Cat litter stinks!

I use Fresh News recycled paper pellets. The litterboxes are in the tub of a spare bathroom and I have a large air purifier situated right outside the bathroom door that takes care of any odors that are beyond the litter’s capabilities.

Now that you mention it, he is awful at covering his poo. He scratches the plastic sides of the box, but not the litter itself. Lol, my daughter just sighs and goes over and uses the scoop to cover it when she notices him doing it.

I'm a little worried about him because he seems to lack spatial awareness--with the scratching of the sides of the litter box but not the litter inside, and he falls off of stuff easily. He just rolls off of the top of the bookshelf, like he forgot he was up high? I didn't know cats did that, I thought they were more graceful. The only animal I had that did stuff like that was our beagle and he had some brain damage from his epilepsy.

The scratching the side of the box thing isn't a biug deal - lots of cats do that. Mine does it sometimes and just leaves me a nice uncovered fresh one. They may have a reason for it, I don't know, but it's not too uncommon.

My cat is also a klutz and sometimes misses a jump. She had her tail amputated thogh and has a titanium plate in her hip - all injuries from before I got her from the Humane Society. She's not very graceful for a cat!

Now that you mention it, he is awful at covering his poo. He scratches the plastic sides of the box, but not the litter itself. Lol, my daughter just sighs and goes over and uses the scoop to cover it when she notices him doing it.

I'm a little worried about him because he seems to lack spatial awareness--with the scratching of the sides of the litter box but not the litter inside, and he falls off of stuff easily. He just rolls off of the top of the bookshelf, like he forgot he was up high? I didn't know cats did that, I thought they were more graceful. The only animal I had that did stuff like that was our beagle and he had some brain damage from his epilepsy.
One of my cats is like that. He will balance on a window ledge beautifully but then roll off the couch. He also scratches at the wall by the litter box but not the actual litter itself. He’s not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed 😆

My poor cat paws at the floor around her food dish when she's done eating but doesn't bury anything in the litter box. No idea why. We got her around a year of age after she was abandoned in an apartment.

I use tidy cats lightweight. It's worked fine for us. I did try the corn littler once. My cats hated it and it didn't clump well which was gross. My friend trained her kitten to use the toilet which is AMAZING and I wish I had time to try that. Her cat has better aim than my kid does lol

Our cat does cover his most of the time (though not always) and he'll go in and move the litter around before doing his business most of the time. But he will only paw at the plastic on the open litter box not really with the closed ones. I think with that the open one just the way he sits in it he tends to get the litter stuck in his paws more and that's irritating/funny feeling to him. If you don't already you could get a litter matt to put at the litter box that helps with tracking and might be able to get any remnants of the litter if that's an issue for the cat. Lot of things are just trial and error.

IF you're concerned at all about the balance you can do a quick vet visit, sometimes our cat jumps onto the couch or bed and didn't get enough oomph so he had to reattempt it but otherwise he's fine. If I felt like he was doing it more often because that's not his norm I'd take him in for a quick check. My in-laws have a cat that for the life of him cannot jump very high and is not very graceful but this cat is a big one like ours in stature and length but he's also fat and that contributes to him not being able to jump as high. Otherwise he's healthy. For our cat he's a dominant cat in an only cat household and he'll let you know that. We love him anyways but he's a hellion at the same time lol.

Cat's behaviors also change over time and they can take time to learn just what each cat is about. It's not always a cause for concern but understandably so in the beginning you're just learning the cat's behaviors. I wouldn't worry too much but like I said you can always take him in for quick check and you can talk with the vet on some recommendations be it litter box and size, type of litter, etc. You can also talk about the limitations of your house.

We use tidy cat free and clear with charcoal. We have 3 cats and 3 boxes. They are in the basement so not in our main living area. I think the tidy cat does a pretty good job at controlling the odor.
Yup that's what I use and am proud to say that unless you A see my cat or be scoop the box you would not know that I had a cat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter