CGM on Disney World rides?

Adora

DIS Veteran
So the last time I was at a theme park I wasn't on insulin. Now I have a pump and a Dexcom CGM on my arm. Wondering how people find these? Are there certain rides that smack your arm. Or the best place to put your pump to keep it safe?

So the last time I was at a theme park I wasn't on insulin. Now I have a pump and a Dexcom CGM on my arm. Wondering how people find these? Are there certain rides that smack your arm. Or the best place to put your pump to keep it safe?
One of my sons has been on a pump for almost 20 years (since he was 2) and a cgm when the first ones came out (2009?) and we've been to WDW a lot. He doesn't take any special precautions for his arm on the rides (assuming your Dex is there). His infusion set is on his abdomen and the pump is usually in his pocket. He has a Tandem pump now and he just leaves it in his pocket for rides. There are some nice slim fanny pack type things with stretchy fabric and a hole cut out for the pump cord that he used at one point. He hasn't had a problem with the amount of water from the rides like Splash. I can't remember the last time he did Kali RR - cause you can get dumped on there. If your pump isn't water resistant I'd perhaps unhook and put it in a ziplock in a fanny pack attached to you (not a bag you could set down). He does all the coaster and we've been to parks with bigger coasters like Busch Gardens and he kept the pump in his pocket.

Keeping something like that in your pocket depends on how small and loose your pockets are of course.

Ahh... found a link to the Spibelt fanny pack made especially for those with pumps: https://spibelt.com/collections/medical
They make a double pouch version to hold the pump on one side and whatever (phone? receiver? credit cards?) on the other. We met the woman who founded the company - they would go to the Children With Diabetes conference - and I have high regards for them. Their products were great. My son won't wear that sort of runner's belt anymore but he used them for a long time and this is what I'd get if I had a pump. https://spibelt.com/pages/spibelt-diabetic-community

My son uses Omnipod and Dexcom to Loop - he's had no issues with site placement for either one with rides. Usually the pod is on his stomach, dexcom on his arm. He did bring a small dry bag (like you'd use for kayaking) to bring them on Kali Rapids, and everything was fine.

Thank you

Glad you mentioned the arm, that was my worry. It hitting the sides of a ride and smacking it too hard. I wish the G7 would come out before we go but I know it won't in Canada with any speed.

I'm gonna have to figure out the pump. It's waterproof (Tandem) but I wear it on the top of my pants (which I know has a name but I cannot think of it) with the clip on the pump. I'm wondering if it will come undone and fly off on a ride, or if the pump will get crushed by any of the bars. Wondering if I should stuff it between my breasts lol.

One of my sons doesn't take any special precautions for his arm on the rides (assuming your Dex is there). His infusion set is on his abdomen and the pump is usually in his pocket. He has a Tandem pump now and he just leaves it in his pocket for rides. He does all the coaster and we've been to parks with bigger coasters like Busch Gardens and he kept the pump in his pocket.

Keeping something like that in your pocket depends on how small and loose your pockets are of course.
Did he ever find the Dexcom would come off his arm with the heat? I was thinking it might get banged up on the side of a ride or anything. Worse thing about it being something new to me.

Sadly as a female pockets rarely exist lol. If it won't get crushed by the lap bar or anything, I might just hook it in my underwear under my shorts when on a ride. Should be pretty snug. Sigh Just one more thing

Thank you

Glad you mentioned the arm, that was my worry. It hitting the sides of a ride and smacking it too hard. I wish the G7 would come out before we go but I know it won't in Canada with any speed.

I'm gonna have to figure out the pump. It's waterproof (Tandem) but I wear it on the top of my pants (which I know has a name but I cannot think of it) with the clip on the pump. I'm wondering if it will come undone and fly off on a ride, or if the pump will get crushed by any of the bars. Wondering if I should stuff it between my breasts lol.
Dexcom and Tandem girl here. 👋 I wear my pump I think the same place as you, clipped to my waistband. I've never had a problem with it coming off on a ride. Before you go make sure your clip is tight, I find my Tandem clip gets loose every now and then from sliding it on and off my waistband. I'll occasionally slide the pump more towards my back, especially if there's a lap bar restraint. But that's about it. Also, am always checking my tubing that it's tucked away and not caught on anything before I stand up to exit a ride.

I wear Dexcom on my abdomen. I use Skin Tac wipes before applying my sensor and have never had one come loose in the FL heat and humidity. If it's on your arm, it MIGHT get knocked around but I can't think of any rides where it definitely would happen.

Dexcom and Tandem girl here. 👋 I wear my pump I think the same place as you, clipped to my waistband. I've never had a problem with it coming off on a ride. Before you go make sure your clip is tight, I find my Tandem clip gets loose every now and then from sliding it on and off my waistband. I'll occasionally slide the pump more towards my back, especially if there's a lap bar restraint. But that's about it. Also, am always checking my tubing that it's tucked away and not caught on anything before I stand up to exit a ride.

I wear Dexcom on my abdomen. I use Skin Tac wipes before applying my sensor and have never had one come loose in the FL heat and humidity. If it's on your arm, it MIGHT get knocked around but I can't think of any rides where it definitely would happen.
Waistband! Man i could not think of the word lol. Ok, I will do that. I might put it clipped on the inside of the waistband first just to get a feel but good to know other's find the clip good.

Question about the skin tac, do you have to worry that you only go around the sticker and not where the needle goes? Or can you just slap it on your arm no biggie? Normally I have to use adhesive remover to get it off after 10 days, so I'm not used to having to try to keep it on better :)

Question about the skin tac, do you have to worry that you only go around the sticker and not where the needle goes? Or can you just slap it on your arm no biggie? Normally I have to use adhesive remover to get it off after 10 days, so I'm not used to having to try to keep it on better :)
Well if it stays on pretty well normally you might not need any extra adhesive.

To answer your question, I apply the SkinTac directly onto the adhesive pad of the sensor while it's still in the insertion clicky-thingy (no idea what that is called). I'm careful not to get any near the needle or sensor wire, only on the white sticker. Let dry a few seconds then insert sensor as usual. I tried skintac directly on my skin and then insertion but it made a horrible sticky mess if I didnt get just the right spot covered.

I apply the SkinTac directly onto the adhesive pad of the sensor while it's still in the insertion clicky-thingy (no idea what that is called). I'm careful not to get any near the needle or sensor wire, only on the white sticker.
Nice, never thought about doing it that way. Always figured the skintac would stick to the sticker. Wait do you use a skintac liquid or wipe?

Nice, never thought about doing it that way. Always figured the skintac would stick to the sticker. Wait do you use a skintac liquid or wipe?
Wipes. More convenient than carrying a bottle. And wipes can get through airport security without inspection.

Obviously this won’t work for everybody, but if I’m ever in a situation where the belt clip or a pocket doesn’t feel secure, I tuck my pump into my bra.

Re: SkinTac…

It’s awesome… but just a couple tips from someone who lives is hot, sweaty, ugghh Arizona (not as much humidity outside of monsoon season, but you’re just as sweaty all. the. dang. time… 🥵).

One thing you can do is to place the appliance sticker (or patch or cover disc or whatever thing you’ll ultimately be adhering) against your skin before you expose the adhesive. Use a pen to lightly mark around the edge. My dh lightly marked dots every 1/2 inch or so— less dots as he got used to what he was doing (my nephrostomy tubing was out of my reach, but had to be secured with a sticky holder thing).
Then he would first use an alcohol prep pad to clean the area & after it dried completely, tear open the wipe as close to the top of the pouch as possible and expose only a small edge of it to paint on a good layer of SkinTac, staying within the border. You can push the wipe back down into the package, and using several tight narrow folds, fold down the top of the pouch and you’ll be able to use the wipe again a couple times before it gets hard. (In a pinch, if you are running low on wipes, a couple drops of 91% isopropyl alcohol will revive a not-quite-wet-enough wipe to get an extra use out of it.)

Wait for the SkinTac to dry before you peel off the adhesive backing and apply the adhesive to the skin, starting at one edge and smoothing across to the other. If the product is thin and/or flimsy once the backing is peeled off, then peel back just a portion, and fold back the paper backing to create a tab that you can grasp. Apply the edge you exposed and then peel back the “paper” as you continue to smooth the sticky portion across. (Think of how you peel back the paper off of a bandaid as you apply it)

I hope this makes sense. I know my adhesive “appliance/device” is different from yours, but I’ve used this procedure to keep all sorts of adhesive things secure on various parts of mine & family members bodies.

I never thought to put the skin-tac on the adhesive side, but I have successfully used the corner of a SkinTac wipe to wet under & re-secure an edge that has begun to lift.

Btw, copious amounts of isopropyl alcohol, or better still, baby or mineral oil followed by iso. alcohol, will remove any SkinTac stickiness from fingers or anywhere it has dripped. Make sure your appliance is well-adhered and had time to dry if you need to carefully clean up any stray SkinTac from the area. Use a q-tip for good control of where you are cleaning.

Lastly, sometimes a little “heat” can help adhesion, depending on the appliance or product. You can use a hairdryer on low heat, or friction from rubbing briskly (or if you have naturally warm hands) & then apply firm pressure for 15-30 seconds. That alone can help a lot, particularly with stiff appliance borders or over curved areas.

. It's waterproof (Tandem) but I wear it on the
Its not waterproof. From tandems website
We do not recommend users shower, bathe or swim with their Tandem pumps.

NOTE: Watertight and waterproof are not the same. Tandem pumps are watertight not waterproof

Did he ever find the Dexcom would come off his arm with the heat? I was thinking it might get banged up on the side of a ride or anything. Worse thing about it being something new to me.

Sadly as a female pockets rarely exist lol. If it won't get crushed by the lap bar or anything, I might just hook it in my underwear under my shorts when on a ride. Should be pretty snug. Sigh Just one more thing
He uses Skin-tac wipes and does wipe the sensor sticker before it is applied. He also uses the over patch that Dexcom will send you for free. You need to ask Dexcom for them although I think you can request them through their website. Those work well for him.

If you're really concerned that the sensor/transmitter will come off, you could put it on your arm and wrap your arm with that stretch medical wrap. We've done that when he was at water parks in wave pools or the ocean and we wanted to be sure not to lose the transmitter.

He has a Tandem pump and told me he wouldn't worry about it in Kali River Rapids but then again he is less cautious than me about stuff!

Its not waterproof. From tandems website
We do not recommend users shower, bathe or swim with their Tandem pumps.

Sorry I meant I'm not gonna worry on Kali or a flume ride. As the full quote is:

Tandem pumps are watertight (IPX 7), tested to a depth of three feet for up to 30 minutes. Users can have peace of mind knowing that their pump is safe in the event of accidental submersion. We do not recommend users shower, bathe or swim with their Tandem pumps.

I was told by a rep that they have to not recommend those because there are good chances people will forget to check the charging port cover if they use it in water often. But that she has swam with hers on with no issue. Anyway I'm just clarifying.

Also I accidently got in a pool once (forgot I was a diabetic) with my old not watertight pump and got out and freaked, it was fine. So I don't think any ride is gonna be a problem.

I used to use Skin-tac wipes prior to inserting my Dexcom sensor. I'd just apply to my skin directly where I knew I'd apply the sensor and over patch. I'd also use the Pump Peelz over patches. But I've since switched to using the ExpressionsMed over patches and find I no longer need the Skin-tac wipes--the over patches stick as good, if not better, than using the adhesive. I've only ever knocked my sensor off my arm once and that was getting into my car and really bumped my arm hard on the door jam as I was entering--tore it right off!

I never liked the pump holder came with the tandem pump--clip was not very strong at all. I started wearing customizable pump cases from EDCSolutions and have at least 4 Disney-themed cases with a customized clip (that shows since I wear the pump inside my pocket with the clip on the outside).

I've only ever knocked my sensor off my arm once and that was getting into my car and really bumped my arm hard on the door jam as I was entering--tore it right off!

I never liked the pump holder came with the tandem pump--clip was not very strong at all. I started wearing customizable pump cases from EDCSolutions and have at least 4 Disney-themed cases with a customized clip (that shows since I wear the pump inside my pocket with the clip on the outside).

That's funny because the only time I have torn one off was getting in the car too. Took the sensor right off, left the full circle sticker on my arm.

I made them give me a different pump holder when I agreed to change to Tandem, kinda like I will buy your $7000 machine if you throw in the $30 case lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter