"Certified" Disability in Asian Disney parks?

fabfemmeboy

DIS Veteran
(I had also posted this to the "Other Lands" section of the board but thought i would check here as well. My apologies if this is not permitted.)

I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong and Shanghai this winter, obviously including park days. When I visit the US parks, I have used a DAS pass both for my anxiety and for my MS and its physical symptoms. I know that, unlike the US parks, parks that aren't under the Americans with Disabilities Act and HIPPAA do consider/require diagnoses rather than just symptoms/needs, and I've found that both Hong Kong and Shanghai have a DAS-equivalent for people with a "certified disability." The parks also have discount tickets for guests with a "certified disability." I understand some of what might be involved for local guests, but for those of us coming from outside their particular bureaucracy...how do I go about "certifying" my disability or otherwise proving it to them? A doctor's note? A copy of my latest brain scan? I can't imagine that the DAS card is only available if you live locally and therefore have the local version of the certified disability card (and I know I've seen people on the boards from the US or Australia who managed to use a DAS-like system anyway). Any ideas?

I would imagine a letter from your Dr stating you diagnosis, and/or if you have a disability plac card take that.

not necessarily. the process of being certified disabled is MUCH more restrictive and exacting outside of the US. it would depend on what exactly you are wanting them to do as far as accommodations. think for the reduced price tickets to be no different than a FL resident only ticket price.

The link the PP posted seemed to be for mental or cognitive issues. Does anyone know of a similar link for physical challenges?

The link the PP posted seemed to be for mental or cognitive issues. Does anyone know of a similar link for physical challenges?
This is a link to the Disneyland Paris main disability page: http://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

I had just followed the link from the Cognitive part of the page.
The other areas go to similar information. Disneyland Paris did change to the DAS system, but didn’t change the name of their cards since they didn’t have the same issues as the American parks had.

I checked with my friend who lives in Hong Kong and she said that when she went to Hong Kong Disneyland with someone who had a disability, that person had to show the Hong Kong disability card to get an handicap pass. I'd figure that Shanghai is the same and the only thing I could suggest is a letter from your doctor explaining in plain english that you are disabled and what you need as accomodation.

For Tokyo Disney, they run an appointment system and they don't require a doctor's note. I am taking my mom there in September and will let you know how it goes.

This is a case where I would suggest sending an email and then calling to confirm the information in the email response. Since there are nowany ways to get free or dirt cheap international calling from your cell phone, it shouldn't cost too much to call, as long as you take advantage of the best plan you can get or you can always use Google voice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter