Cat question

charming23

DIS Veteran
Hello! No I want to pre-face by saying my cat does have a vet appointment Thursday morning and when I talked to the vet tech she said it was not an emergency situation. I adopted a new cat Charlie about three months ago. She is doing really well and it has just been the past couple of weeks that this incident has occurred. A couple weeks ago she was walking away for me one morning and I noticed a little bit of blood on her butt so I checked the litter box and noticed there was a little blood and some soft poop. I called the vet the vet said to just watch her, it might be a one time occurrence and that they were limiting vet appointments at the moment due to COVID-19. So I watched a be keeping good track no other occurrences happen until today I noticed the same thing again so I called the vet and we made an appointment for her Thursday morning. My question is has anybody ever dealt with this? This is the first time I’ve ever had this happen in a cat she has a clean bill of health from the shelter that I got her at I’m wondering if maybe it’s a certain food that irritates her stomach and causes it. Also wanted to add she’s acting completely normal. She is eating, drinking, and loves to play. She is about six years old according to the shelter

She will be seen by the vet but I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this. It just worries me because I love her so much and everything I went through with my cat previous to her makes me very anxious. Plus the last couple times I’ve taken a animal to the vet it’s ended up with me having to put them down so I have a little bit of mental scarring due to anxiety issues

Don't worry too much if you can help it. This can be caused by many things including reactions to certain foods, parasites, infections and even stress! It's good that you have an appointment but I wouldn't assume the worst.

Did you have her checked for intestinal parasites after you adopted her? Lots of shelter animals get parasites from the shelter, especially giardia, that can cause bloody soft stool and is really common in shelters. My cat had giardia after I adopted her and she was fine after less than a week of deworming and anti-diarrhea meds. It could just be stress or something she ate she wasn't supposed too. Hope your appointment goes well!

Yes! My cat had some soft poop and some blood Outside the litter box (right next to it). He checked out fine. They gave him an antibiotic.

She will be seen by the vet but I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this. It just worries me because I love her so much and everything I went through with my cat previous to her makes me very anxious. Plus the last couple times I’ve taken a animal to the vet it’s ended up with me having to put them down so I have a little bit of mental scarring due to anxiety issues
Is she an outdoor cat? Does her stool look otherwise normal (like tootsie rolls, but not too dry). Is she spade?

We've had a cat poop blood twice. One was a stray that had parasites and was chewing on the bum. The other was caused by a string obstruction. Other than the normal working of her estrus cycle, if she's not spayed*, there isn't and good reason for blood on the cat's back end.

* - Just to clarify, I know the cats menses isn't going to be coming out of that particular exit, but it is all kinda packed close together on a cat and someone might mistake a little blood coming from one spot as coming from the other.

Edited to add, Hope kitty turns out okay. Usually they do.

Is she an outdoor cat? Does her stool look otherwise normal (like tootsie rolls, but not too dry). Is she spade?

We've had a cat poop blood twice. One was a stray that had parasites and was chewing on the bum. The other was caused by a string obstruction. Other than the normal working of her estrus cycle, if she's not spayed*, there isn't and good reason for blood on the cat's back end.

* - Just to clarify, I know the cats menses isn't going to be coming out of that particular exit, but it is all kinda packed close together on a cat and someone might mistake a little blood coming from one spot as coming from the other.

Edited to add, Hope kitty turns out okay. Usually they do.

She is not an outdoor cat and yes she is spayed. Other than the two times she has had this soft poop everything has looked normal. I will definitely have them check her for worms I know she was given medication for that at the shelter I have her paperwork.

Thanks everyone for helping me feel better. I have a lot of issues with anxiety and this type of thing just gets to me for some reason. I know I have a good vet and she will make sure that she is OK through and through

Yep.

Stress colitis which usually resolves itself, or my vet told us that passing a lot of hair can do that also - has she been grooming a lot? Seems the hair can make tiny tears, especially if they are straining.

Yep.

Stress colitis which usually resolves itself, or my vet told us that passing a lot of hair can do that also - has she been grooming a lot? Seems the hair can make tiny tears, especially if they are straining.

she does groom a lot, she is a fluffy girl she’s actually the one in my photo. I also caught her the other day taking fur off of some cat toys and off of a bed that she had in the living room so that might be it too. I have since taken those toys and the bed away because I was afraid that that was causing her troubles. For a six-year-old cat she acts a lot like a kitten. She doesn’t let me close to her yet. Cording to the shelter she was found on the street in an area where a lot of people dump their cats when they no longer want them so they think she was dumped. She is such a sweet girl though and I just want her to be happy and healthy

Yes passing a lot of of hair does this especially if it’s red blood. Usually red blood means something irritated the gut on the way out vs something like gi bleeding.

I’m a vet. Blood in stool happens more frequently in cats and dogs and (while it should be checked as you already stated) it is not as alarming as it is in people. Intermittent soft stool and blood in stool is more alarming if accompanied by vomiting, not eating, lethargy, abdominal pain, other signs of abnormal bleeding (blood around nostrils, abnormal bruising, blood in urine, etc.) Good signs that her appetite and activity level are normal. They will probably do a physical exam and stool check (bring a stool sample from home litter box if you have one, doesnt matter if there is litter all over it). If all that checks out normally, she may need probiotics or a short course of a prescription diet for intestinal issues. Hundreds of things can cause soft stool and blood in stool, so if initial exam looks good many Try supportive therapy. If it doesn’t work or the problem resolved but then returns then further investigation is warranted. You are being a good cat parent by taking her in...a physical exam is best to start!

We've had similar issues with our cats twice. Once was simply worms, which I never realized were so easily flea-transmitted. Our cats are indoor cats but sometimes pick up the stray flea from the dog despite the fact that they're all on preventatives, and apparently that can be enough. The other never did have a clear explanation, but the vet thought it might just be passing an unusual amount of hair since that was in our fluffiest girl and around this time of year when they're all shedding copiously.

My first cat died from intestinal cancer that spread. This was over 30 years ago, but I still remember the anxiety, when the a little over 1yo Persian mix male that I adopted next, had a bloody stool. It turned out to be a food allergy. Trial and error resulted in a slightly amusing discovery that if the food cost at least double supermarket brands, no blood.
The only other time that he had bloody stools was when he got into the dog's food.
He lived over 14 years.
hth

Wanted to post an update if anyone was interested. Took her this morning they were very thorough even though I couldn’t go in as a part of the COVID-19 standards. I was actually on the phone with the vet while she gave her the exam. Nothing major is popping up in any of the test they did they did send out the stool sample for some more testing just to double check but she doesn’t think anything will come from it. They did give her a flea treatment because they did find a flea on her and I unfortunately this time of year get fleas I just hadn’t given her treatment yet. She thinks it might be from the fur in her system because she’s probably grooming more because she was itching and I did mention that she did throw up a pretty good size hairball last night.

Thank you to everyone who helped ease my mind a little bit so I didn’t go into this appointment all panicked. We are going to watch her if it continues to happen more often then she’ll do some more testing

Thank you for the update. I was a little worried about your kitty. I hope she does not have any more incidents and is totally well.

Wanted to post an update if anyone was interested. Took her this morning they were very thorough even though I couldn’t go in as a part of the COVID-19 standards. I was actually on the phone with the vet while she gave her the exam. Nothing major is popping up in any of the test they did they did send out the stool sample for some more testing just to double check but she doesn’t think anything will come from it. They did give her a flea treatment because they did find a flea on her and I unfortunately this time of year get fleas I just hadn’t given her treatment yet. She thinks it might be from the fur in her system because she’s probably grooming more because she was itching and I did mention that she did throw up a pretty good size hairball last night.

Thank you to everyone who helped ease my mind a little bit so I didn’t go into this appointment all panicked. We are going to watch her if it continues to happen more often then she’ll do some more testing

Mine gets that if she gets fleas and her skin gets irritated, whe licks a lot. With mine, the fur builds up and she gets a bit constipated. I use Cat Lax to help with that. I do not typically see bleeding, but I could imagine if passing the stool is diffiuclt that it could happen. I'm glad all the tests seem okay though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter