Catchy Title with Lots of Exclamation Points Here!!! A 14 year Trip Report

epcot.jpg

Another "only in 2000" picture!

This was when my poor little point and shoot couldn't figure out the year 2000 and started printing 1994 on everything.

And iconography was so hot, they just had to keep something up there with that giant arm... and there it stayed for way too long.

epcot1_filtered.jpg

btw, I thought maybe we were being wussy about the chill in the air, what with those folks standing to the right in shorts. But I notice the only other people in the picture are also in hats and jackets, so I'm going to chalk shorts-people up to northerners who were laughing at the rest of us.

I was really excited to see it back to the clean geosphere, finally, in 2008.

IMG_8055hdr.jpg

Nicholas was a ball of energy as a toddler. He never, ever sat still.

I was certain, at Thanksgiving 1995, when we went to see Toy Story in the theater that I'd chasing him in the back of the theater after 15 minutes.

He wasn't quite 3. And he did not move a muscle the entire film.

Thus began the Toy Story Mania around our house. We had to go to Burger King after the movie and get the toys. For Christmas, it was all Woody and Buzz. When he opened the talking Buzz Lightyear, he shouted up at he Santa tree topper, "Thank you Santa Claus!!!" His birthday presents a few weeks later were the big talking alien, Talking Rex, Mr. Mike, Potato Head, etc.

The next year, I have him on home video singing every single soundtrack song by heart. (Does this link work for anyone?)

When the sequel came out the year before our trip, it fanned the flames some more. Meeting the characters was objective #1 at MGM. We got there at rope drop and had to wait around for the characters to come out. In the video, you can see all of the people turning to head down Sunset that morning while we were completely alone in the back.

(Video here. First two minutes.)

mgmtoystory.jpg

mgmts1.jpg

I miss those cow carts.

mgmts5.jpg

mgmts2.jpg

LzcjTdayVmdCL0fSvkPVft4gZSctqreq0caOGLPd0OAD=w366-h219-p-no

mgmts4.jpg

Sadly, the Jessie and Bulleye negatives didn't make it to digitization, so I'm stuck with the scans of the old scrapbooks. Naturally, back then, the thing was to cut around the pictures and do all kinds of silly stuff to them. Sigh.

tsbullseyeb2000.jpg

tsbullseye200.jpg

tsjessie2000.jpg

tsjessieb2000.jpg

And I wish they still had the old spaceship box out for comparisons!

mgmsamts.jpg

(2004, last time it was there)

100_1877.JPG

I think next time, we are going to have to stand in line for Woody and Buzz again.

Looking through the archives I notice a number of limited time and changing signs. I don't have much from 2000, other than this MVMCP banner

mvmcp.jpg

but here's a few throwbacks from the other trips.

2002: 100 Years of Magic

100years_filtered.jpg

mkentry_filtered.jpg

mgm21_filtered.jpg

dd7_filtered.jpg

(this was changed to Happy Holidays)

mk15_filtered.jpg

And the old Stars and Motorcars can like it did all year long

mgm22_filtered.jpg

And Stitch was new and everywhere

mgmxmas2_filtered.jpg

2004 was the Year of Magical Gatherings

and back when you could pull over and get a picture of the entry sign!

100_1516_filtered.jpg

100_1130.JPG

100_1631.JPG

100_1729.JPG

and this parade was new

100_1175.JPG

And these were where you meet the talking, blinking Mickey now

100_1737.JPG

100_1738.JPG

100_1739.JPG

100_1741.JPG

100_1742.JPG

100_1743.JPG

100_1744.JPG

100_1899_filtered.jpg

And Stars and Motorcars Parade got a Holiday Overlay

100_1281.JPG

100_1283.JPG

Spectacle of Lights was new and Stitch was still everywhere

100_1310.JPG

From 2006, although I can't remember the "theme"? Year of a Million Dreams, perhaps?

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

Back when VMK was still going!

IMG_1532.JPG

And Holiday Wishes was new

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

And this ran in the early afternoons

IMG_2203.JPG

after the snow globes were removed

IMG_2237.JPG

2008, and the blanket showing off the new castle lights, was the "with purchase" throw option

wdw08+167.jpg

And there was a new MVMCP parade

IMG_7931.JPG

wdw08+158.jpg

When the Block Party Bash was at Studios instead of Stars and Motorcars

wdw08+212.jpg

And Bolt was everywhere

bolt2008.jpg

wdw08+198.jpg

And I mean, EVERYWHERE

image056.jpg

Okay, the whole time I’m reading your trip report , I’m thinking how familiar it feels - watching kids grow up through Disney World photos. I love the whole “then and now” theme of the report. But then it got really familiar when I saw your DH’s SU sweatshirt. My daughter graduated from SU in 2012. Go Pirates! Now if your youngest decides to go to OU – we’re really going to be leading parallel lives. :)

Okay, the whole time I’m reading your trip report , I’m thinking how familiar it feels - watching kids grow up through Disney World photos. I love the whole “then and now” theme of the report. But then it got really familiar when I saw your DH’s SU sweatshirt. My daughter graduated from SU in 2012. Go Pirates! Now if your youngest decides to go to OU – we’re really going to be leading parallel lives. :)

Close! She's going to SOU (Southern Oregon)

My son started at SU in the Fall of 2012!

In 2002, when the table service bug bit and we made a point to ask our CMs to get into the pictures with us. They always seemed so surprised, especially the girls who were serving at the Princess breakfasts. We told them we thought they were princesses, too!

epcotlecellier2_filtered.jpg

epcotprincess1_filtered.jpg

ltwaitress_filtered.jpg

mkpb4_filtered.jpg

ak5_filtered.jpg

(ok, we didn't tell our Safari driver he was a princess...);)

Our -A- Character Comparisons, or single-time only meetings

aladcompare.jpg

alice02.jpg

Alice technically wasn't a single time. We met her in 2000 at breakfast at the Grand Floridian but our camera malfunctioned and we lost it.

arielcompare.jpg

auroracompare.jpg

About those nametags...

Those nametags are guarded fiercely by me until we return to WDW. Once everyone has theirs, they know they will break their poor mother's heart should anything happen to them, so they pin them very carefully and check the integrity of the pin each and every time. I bought them through some service that would get them engraved and have them waiting in our room on that first trip in 2000. It was a surprise to everyone to check in and find it on the bed.

We've never done a trip without them and have never done a trip without people asking us about them, even in 2000 when they were still available. When we came back in 2002 only the red Mickey ones were for sale. I think by 2006 they were gone entirely.

My favorite was the rather irate guest in line who looked at them, and us, and said, a bit rudely, "Why are YOU guests of HONOR?" :rotfl:

We've never had any guest mistake us for CMs, at least to our faces, but them we never walk around alone and I would bet they figured it out this time by the giant fluffy unicorn I had strapped to my back.

We did have CMs mistake us for CMs! This trip, when Sammi was going to buy her Mike hat in AK, the CM at the kiosk said, "You'll have to take that off before I can sell this to you." and when Sam explained it, she looked closer and said, "Oh! I see!"

Our friend Jay said mine especially could be mistaken at a distance, since they are now awarding something to CMs (I forget what he said) that means a blue nametag, the same color as mine. Mine doesn't have the bump at the top, and theirs don't have Pooh Bear, so at a closer inspection, I'll not be passing for any perks as an employee.
Your nametags are very realistic. My husband and I bought ours in 2005 and they had gold-colored plating, not even close to looking like a CM tag. Even in 2005, with those cheap goldish tags we were being confused with CMs, except only by the guests. We took full advantage of this and pretended to be CMs when approached by guests who needed help. It happened a LOT during that trip.

When I returned in 2009 for a solo trip, I wore my gold-colored tag. I found out then that they didn't sell them anymore. At this point the CMs thought I was a CM, which blew me away. When I came home I told my husband to hang on to his...that these were treasured items no longer seen in Disney stores anymore. Not unlike those once-ubiquitous monorail magnets.

And about my user name...
I love my username too! Since the movie came out in 2000 and we saw it at the same month as our first trip, it seems to fit, especially since it is still one of my favorites. I used it on YouTube for a long time for our Disney trip videos, too, until Google made me merge everything.

When we went back in 2002 they'd already phased out the chance of meeting Kuzco, Kronk, or Yzma, although I've seen pictures from Paris that they are still over there. Rats.

We also tend to quote from the movie at least once a week.
I quote from it all the time. David Spade owns that movie.

The video of your kids is so adorable! Your Sammy looks like a living doll! OMG, those big eyes of hers almost look fake. It makes me sad to realize that my 6yo will be a teenager in a blink of an eye.

YThe video of your kids is so adorable! Your Sammy looks like a living doll! OMG, those big eyes of hers almost look fake. It makes me sad to realize that my 6yo will be a teenager in a blink of an eye.

Thank you! She really was a doll -- born full term at 4.5 pounds and only 12 pounds at her 1 year check up! She was walking at 7 months and they didn't make any newborn shoes with hard soles in size 0, which is all that fit her feet.

Even at age 18, she wears a little kids size 2.5 in shoes and complains loudly that she can't find grown up shoes to ever fit. I told she needs to find and marry a cobbler! :rotfl:

Her hands are also exceptionally tiny, so she took great umbrage at that Burger King commercial a couple of years back.

She was 2 (age pictured here) when we finally got a diagnosis of Russell Silver Syndrome.

IMG_0008b.jpg

I've never heard of that condition. WOW, she looks so doll-like, it's uncanny. She is SO beautiful!

I really enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing all the memories.

That was so fun!!! I have a 2 1/2 yr old and hope to go when she is older to redo some pictures :) Thanks for sharing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter