Cell phone strength in port

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
Our cellphone plan includes service in Mexico. We know we won’t have a signal on sea days, but what about on the ship when docked on port days, specifically in Cozumel and Progreso? Would we have enough cell strength to not need ship WiFi that day to read DISboards and receive/send email? Thanks!

Yes, the cell phone signal will be fine in port. At last for AT&T. Don't know about other carriers.

If you are deep within the bowels of the ship you might have a weak signal but going up on deck will solve that.

Yes, the cell phone signal will be fine in port. At last for AT&T. Don't know about other carriers.

If you are deep within the bowels of the ship you might have a weak signal but going up on deck will solve that.
Thank you! We do have AT&T, so this helps with the issue of whether to buy WiFi onboard or not. Appreciate it!

There is also a Starbucks at the Port in Cozumel. I normally jump off the ship, grab a refresher at Starbucks and use their wifi to download my emails and upload my photos of the trip thus far.
I found Cozumel had better cell service for me AT&T than Progresso.

How can ie sure that ai am connecting to the localcell service and not cellular@sea?

I have T-Mobile and we were just in Cozumel. I wait until we're in port and turn Airplane mode off and it connects right up to the local network. I usually get a text message a few minutes later that gives me info on the call rates + data info.

I didn't have the best service on the ship - a mix of a fairly ok 3G signal and then sometimes 2 bars of LTE.
I get better service on Castaway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter