Celebrating birthdays 3 months later?

My 30th is In July but we're going in may and I'm coming from the uk especially for my birthday trip,
I can not come in July,as I will be having my 6th life saving head surgery! To remove an infection from next to my brain that has gone into the bones of my skull.
I will also have a picc line in and be having my 2nd lot of life saving treatment through it for 4months.

I was told last yr that I would not live to see my next birthday,I have 3 children,.
You can bet that I'm going to celebrate that fact I'm still alive and still fighting and ill be celebrating my birthday,even if it is 3 months early!!

Your saying birthdays are nothing that special,well as somebody who is living with a time bomb in my head,and who has had to plan what I want for my funeral at 26 I'd say birthdays are bloody special! Mine celebrate that I've been able to be a mum for another yr.
Congratulations to your wonderful achievement! Wear your birthday button proudly! (and many more to come!)

We are going in November 2015 for my oldest's 8th birthday...in September. I'm also turning 40 in sept and may wear a pin that says as much. Do your worst, I'll get a free cupcake and so will dd. Disney may file chapter 11 after we leave. Apologies.

After all the dozens and dozens of posts on here with people adamantly arguing that button wearing has NOTHING to do with attention or freebies...this post is kind of perfect.

After all the dozens and dozens of posts on here with people adamantly arguing that button wearing has NOTHING to do with attention or freebies...this post is kind of perfect.

No one ever said that there weren't *any* people who wore them for attention or freebies. That some do doesn't mean all do. :confused3

I don't see the harm, particularly if they only extend a warm "Happy birthday". If this was his birthday gift, then go ahead and celebrate when you can.

:
Originally Posted by Pixiedustaway View Post
We are going in November 2015 for my oldest's 8th birthday...in September. I'm also turning 40 in sept and may wear a pin that says as much. Do your worst, I'll get a free cupcake and so will dd. Disney may file chapter 11 after we leave. Apologies.

Just like the many others that say they are not looking for anything for free.

Looking at this thread is more of indictment on society (as some have attempted to say wearing a button is the demise of all social protocols, civility and common decency) than the button issue. I feel like I am reading about the liberals and conservatives arguing over any number of issues some even less important than a Birthday Button!

I will use 2 personal experiences that I'm sure will add fuel to those who want to chastise all who don't fit their model of an appropriate Disney Guest.

1- We were at Disney this past XMAS. My Daughter wore her B-Day pin to dinner. Our waiter was very engaging, and asked at one point if "Today" was her actual Birthday. We said yes and at the end of the meal he and other cast members came out and sang and gave her a cupcake. We thought it was great because of the "fun" embarrassment. We did not ask for anything we did not expect anything, it was a Cast Member spreading a little bit of magic.

Oh by the way it was really her Birthday, if it wasn't but we were celebrating that day I would have told the cast member no but we are celebrating, with ZERO expectations of gifts, prizes, or mounds of cupcakes.

2- Last year we went to Disney World to celebrate our Anniversary, that was our gift to each other. During our stay we selected a day to celebrate because we could not go on our Anniversary, we had dinner we wore our pins and we had a great time. We did not wear pins to get anything free. Did we get a few congratulations, yes we did. :offtopic: Recognizing marriage and celebrating the importance it might be beneficial to those line jumpers and the demise of society that some in this thread are worried about. ;)

I think Disney may have figured out that if they can get people to think that Disney World is the place to celebrate a life's event...just maybe they might make back the money from the pin.

So for all the crotchety keep off my grass people that is perfectly fine and your right to feel that way, you and your manicured lawn will enjoy each other. I choose to enjoy myself, not cut in line, to allow little kids and their families to stand in front of me for parades or fireworks (even though I was there first), to wish a person happy birthday, to smile, to thank people for their random acts of kindness and try not to judge every little act of people that I will never see again.

Nobody said that, and if they did they were wrong...what was said is that wearing the button does not GUARANTEE freebies. About the only thing you are guaranteed to get is well wishes.

So is someone actually arguing that a birthday is "not that special?" What about a wedding anniversary? Folks who are not married sometimes probably won't think THAT's all too special. Good grief, if it's special to you why can't you go to WDW and say that it's special.

Not equating them at all, or suggesting that we had seen any in this thread. Much as you would say that we should not worry about running out of oil because we can rely on solar and wind power, I joked that we should worry about running out of well wishes because we have an endless supply of vulgar insults. I think, on the whole, this thread has been quite mild given the surprisingly intense feelings on the subject. I think even people arguing in this thread could still come together if necessary to attack the real enemy: pool hoppers.

Thank you for clarifying. :). I was a little abrupt and I apologize.

But you're wrong. The real enemy is people who let their 7yos use a stroller. (Oh jeez. I've done that. I'm the enemy! Oh no!!!!)

So for all the crotchety keep off my grass people that is perfectly fine and your right to feel that way, you and your manicured lawn will enjoy each other. I choose to enjoy myself, not cut in line, to allow little kids and their families to stand in front of me for parades or fireworks (even though I was there first), to wish a person happy birthday, to smile, to thank people for their random acts of kindness and try not to judge every little act of people that I will never see again.

Amen.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I've seen enough of the people mentioned here in pages upon pages of other threads today.

Fight the crotcheties!

Well that went sideways fast, lol! We celebrated our youngest's 1st birthday a few weeks early, in the year of celebrations, as my husband deployed to Afghanistan 2 days after our last minute Disney trip, missing his actual birthday. The baby only wore the button at dinner, we bought a Mickey Cake, but did have wonderful character interaction at Garden Grill to celebrate...
In 2010 and 11 my husband spent his birthdays in Afghanistan. In 2012 he missed the whole month training and then readying to deploy, and 2013 he again missed his birthday being in Afghanistan. The kids were upset to miss his birthday 4 years in a row!! So we planned a trip in 2014 and spent his actual birthday at MK (for MNSSHP). He wore the button that day, the kids were thrilled, he was embarrassed. I bought a Haunted Mansion themed cake at dinner at Crystal Palace, and have to say I was a bit taken a back when our server asked if it was "really" his birthday. So clearly the over celebrating by everyone has an impact...
We'll be in the world on our 20th Anniv soon, not sure how I feel about buttons/celebrating now...
I had hoped to plan a trip back in May for my 40th, but with school/work schedules it won't be on the day. I'll still consider it my "May the 40th Be With You" trip (Star Wars Weekend), but I think I need my own custom pin now!

Sorry, but I don't see it this way. It's one thing if you happen to be at WDW on your actual birthday, but if you are celebrating weeks or months away from that actual date, you are not celebrating your birthday -- you are celebrating the mere fact that you have a birthday, which makes you exactly the same as everyone else in the park. How does that validate wearing a tiara?

If you want to wear a tiara to celebrate being at WDW, I say go for it. But pretending you are having a "special" day so people will treat you in a special way is, in my view, a violation of the social contract. Even when kids do it with the explicit permission and cooperation of their parents. Even an actual birthday isn't really all that special, but at least it is relatively rare (once per year). If every day is everyone's birthday, who cares?

I think the entire WDW experience would be better for everyone if there were fewer people there working hard to convince themselves they are more special than the people around them.

I disagree. You are not celebrating the mere fact that you HAVE a birthday. You are celebrating that the trip was taken in celebration of your birthday. If you're someone who has a birthday that falls during a peak season, (4th of July, Christmas, etc.) it might be too expensive with the hiked rates to go during the actual time of your birthday, so it might be for economical to celebrate a month or two later when the rates are cheaper. Also, often times people are surprised with a trip to Disney on their birthday as a gift, and the trip might not take place until next month. Disney is all about feeling good- who cares if you wish someone a happy birthday in February but it was actually on New Year's Eve? I certainly don't! :)

Just like the many others that say they are not looking for anything for free.

Looking at this thread is more of indictment on society (as some have attempted to say wearing a button is the demise of all social protocols, civility and common decency) than the button issue. I feel like I am reading about the liberals and conservatives arguing over any number of issues some even less important than a Birthday Button!

I will use 2 personal experiences that I'm sure will add fuel to those who want to chastise all who don't fit their model of an appropriate Disney Guest.

1- We were at Disney this past XMAS. My Daughter wore her B-Day pin to dinner. Our waiter was very engaging, and asked at one point if "Today" was her actual Birthday. We said yes and at the end of the meal he and other cast members came out and sang and gave her a cupcake. We thought it was great because of the "fun" embarrassment. We did not ask for anything we did not expect anything, it was a Cast Member spreading a little bit of magic.

Oh by the way it was really her Birthday, if it wasn't but we were celebrating that day I would have told the cast member no but we are celebrating, with ZERO expectations of gifts, prizes, or mounds of cupcakes.

2- Last year we went to Disney World to celebrate our Anniversary, that was our gift to each other. During our stay we selected a day to celebrate because we could not go on our Anniversary, we had dinner we wore our pins and we had a great time. We did not wear pins to get anything free. Did we get a few congratulations, yes we did. :offtopic: Recognizing marriage and celebrating the importance it might be beneficial to those line jumpers and the demise of society that some in this thread are worried about. ;)

I think Disney may have figured out that if they can get people to think that Disney World is the place to celebrate a life's event...just maybe they might make back the money from the pin.

Well said!!! I think it's fun to celebrate a birthday in Disney! We went for my youngest's 3rd birthday!! She move loved the happy birthdays!!! Then the cupcakes.

Both my daughter and my birthday are in march and there is never a school vacation that overlaps with our birthdays. I've been given a trip to Disney as a birthday present when younger, and I've given one to my daughter. I had no problem with her wearing a birthday pin in WDW as the summer trip was part of her birthday celebration, even if we couldn't be there on her birth date. She wasn't going to miss out on what a birthday at WDW had to offer because school didn't allow a trip at the same time.

I'd feel the same about an anniversary trip. I've seen a few extended family reunion/50th anniversaries at disney. For anyone that can get everyone together when everyone doesn't have school or other commitments, I commend you. Shifting the celebration when the entire family can be there, absolutely wear your anniversary pin on the wrong date and celebrate.

I went on my birthday a few years ago and got nothing for free.

This year I am going in December to celebrate my "Dirty 30" the kicker was my 30th birthday was last Oct. I had a baby 2 days before my birthday last year and couldn't have my trip. I don't plan on wearing anything this time cause I have to admit "Happy Birthday Princess" got a little annoying by the end of the day when your family makes you wear the Birthday pin and ears all day long.

So - we were due to leave for WDW next Friday, but my husband needs unexpected surgery, so we have rescheduled to March. We would have been there on the day of my birthday (and much more importantly), my son's 8th birthday. Is it frowned upon if we celebrate his birthday during our March trip - button, etc.?

Absolutely not. Celebrate anything at any time.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel special. Feeling special doesn't mean you think you are better than any one else and it doesn't mean you have some unhealthy need to be appreciated.

I would feel differently if someone went to WDW every week wearing a Birthday button so they could get attention or maybe a cupcake at dinner, but I see nothing wrong with someone celebrating a Birthday on a day that is not their actual birthday. Especially if their actual birthday falls on a date that they couldn't possibly visit WDW.

A few years ago, our WDW vacation ended a week before my actual birthday. So, I chose a single day during my vacation that I wore a button and we celebrated my birthday.
Well you are an evil liar according to certain folks here! ; )

Yeah, sometimes people don't like having mirrors held up to them. Since I am the one whose opinion is in the minority here, I will do the American thing and allow myself to be shouted into silence. It's enough to know that when you are wandering around wearing your "look at me, I'm special" button, at least some other people are silently judging you and I might even be one of them. I hope that in no way diminishes the joy you get from falsely declaring your birthday.
So folks that do this, in your opinion, are liars. Have you never lied? Fibbed? Told an untruth? If your answer is yes, please post a picture of your glass house for verification.

We are going in August and i will be wearing a birthday button even though my birthday was in May. We are celebrating my 30th birthday and we are calling it the 'Year of 30'. August is the only time we can visit as my mum works in a school and I couldn't afford to go until then as I needed to save up for flights from the uk. We have had a pretty crappy year so we are using this as a reason to celebrate and smile, so if you see a short English girl wearing a birthday button in August; come and say Hi :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter