Castmembers Calling Everyone "Friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all need to tone down the name-calling and internet psychoanalysis of other posters. There's a difference between "not liking" something and "flipping out" over it, getting bent out of shape or annoyed. There are offensive words that I wouldn't "flip out over" even if a stranger directed them at me. I would be more than annoyed by it but would chalk it up to ignorance. The word "Friend" has very personal meaning to me. I wouldn't like it if someone I don't know addressed me in that manner. That doesn't mean that I would flip out on them or let it ruin my day.

Why not just go with "Guests" all the time-that seems the way to go that would be "acceptable" to everyone.

Personally I have heard "Guys" used the most over the years.
Guests sounds more formal, Disney wants people relaxed. Guys is not gonna work going forward as it’s not gender inclusive and Disney is really trying to work on that.

So friend it is at Disney, yes I’m not their Friend but I’m not other strangers Sweetie, Honey, Hun or Dear, despite the fact that society says I should accept being called that. (I do find it funny that Disney is calling people Friend as the only people who ever call me Friend in real life are just trying to sell me something 😆 )

Why gender neutral? Here me out.. I'm not harshing on anyone who prefers gender neutral language. But why stop at language? I have celiac disease so why isn't all of the food dietary-need neutral? Like everything made to match my diet? I'm also a type 1 diabetic so let's also replace all of the sugary carb-loaded snacks with low-carb snacks. I'm mentioning this in jest of course. But seriously, where does it end?
Oh and being called "friend" does not bother me. I doubt I would have noticed if it weren't for this thread. Just thought since it is 4 pages long I would help to make it longer lol

Better than a co-worker calling everyone "dude".... LOL
Oooh that's not going to bode well for Crush :)

Friend = safe, stranger = danger?
Either way it's weird because it's already a word that describes a specific relationship that my family surely doesn't have with cast members. Reminds me of a slimy salesman tactic to get in with people and as soon as CM used that I would turn distrustful.
What's the collective word for a group of WDW guests - welcome Dreamers? (ugh, that's actually awful)
Agree, it reminds me of a revival tent preacher or something like that. I'm certainly less offended by all the usual vernacular such as sir, dude, mister, fella, bud, jack, bubba, honey, sweetie, etc than a perfect stranger referring to me as friend regardless of whether they are a CM. Quite honestly, if I have a customer service issue and a CM starts calling me friend because they are trying to be PC....that would just irritate me more.

Last edited:
Why gender neutral? Here me out.. I'm not harshing on anyone who prefers gender neutral language. But why stop at language? I have celiac disease so why isn't all of the food dietary-need neutral? Like everything made to match my diet? I'm also a type 1 diabetic so let's also replace all of the sugary carb-loaded snacks with low-carb snacks. I'm mentioning this in jest of course. But seriously, where does it end?
Oh and being called "friend" does not bother me. I doubt I would have noticed if it weren't for this thread. Just thought since it is 4 pages long I would help to make it longer lol
Great! Now this 4 page diatribe concerning words like "Friend" or the obsession with gender neutral everything is going to be 10 pages long by tomorrow and I won't have time to read all the inputs. BTW: loved your post! :)

If a CM called me 'friend' out of nowhere I think I would look around to see who they were talking to.

To me it is.
Then you must know the story? Why it's on the sweater? I'm not a Cosby fan...but I am aware his young adult son was murdered. The friend phrase was a greeting the son often used. I think it's a stretch to equate this sad story with a pleasant greeting at WDW.

In our PC, cancel-culture world Disney would probably be sued if a cast member would call a guest sir or ma’am. I’m not sure when everyone became so easily offended in this country, but I would have to think that we are so blessed as a nation that we have time and excess energy to sit around and think up things that bother us. It is funny how no one seemed bothered when Facebook has used the same term for over fifteen years.

We already use mixed gender greetings in groups, and have for years. By using “Ladies and gentlemen,” “boys and girls,” or more Disney specific, “Princes and Princesses,” etc. there is already an acknowledgment of mixed gender gatherings.
Unlike the dietary restrictions example you noted, gender neutral greetings aren’t catering to a small group and excluding a majority (like a 100% low carb friendly menu would). They are, by definition, inclusive of all humans.

Using gender neutral greetings is less clunky and is inclusive of even more folks than the greetings listed above. I don’t really see how moving from multi-gender to gender neutral greetings is part of the “where does it end” slippery slope. It is an easy way to be kind.

“friends” is only one option. Someone earlier suggested “pals.” I also think that CM use of “toys” in toy story land is also clever. My all time favorite, though, is Mr. Rogers use of “Hello, Neighbor!”

Make it area specific - I want a "howdy, partners" in Frontierland, but also demand to be formally addressed as "guests of the court" while near the castle. :earsboy:

It is funny how no one seemed bothered when Facebook has used the same term for over fifteen years.
You're missing the point where in FB "friends" are ACTUALLY my friends, not random strangers (and I get to accept or decline who gets labeled that way) so I don't see how that applies.

It is funny how no one seemed bothered when Facebook has used the same term for over fifteen years.

OP here. Again, not bothered by it, just noticed how much we encountered it this past weekend. And I can only speak for myself, but I generally don't add people to my Facebook "friends" unless I have an existing relationship with them that is deeper than they just happen to work for a company that I patronize.

Couple of weeks ago we were in Canada in Epcot and a guy was not wearing his mask so a Disney mana type CM said friend you need to put your mask on. Maybe friend is an easier way then saying hey you and it sounds nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter