• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chance of upgrade AKL

timsueshd

Julie the Cruise Director
We booked a standard view room in November at AKL. Is there a chance to be upgraded to a savanna view room?

Thanks

Do you mean for free? If so, then virtually no chance at all but it does happen.

With two floors DVC villas, there are fewer rooms to just hand out.

I would not expect you to get a full savanna but when I last resort hopped one of the nice CM's told me they will try to fill the partial view rooms before putting people in the Standard View Room and she told me many of the room that are partial have spectacular views.

AKL is the only resort where I've actually been downgraded... :upsidedow

My advice is always to book the room category you want.

We booked a standard view room in November at AKL. Is there a chance to be upgraded to a savanna view room?

Thanks

Went to AKL last November and they had not upgrades available. I did get a great room very near to bus stops that allowed me to bypass the lobby. I may request that room for my next trip because it was so convenient.

A room upgrade is like winning the lottery or winning at slot machines. Of course there is a chance you can get one (or win)
Odds are low so never gets hopes up and for sure don't count on it

I would just ask for a room on the Kudu trail. We had a standard room and we had great views of animals. I never expect an upgrade because it's never happened for us.

Yes it can happen and even if you ask, the worse thing that they can do is say no.

It used to happen more than it does now, with resorts operating at higher capasity these days. I’d just put in a room request for what floor you’d like, high or low, with nice view and hope for the best.

A room upgrade is like winning the lottery or winning at slot machines. Of course there is a chance you can get one (or win)
Odds are low so never gets hopes up and for sure don't count on it

WHen I was planning our forst trip back since my kids were young I read all kinds of stories of upgrades. We have booked AKL Savannah view, but I was dreaming that my upgrade to CL woudl magically occur at check in. After all, it happened so frequently, yes? No. Someone pointed out that we read about the lovely upgrades soem family's receive, but what about all the ones who do not? They do not write about the times their category stayed their category, so book what you want, because if you do not you may not be able to upgrade for cost at check in. SO I did. I called and upgraded our rooms, enjoyed our stay, and have booked what my family will be satisfied with ever since

OP- if you have your heart set on Savannah view, book that category If you are okay with your view, then take the chance, you never know.

All the details are in this post. Long story short, Disney overbooked their savanna view rooms and downgraded me to a standard view room the day of my arrival. They refunded the difference in price.
Geez that's pretty rude I had a friend once whose room category was overbooked and instead of downgrading her the Poly gave her CL and they apologized. Guess its just who your dealing with.

In 2016, I booked a Standard View room at AKL and we ended up getting a Savanna view bunk bed room. We did online check-in and didn't have to stop at the front desk. I got our room number text when we were on the Magical Express from the airport to the resort. In 2012, I booked a Woods View room at the WL and we were assigned a Courtyard view room. In both cases, I didn't ask for an upgrade, nor did we have to pay the difference in room rates. So, it does happen! On both of those reservations, I had noted special occasions. In 2012, it was my daughter's first visit ever, and then in 2016, it was our anniversary trip. Not sure that had anything at all to do with the rooms we got, but we've been very lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter