Caught something, Not exactly sure now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
So it took me a few days after We got home to pinpoint where I possibly contracted Cholera (edited: not Cholera as I am alive and kicking) while visiting Disney last week and I am not blaming any one place, server or food preparer, I did narrow it down to what day and where it started. Wednesday 4/24 we took a resort day. We all ate breakfast at the CL Lounge at AKL. We headed to the pool from 10:00 till around 2:00. All showered and headed to Disney Springs arriving around 4:00. We were walking around, shopping etc. and my girls said they wanted to go on the aquacars at the Boat House. So we had an amazing time on the ride! It was one of the coolest things we did and a first for all 4 of us. After the ride my wife suggested we go to the bar and have a drink. I ordered some Truffle Fries and she ordered Oysters and we all 4 had drinks. Me and the girls shared the fries. We were watching an employee shuck some shrimp and they looked so good and were huge! My wife commented on them and I asked how much a half dozen were and the bar tender stated they we $4 each. The employee cleaning them set 2 on my wifes plate and said "on the house" well, she said I could have them and of course I'm not going to refuse! I will say, they were so good! My 7 year old daughter wanted to try one so she took one bite and gave it back so she had 1/4th and I had the other 3/4 plus one whole shrimp. While we were sitting there finishing up our drinks my wife nodded to the worker that was prepping the shrimp. He was wearing gloves but he took our plates, wiped them off them stored them under the bar, wiped out a stainless rectangle bin, rubbed his nose and went back to prepping the shrimp and never changed his gloves. The shrimp he gave us never left the prep table so they were never washed after handling them. I brushed it off so we finished up and left. We headed over to The Void, did star wars and after that we were walking around and we stopped in the watch store. I was looking at a new Tag Heuer watch and it hit me like a ton of bricks.I had to get to a bathroom fast! I barely made it and satan himself came out of me with a fury. Not vomit, from the other end. We got back to the resort and it hit again. In fact, it hit every 30 min or so till I fell asleep that night. The next morning I was fine till I ate. 15 min after straight to the bathroom. Rinse and repeat Friday, Saturday and even Sunday when we left. I was really worried because there was also blood which is not good. Also with all the diarrhea was stomach cramps right after I ate anything and my temp was 94.5 degrees. My daughter also had diarrhea but it only lasted a day. I guess being younger and having a stronger immune system helped her. I had contracted (whatever this is) and I can be 100% sure this is what I had about 10 years ago and the Dr. visit was a waste since I was told I had to let it run its course. My best guess is it came from the improper handled shrimp. We all ate at the lounge together and all had the same foods. My wife and DD5 didn't touch the shrimp, just me and DD7. Me, DD7 and DD4 ate the fries. Fortunately today I am all good but it really put a damper on half of our vacation.

Last edited:
Just FYI Cholera needs a stool sample to be diagnosed and is not intermittent. Still...sorry for your experience!

Oh my goodness! That is terrible. So sorry some of your vacation was messed up. Glad your feeling better.

Just FYI Cholera needs a stool sample to be diagnosed and is not intermittent. Still...sorry for your experience!

10 years ago I had this exact thing. ER dr told me it was Cholera but we all know medicine is a practice. Just going on experience of having whatever this is before. I do know it only affected me when I ate and the good news is I got to visit a lot of Disney bathrooms so now I know my favorites:)

Yeah as PP said that sounds like run of the mill gastroenteritis not Cholera. As a doctor I’ve seen cholera it can kill within hours.
Editing original post.... I just googled Cholera and I’m not dead but for some reason that name is sticking with me. 10 years ago I swear that’s what I was told but maybe something with a similar name. Who knows, I’m just grateful it didn’t ruin our trip and I’m doing way better now.

Not to stir the pot, but my family was at WDW from 4/17 - 4/27 and my DD ended up with a bit of gastroenteritis as well. Cramps and diarrhea for several days. It didn't really affect the trip except that she was eating less than usual and taking lots of potty rides.

Anyway, if you've ever seen "stomach flu" tear through a school or workplace, you know it's not necessarily food borne, but can spread through touching contaminated surfaces - doorknobs, railings, etc. I imagine at any given time, there's always a few sick guests (like my daughter and OP) just spreading the germs around for the next batch of victims.

Oh yeah...it was definitely those "shucked" shrimp.

If he had peeled them like normal people, you would have been just fine.

:teeth:

I just googled Cholera and I’m not dead but for some reason that name is sticking with me. 10 years ago I swear that’s what I was told but maybe something with a similar name.

Cholera is caused by Vibrio cholerae but there is an entire family of Vibrio bacteria which can cause short-term gastroenteritis (including stomach cramps and blood in the stool), that usually come from eating undercooked or raw seafood, especially shellfish. It can be just as serious as getting cholera or can be much milder. Maybe the last time you had it or something similar it was described as having been caused by something from the same family as cholera and that's why it sticks in your head. But, FYI, just because you're alive, it doesn't mean it wasn't cholera this time or last time. Not everyone dies from it but it can require hospitalization, antibiotics and serious rehydration. I can't imagine your doctor just saying to wait it out if they thought it was cholera and not just something from the same family.

You could've picked that bug up anywhere, I wouldn't assume it was the shrimp. In fact, it seems like not enough time had passed from when you ate it until your symptoms for it to be that? Who knows, and I suppose it doesn't really matter. It sucks that it happened at all and that it put a damper on several days of your vacation, I'm sorry for that.

You could've picked that bug up anywhere, I wouldn't assume it was the shrimp. In fact, it seems like not enough time had passed from when you ate it until your symptoms for it to be that? Who knows, and I suppose it doesn't really matter. It sucks that it happened at all and that it put a damper on several days of your vacation, I'm sorry for that.

Actually, diarrhetic shellfish poisoning symptoms may begin as soon as 30 minutes after consumption. This is much different than other types of food-borne illnesses, which can take a day (or several) to become symptomatic. It is caused by toxins in microplankton that the shellfish ingest. It's more common with filter feeders like clams, oysters, etc., but shrimp and other crustaceans can be carriers.

Because it is caused by a toxin (okadaic acid) in the microplankton they consume, and not from a virus or bacteria, it can't be destroyed by freezing or cooking. It also has nothing to do with freshness, so it can't be detected by smell/taste.

Luckily, this type of food poisoning has a short duration (hours, not days, generally). I've had it a few times--once from scallops in a very "memorable" and fast way.

There are other types of shellfish poisoning which can be much more serious, however. But it hasn't stopped me from eating it!

Actually, diarrhetic shellfish poisoning symptoms may begin as soon as 30 minutes after consumption. This is much different than other types of food-borne illnesses, which can take a day (or several) to become symptomatic. It is caused by toxins in microplankton that the shellfish ingest. It's more common with filter feeders like clams, oysters, etc., but shrimp and other crustaceans can be carriers.

Because it is caused by a toxin (okadaic acid) in the microplankton they consume, and not from a virus or bacteria, it can't be destroyed by freezing or cooking. It also has nothing to do with freshness, so it can't be detected by smell/taste.

Luckily, this type of food poisoning has a short duration (hours, not days, generally). I've had it a few times--once from scallops in a very "memorable" and fast way.

There are other types of shellfish poisoning which can be much more serious, however. But it hasn't stopped me from eating it!

Thank you for providing a scientific reason for why I avoid shellfish. :rotfl:

Seriously though, great info and filing that in my "I learned something new today" folder.

Thank you for providing a scientific reason for why I avoid shellfish. :rotfl:

Seriously though, great info and filing that in my "I learned something new today" folder.

Happy to help!

My personal favorite is amnesic shellfish poisoning, but neurotoxic SP and paralytic SP are tons-o-fun, too. These make a few explosive, unplanned rest stops caused by diarrhetic SP seem quaint by comparison.

The worst food poisoning I ever had was not from shellfish, but likely from diced tomatoes that had been cross-contaminated by an unwashed "raw chicken knife." I was sick for almost 2 weeks and went from skinny to skeletal (6'2" and 118 lbs was not a good look for a young man). That was 30 years ago and restaurants have become much more diligent about food handling safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter