Cell Phones during the cruise

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
I read somewhere that you shouldn't use your cell phone during your cruise b/c of the higher rates that will be charged. Does this have any effect if you use the camera on your phone? I know that probably sounded very dumb but I'm clueless about phone & computer things.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use your cell phone during your cruise b/c of the higher rates that will be charged. Does this have any effect if you use the camera on your phone? I know that probably sounded very dumb but I'm clueless about phone & computer things.

No, it won't.

And to avoid accidental data/phone usage, you can just put your phone into "Airplane Mode" (on the iPhone it's Settings>Airplane Mode>On) and you turn off the phone/data part of your phone.

don't worry, I'm the same way!

I had this question in mind.. :confused3:confused3
Isn't it grand when we can ask a "silly" question to friends!
Glad to know what airplane mode is!

I saw someone else post, but I haven’t verified, that since St. Thomas is technically part of the US you can use your cell phone there (the poster uses AT&T) without the out-of-network charge (or whatever it’s called). I would love for someone else to chime in on that. I will be asking AT&T, too (I use them as well).

I saw someone else post, but I haven’t verified, that since St. Thomas is technically part of the US you can use your cell phone there (the poster uses AT&T) without the out-of-network charge (or whatever it’s called). I would love for someone else to chime in on that. I will be asking AT&T, too (I use them as well).

Correct. From at&t.com:
Available as part of your domestic wireless service. Domestic voice, data and messaging rates apply and may vary based on your domestic rate plan and features.
http://www.wireless.att.com/travelg...ls.jsp?CIDL=850&MNC=410&DID1=487&DID2=&STEP=5

They have said you should be careful about St. John though. Keep an eye on what network the phone says it is accessing.

Most phones have the airplane mode which will shut off all data/phone functions and you can use the phone for camera, videos, calendar, notes, etc.

They have said you should be careful about St. John though. Keep an eye on what network the phone says it is accessing.

Most phones have the airplane mode which will shut off all data/phone functions and you can use the phone for camera, videos, calendar, notes, etc.

This is correct. We had to move to airplane mode because it kept picking up the signal from the British Virgin Islands. They wanted to charge $20 per MEGAbyte. With an M - not a G!!!!! :scared1:

Took a screen cap:

581626_3784714011151_1415860296_n.jpg

It doesn't affect you taking pictures with your phone, but I believe it does affect if you send your picture to someone, or post it to facebook, tweet it, etc.

Sayhello

If you're not all that phone savvy, I would recommend going down to your local carrier phone store with your phone and have them show you how to assure you won't be hit by surprise roaming charges.

Frex, I know how to police that stuff on my phone (a Samsung Galaxy), but during a recent last minute trip with my wife, we got hit with some unexpected overage charges on my wife's iPhone because of one of her apps. It was using text messages rather than data.

Even among the same phone OS, things can be different. I spent about an hour with a friend last week trying to figure out how to do something on her LG Android phone that is a snap on my Samsung Android phone.

Best way to know for sure is to have one of your carrier reps show you. Then if you do happen to get hit by surprise, you have the option of going to them and pleading your case that you did it exactly like they showed you...

It doesn't affect you taking pictures with your phone, but I believe it does affect if you send your picture to someone, or post it to facebook, tweet it, etc.

You'd need to wait until you are in the US or a US territory to send them.

There are some functions of an Iphone that will use data or the phone function and you don't realize it - which is why it's recommended to put it in airplane mode rather than just turning the data off. That is easy to do and will shut off all data and phone functions, including text messages, to apps as well.

You can use the internet on an Iphone in airplane mode if you go back in and connect to a wifi hotspot after you activate airplane mode.

Does anyone know if the same is true on Verizon. We are doing the Eastern this fall and that would be helpful!

Does anyone know if the same is true on Verizon. We are doing the Eastern this fall and that would be helpful!

I did a quick search on verizon.com and it appears as if you would be roaming in the US Virgin Islands. Voice showed $1.99/minute. You should call Verizon and verify (I'm an at&t customer so I can't confirm those rates).

Verizon does not cover the US Virgin Islands under domestic plans.

A bit of overkill, I know, but I totally removed my SIM card when we left Port Canaveral. I put it back in when we docked in St. Thomas, and removed it again when we left.

I was able to use the camera app, read my books, watch my movies, listen to music, etc... - and I didn't have to worry about accidentally knocking it out of airplane mode.

Does it work to just turn your phone completely off and not use until your back in the US?:confused3

linco711 said:
Does it work to just turn your phone completely off and not use until your back in the US?:confused3

No, turning your phone off may not stop all the background things from connecting to the Internet. You should put it in Airplane mode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter