was fine. We had a car so did not use the buses.
We LOVED our cabin at Fort Wilderness. It was nice to be in the trees, not connected to other rooms and have the car right outside. The interior decor was nice. The room was comfortable and it was quiet though I can imagine loud neighbors could be an issue. One smallish bathroom worked for us. Two is usually better for a larger group. Obviously the lack of food court may be a turn off for some. Again we had a car so did not use the buses but I would hesitate to stay there if we did not have a car. You need to plan for a bit more time for transport as you have to take a bus to the dock and transfer to the boat or take a bus to the check in building and transfer to another bus to your destination.

We stayed in both Art of Animation and Fort Wilderness cabin on our last trip. The AoA room layout was good with two bathrooms and plenty of space. We dislike the interior decor. It did not seem nice. It was very garish and seemed like day care furniture. The room was quiet and comfortable. The resort in general was fine. We were in the Nemo section but I thought the Car's area was great. The food court was fine. We had a car so did not use the buses.
We LOVED our cabin at Fort Wilderness. It was nice to be in the trees, not connected to other rooms and have the car right outside. The interior decor was nice. The room was comfortable and it was quiet though I can imagine loud neighbors could be an issue. One smallish bathroom worked for us. Two is usually better for a larger group. Obviously the lack of food court may be a turn off for some. Again we had a car so did not use the buses but I would hesitate to stay there if we did not have a car. You need to plan for a bit more time for transport as you have to take a bus to the dock and transfer to the boat or take a bus to the check in building and transfer to another bus to your destination.

The garish decoration at the values is s real drawback. Like the increased square footage of the Suites though. The cabins are more recently refurbished though.
I love the cabins...but...always pick two bathrooms.
Point taken. I think I’m concerned about the potential chaos of a value resort. The cabins would be peaceful and would allow me to cook one meal a day, plus breakfast. I’m not keen on having to head out for a second meal as we are half day park people.

For our kids age, (12, 6, 6)...we would choose AoA.

FWIW, the Cars Suite decor is better and less "preschool" than the Nemo rooms.

$600 is a lot of money. AoA is easier to get around the resort and enjoy the pool, etc. Also, two bathrooms beats kitchen for us at this point.

For our kids age, (12, 6, 6)...we would choose AoA.

FWIW, the Cars Suite decor is better and less "preschool" than the Nemo rooms.

$600 is a lot of money. AoA is easier to get around the resort and enjoy the pool, etc. Also, two bathrooms beats kitchen for us at this point.
I think you’re right. I’ve been researching the cabins a bit more and transportation seems a real hassle at the fort.

Transportation at the Fort is a bit of a hassle (as you are relying on the internal bus system) unless you have a bike or a golf cart. We had a golf cart, which was a lot of fun for the kids (my 16 yr old is a newly licensed driver) but disney charges $60/day plus tax to rent it from them; there are a couple of offsite vendors who offer $35/day but you have to pick it up offsite and bring it in. That said, we love the cabins - the deck is fantastic and having the kitchen saved us a lot of money. AoA has a better pool imo.

The garish decoration at the values is s real drawback. Like the increased square footage of the Suites though. The cabins are more recently refurbished though.

Point taken. I think I’m concerned about the potential chaos of a value resort. The cabins would be peaceful and would allow me to cook one meal a day, plus breakfast. I’m not keen on having to head out for a second meal as we are half day park people.

Cabins sound like a good choice for you. We love the retreat from the parks and hustle and bustle to the cabins' quiet. We used to always ask for the 2100 loop so anyone could walk over to the next loop for the comfort station, when needed, but Dis took out those cabins last year.

Transportation isn't that bad and with the new parking fees mixing in the occasional Cab/uber/Minnie Van is less than daily parking fees.

Last edited:
Booked the Fort!!!! The agent got me an Ap rate that was $400 cheaper than AofA!! With the savings I booked a golf cart and still pocketed $100! Very excited. I think we will love it.

Thank you to all who replied.
That's awesome! With a golf cart, you can get around the fort easily and on your own schedule. You can't beat being so close to the MK and you can easily access the MK resorts if you want to dine at any of them. We have stayed at AoA and the Fort and the fort gets my vote.

If you are going anytime Oct-december, make time to loop through the campsites and check out the decorations after dark. Many campers decorate for Halloween and Christmas. Some are quite elaborate.

Booked the Fort!!!! The agent got me an Ap rate that was $400 cheaper than AofA!! With the savings I booked a golf cart and still pocketed $100! Very excited. I think we will love it.

Thank you to all who replied.

That’s WONDERFUL Ithink you will love it too. The Golf Cart was like an additional attraction.
Have you considered a Grocery Delivery to your Cabin? It’s a great service for breakfast foods, drinks, snacks and more if you plan to cook. We used Garden Grocer and were very pleased, but they can be expensive. Instacart delivers for Publix and I have seen good reviews.
With the recent refurbishment they took out the range and replaced it with a 3(I think) burner cooktop and a convection microwave. It opened the space and made the living area bigger. However both are fine for cooking a meal. You also have your own charcoal grill.

That’s WONDERFUL Ithink you will love it too. The Golf Cart was like an additional attraction.
Have you considered a Grocery Delivery to your Cabin? It’s a great service for breakfast foods, drinks, snacks and more if you plan to cook. We used Garden Grocer and were very pleased, but they can be expensive. Instacart delivers for Publix and I have seen good reviews.
With the recent refurbishment they took out the range and replaced it with a 3(I think) burner cooktop and a convection microwave. It opened the space and made the living area bigger. However both are fine for cooking a meal. You also have your own charcoal grill.
Grocery order is done. The big attraction with the cabins was the ability to cook. No need to head out a second time in the day to find a restaurant.

Grocery order is done. The big attraction with the cabins was the ability to cook. No need to head out a second time in the day to find a restaurant.

Beware the present oven in the cabin is one of those microwave/convection combos and on the small side. Might want to watch a couple of youtube videos on using them so you're ready for any adaptation you might need. Also, IIRC the present cook top is only two burners.

Check the time listings for the movies at the Fort. Order S'more stuff with your groceries and go to the Chip'N'Dale campfire sing-a-long. Go down to the beach and watch the night electrical boat parade and the fireworks across the lake; they pump the accompanying music in.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/chip-n-dale-campfire-sing-a-long/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/electrical-water-pageant/

Last edited:
Beware the present oven in the cabin is one of those microwave/convection combos and on the small side. Might want to watch a couple of youtube videos on using them so you're ready for any adaptation you might need. Also, IIRC the present cook top is only two burners.

Check the time listings for the movies at the Fort. Order S'more stuff with your groceries and go to the Chip'N'Dale campfire sing-a-long. Go down to the beach and watch the night electrical boat parade and the fireworks across the lake; they pump the accompanying music in.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/chip-n-dale-campfire-sing-a-long/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/electrical-water-pageant/
Thanks for the advice. So much to learn about this special place.

With the golf cart the cabin would be my choice also. An extra bathroom is great, but FW just has such a family feel.
My kids loved the campfire movies and the hay ride and the horse barn. Bring some decorations for your cart.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but will the OP be able to fit her whole family of 5 into a regular golf cart?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter