CDC says Cruises can start in July

Status
Not open for further replies.
But overall I agree with you. If everyone is fully vaccinated, wearing the mask whether indoor or outdoor should be a personal choice, especially since there will be reduced capacity, social distancing and other health measures.

I've been cautious and pro-mask from the get-go. We ordered them before everything went crazy, and you couldn't find anything. I've followed the rules with no objections, and generally would rather err on the side of safety because it isn't a huge deal to me if I have to wear a mask for a bit. Minor inconvenience and all that. I say that as preface to saying I absolutely agree with you here. I would have zero problem sailing on a fully vaccinated ship. Even if there were breakthrough cases, your chances of catching it from other vaccinated people AND then getting even close to severely ill are super, super small. I wish the CDC was a bit better about messaging how vaccination can get us back to something really close to normal, but things like their rules for cruise ships do not help that argument. Time will tell. Hopefully, we will be back to something approaching pre-pandemic times by next summer.

Does anyone know what happens when the conditional sail order ends Nov 1? Will cruise lines be able to make their own mitigation rules like other businesses?

They can’t control private island because they’re in another country...

But overall I agree with you. If everyone is fully vaccinated, wearing the mask whether indoor or outdoor should be a personal choice, especially since there will be reduced capacity, social distancing and other health measures.
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought I saw somewhere that masks would be part of the island experience, as well, as part of the "port bubble" required to sail. I can't imagine the CC5K (or anything, tbh) in an outdoor setting where everyone is vaccinated.

Does anyone know what happens when the conditional sail order ends Nov 1? Will cruise lines be able to make their own mitigation rules like other businesses?
So long as it isn't extended, yes. Also, the CSO can be essentially voided if the CDC doesn't renew the current state of health emergency. That's a long shot, probably, as their effective stranglehold on the cruise industry isn't going away that easy.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought I saw somewhere that masks would be part of the island experience, as well, as part of the "port bubble" required to sail. I can't imagine the CC5K (or anything, tbh) in an outdoor setting where everyone is vaccinated.
I’m not 100% sure, but my understanding is that the CDC asserts that it can regulate operations of private islands that are just effectively an extension of a cruise ship that operates from a US port (e.g. mostly the same staff, no non-cruise guests, etc.). I think alternative of treating them as truly foreign ports is worse because of the testing/quarantine/whatever requirements for passengers and crew re-boarding at a foreign port.

private islands are really a bridge too far and shouldn’t be required
The Bahamas mask mandate applies to Castaway Cay. Bahamian rules about unvaccinated travelers (testing timelines) would also apply.

Which is to say DCL would have to be able to provide test results or proof of vaccination to the Bahamian government for any passengers.

. I think alternative of treating them as truly foreign ports is worse because of the testing/quarantine/whatever requirements for passengers and crew re-boarding at a foreign port.

Legally (hi PVSA) they are foreign ports and subject to local rule. So even if the CDC treats them in a specific way, it won't remove Bahamian requirements.

The Bahamas mask mandate applies to Castaway Cay. Bahamian rules about unvaccinated travelers (testing timelines) would also apply.

Which is to say DCL would have to be able to provide test results or proof of vaccination to the Bahamian government for any passengers.

Legally (hi PVSA) they are foreign ports and subject to local rule. So even if the CDC treats them in a specific way, it won't remove Bahamian requirements.
Of course. My response was in respect to the CDC and the guidance update from them. Admittedly, I am not aware of what the Bahamas requires of a fully vaccinated group of a couple thousand people visiting a leased beach and associated amenities that has restricted access. I'm assuming the Bahamian gov't would work with the lines that use those islands so that people could enjoy the tiki bar or sunbathe sans mask, though.

No harm, and I hope this isn't coming across as too snarky. My frustration really lies with the CDC on this one and I temporarily glanced past the foreign authority.

My understanding is that the reason they are talking about masks on Castaway Cay is because the Bahamas want people to wear masks.

Its not him it’s the CDC.
That's merely your opinion. Many cruise lines have been calling for fully vaccinated passengers for some time as part of their plan to resume operations. While cruise lines want to resume operations, they also don't want to deal with COVID cases on board either, and ensuring that all passengers are vaccinated goes as far as possible to meeting that goal. The third sentence is my opinion; the second is not.

And Norwegian is not just threatening to leave Florida, but the US ports altogether and make home ports in the Caribbean. Florida is only part of their problem. The CDC is making it impossible to sail right now. And even if they wanted to go to another state, what state will take them that will allow vaccine passports? Georgia, TX, and SC all have governors that are not friendly to the idea of vaccine passports. Other states up the eastern seaboard likely don’t want cruise ships flooding their ports during a pandemic.

Texas' mandate is worthless unless you get money from the state. All they can do is withhold money.

That's merely your opinion. Many cruise lines have been calling for fully vaccinated passengers for some time as part of their plan to resume operations. While cruise lines want to resume operations, they also don't want to deal with COVID cases on board either, and ensuring that all passengers are vaccinated goes as far as possible to meeting that goal. The third sentence is my opinion; the second is not.
It's not my opinion. It's a fact. It's the CDC that has kept cruises shut down over the last year not the Governor of Florida. Vaccines don't change anything.

It's not my opinion. It's a fact. It's the CDC that has kept cruises shut down over the last year not the Governor of Florida. Vaccines don't change anything.
Agree to disagree. Both the CDC an the Governor share blame here.

Is there something the CDC can change that will make it easier for ships to start earlier? Of course! I don't think anyone here would deny that.

Is there something the Governor can do that will make it easier for ships to start earlier? Absolutely! Give up on the vaccine requirement restriction for cruise ships.

The undeniable fact is both of them can (not saying WILL, but CAN) do things to make it easier, and thus both share responsibility in being part of the problem. This isn't either/or. One doesn't have to be the good guy while the other is the bad guy.

Not really. NCL stated only at the end of March that they would mandate vaccines when they restart. Disney and Royal Caribbean have not said anything other than complying with what local authorities demand in places they are doing cruises to nowhere. And Carnival has hinted they are not necessarily in favor of mandated vaccines if it's not required in other areas of the tourism industry.

So no, the cruise lines are not very united right now. Most seem to be waiting to see how things play out. NCL is the only major line putting out demands for vaccines and making public threats of pulling out of ports. And that doesn't surprise me since they are likely the one in the most financial trouble. I'm not even sure how they are still in operation to be honest. They were not doing good even before the pandemic.

Ultimately if NCL wants to leave Florida or leave the US.... goodbye. I assure you that DeSantis won't be the one who flinches here.

I agree with above poster about NCL. The only thing they are threatening is their own bankruptcy.

I have three cruises booked next year, Carnival, Royal, and Disney. My Royal cruise is out of Rome with stops in Greece and Isreal. If I have to vaccinate for that cruise I'll do it. I will not sail on any cruise out of the U.S that mandates vaccines. I'm not worried about the vaccine as much as I am about the mandates and the precedence that sets. I have no choice when I go to another country, but there are plenty of places to vacation in the U.S that don't require a vaccine.

Agree to disagree. Both the CDC an the Governor share blame here.

Is there something the CDC can change that will make it easier for ships to start earlier? Of course! I don't think anyone here would deny that.

Is there something the Governor can do that will make it easier for ships to start earlier? Absolutely! Give up on the vaccine requirement restriction for cruise ships.

The undeniable fact is both of them can (not saying WILL, but CAN) do things to make it easier, and thus both share responsibility in being part of the problem. This isn't either/or. One doesn't have to be the good guy while the other is the bad guy.

No, it’s not the governors fault. Maybe you don’t like Desantis, but it’s not his fault cruise ships haven’t sailed this year or last year, it’s the CDC.

If you can blame Desantis, then that means he can declare all cruises can resume from Florida, all mitigation techniques and rules are up to each cruise line. He can’t, because the CDC would shut it down.

I have no choice when I go to another country, but there are plenty of places to vacation in the U.S that don't require a vaccine.
What if the reason for requiring a vaccine (any vaccine) to take a cruise (out of a US port) was because one of the (foreign) ports it visits requires that vaccination? Would you take that cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter