CC: Gettting child in wheelchair to Pelican Plunge area

twinmum

DIS Veteran
One of our sons uses a wheelchair, and we're wondering about the best way to transport him over to the beach area near Pelican Plunge. This is our second time to CC. the first time we stayed on the family beach near the stingray bay, but this time our other son would like to be closer to pelican plunge. We pushed our son in his w/c to where they keep the sandchairs and transferred to one of those. It was brutal to push, and our son did not enjoy the experience.

Is there any way to get him (and his own w/c) to the Pelican Plunge area? Can the tram accommodate a w/c? We also saw golf carts last year but heard people complaining about the wait.

Any suggestions to get this eager 13 year old to the beach?

One of our sons uses a wheelchair, and we're wondering about the best way to transport him over to the beach area near Pelican Plunge. This is our second time to CC. the first time we stayed on the family beach near the stingray bay, but this time our other son would like to be closer to pelican plunge. We pushed our son in his w/c to where they keep the sandchairs and transferred to one of those. It was brutal to push, and our son did not enjoy the experience.

Is there any way to get him (and his own w/c) to the Pelican Plunge area? Can the tram accommodate a w/c? We also saw golf carts last year but heard people complaining about the wait.

Any suggestions to get this eager 13 year old to the beach?

IIRC, they have beach/sand wheelchairs for use on the island, but I have read in the past that they are not easy to push. Check with guest services onboard, I'm sure they can assist you in getting to where you want to be.

I have seen personal wheelchairs folded up and put on the tram. In each tram car there is a wider seating area marked handicapped. As long as you can move your son from his chair to the tram you can fold up his wheelchair and put it on the tram with you. One of the tram stops is near PP.

It seems everytime I go on tram (the last 3 cruises) the tram stops have been different (rotation of stops). Just make sure you ask a CM on that day for assistance and I am sure they will get you one of the handicapped seats that will allow space for the wheelchair.

MJ

I was physically unable to push the beach wheelchair on our friend's cruise.

Your options are to push the chair along the paved path or to take the tram. The CMs will assist you in getting the chair on and off the tram and they have a ramp thing that allowed my friend to get on and transfer to a tram seat.

The golf cart service is provided for some levels of concierge guests, but as you noted, there are very few carts and they are also used for CM supervisors who need to get around quickly.

In any event, you still have the issue of getting from the paved path to as far into the beach as he'd like to go. Not sure how you would handle this.

One warning--if you are on the Magic or Wonder and they close the big doors to Shutters and put up the detour sign DO NOT go outside to do the "detour." Take the elevator to another floor and go thru. We/I had no issues getting the chair off at the door by Shutters, but the doors where we were supposed to come back in had a deep threshold. I was unable to get the chair over it using every trick my friend knew. 2 of the yellow jumpsuit maintenance guys lifted friend and chair into the ship for us. I should add that my friend is a small woman; this was not a weight issue. This was the only place/time we had an accessibility issue on the ship.

I too am looking for the same info. My DD is 18 and uses a w/c too. We do go to the beach alot and its always a challenge for sure. I hope to get close to PP as well. This is our 1st cruise. So, excited!

I have seen personal wheelchairs folded up and put on the tram. In each tram car there is a wider seating area marked handicapped. As long as you can move your son from his chair to the tram you can fold up his wheelchair and put it on the tram with you. One of the tram stops is near PP.

It seems everytime I go on tram (the last 3 cruises) the tram stops have been different (rotation of stops). Just make sure you ask a CM on that day for assistance and I am sure they will get you one of the handicapped seats that will allow space for the wheelchair.

MJ

Seem to recall that At least some of the trams - have wheelchair ramp, so no transfer is required.

We were just at CC in February. As others mentioned previously, the front seats in the tram cars are for wheelchairs.

One of the tram stops is actually at PP. I think it is the second or thrd stop. They will actually announce it as the PP stop. There is a paved walkway that goes from the tram stop to within about 20 to 50 feet of the PP enterence.

There are a few choices of directions you could head at that point to set up your beech chairs, etc... And still be in close proximity of PP.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter