Cell phone battery back up

JessyP

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on cell phone battery back up...we use the my disney experience app but I'm worried my cell won't have enough battery to last a long day at the park.. what do you do?

Thanks in advance..

My iPhone 7+ is fine for a day at Disney. But I have my 10,000 mAh portable charger.

You can get a great portable charger with a high mAh capacity for under $20

Thx, I have an iPhone 6 so I'll look into those options..how much extra battery life do your chargers give you?

Thx, I have an iPhone 6 so I'll look into those options..how much extra battery life do your chargers give you?

You can Google how many mAh an iPhone 6 battery has and that'll be how much you'll need to charge. It'll be around 2k mAh

I carry TWO of the portable battery chargers with me to the parks. Some days I don't need either of them. Some days I need both. It depends on how you use your phone in the parks. I am NOT on my phone constantly. I enjoy experiencing the attractions for themselves without my phone. I may glance at it in a line or as I am moving to the next planned activity. Every time I am in the parks I see people GLUED to their phone. Some don't seem to be able to keep up with what is going on around them because they concentrate so much on the phone. But as I said, sometimes my battery needs a lot of help and sometimes it doesn't. I try to be safe.

The mophie case will give you about an extra 80% to 100% depending on the model.

I really like this battery: http://a.co/cfrt4gV
it's expensive compared to others, but it's tiny, easy to carry and has built-in lightning and micro-usb cables. We carry 2 in the parks and it works great.
We also carry a fuel rod as backup so we can get a charged one if necessary.

I have a Mophie battery case.
I second this- I have an iPhone 6s and it allowed me to use my phone the entire day which I could not do without. It is a phone case with a battery built in. When you see your battery getting low, you push a button on the back of the case and it recharges your phone!

If you have an iPhone 6, and you haven't had the battery replaced in your iPhone yet, it's also possible that it's not holding nearly as much charge as it did when it was new. I recently got my battery replaced by Apple and it was basically like having a brand new phone all over again.

As for portable chargers, if you don't like adding bulk to your case, here's one that I was happy with...
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Candy-Bar-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B06XS9RMWS/

(by the way, thanks to @jpeterson for the recommendation on the pack with a built-in lightning cable... that's a great idea!)

Last edited:
There are hundreds of battery packs on Amazon. Look for one that is small enough for your needs and has a lightning charger outlet. I think mine is like 20k mAH with 2 lightning ports. Can charge my phone from 0-90% in something like 20 minutes.

We just got back and with all the picture taking and checking MDE, our batteries got depleted fairly quickly. We bought one Fuel Rod at Disney Springs and shared it for our two phones and it was totally worth the $30. I would charge my phone then trade it in for a fresh fuel rod and DH would charge his. I actually have portable chargers, but I would often forget to charge them overnight and once you're at the park there's nothing you can do to charge them. I highly recommend the fuel rod. My one caveat, we ended up having to use our own cord because the one that came with it didn't fit snugly and kept getting disconnected.

Just get a small one unless you are on your phone a lot while there. We have one- take it with us- and have never used it. The only thing we use a phone for while in the parks are the Lines and MDE apps- all phone and text notifications are turned off. We are at Disney to experience the 'magic'- so our philosophy is all phone calls and texts can wait until we're out of the park.

We just got back and with all the picture taking and checking MDE, our batteries got depleted fairly quickly. We bought one Fuel Rod at Disney Springs and shared it for our two phones and it was totally worth the $30. I would charge my phone then trade it in for a fresh fuel rod and DH would charge his. I actually have portable chargers, but I would often forget to charge them overnight and once you're at the park there's nothing you can do to charge them. I highly recommend the fuel rod. My one caveat, we ended up having to use our own cord because the one that came with it didn't fit snugly and kept getting disconnected.
all of this!
If you use an additional charger a lot in your everyday life, you can do better on Amazon.
But if, like me, you only really need one in the park and often space out on making sure it is charged. . .the fuel rod is great because you can just keep trading it in, passing it around your group as needed etc. It works pretty fast, and the kiosks are in all the parks.

I didn’t have an issue with the cord working, but I DID have an issue plugging it into my iPhone when it was in its Otterbox defender case. It will fit if you take the whole case or, plug it in and then put the case on around it. But to save myself the aggravation, I just keep a lightning cord in my park bag.

Switching to airplane mode when going on an indoor attraction will greatly improve your battery life.

Using the phone for pictures, My Disney Experience app, texts, etc the battery life can be depleted quickly. If you plan to do a park from open to close you will definitely need a portable charger. In addition to using chargers I bring plugs and use outlets if they are available. There have been some places throughout the parks that have popped up to help guests charges devices. In Fantasyland near the Tangled themed restroom area there is a charging area. There is also one in the gift shop at Space Mountain exit, and there is a charging station in Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe.

Good advice someone once gave me was to take a screen shot if MDE showing pertinent info and then load it as the main pic. This way I could check it without going into the app. I also try to leave me phone on airplane mode when with the family. I second a small back up battery.

Our friends used fuel rods while they were there last week. It was definitely something I might consider if we were spending all day commandoing the parks. We've got battery packs we charged in the room at night and also charged during afternoon breaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter