Castaway Cay with limited mobility

bethanyfos

Earning My Ears
I am traveling on the Dream with my mother and her friend. Neither of them are capable of doing a lot of walking but they love the beach. Which is the best tram stop and beach to minimize the amount of walking they have to do?

My sister is handicapped but in a wheelchair, so we didn't ride the tram. However, what I can tell you is that you will be provided a detailed map with the tram stops so you can use that to plan. The closer beaches were family ones. They do have adult only beaches. If I remember correctly, they were the farthest away from the dock. I would think there's a tram stop to that end. In case you need it, they have plenty of sand wheelchairs for going onto the beach. I'm not sure if they have them in the adult only area, but we got one on the way to the family beach. They have super huge wheels. They're like monster truck wheelchairs.

I am traveling on the Dream with my mother and her friend. Neither of them are capable of doing a lot of walking but they love the beach. Which is the best tram stop and beach to minimize the amount of walking they have to do?
There is a tram (stop indicated by red arrow on map) that runs to the two family beach stops (# 1 & 2 on the ma). At the second stop, if you're going to Serenity Bay (adult beach) you must change trams (tram stop #3). The second tram stop is closest to the beach (less walking) and a portion of it is paved, not sand. The Serenity Bay stop you'll be walking in sand more to get to the loungers.

If they're just interested in walking the area the whole "trail" indicated on the map is paved. No sand walking.

Castaway-Cay-Map-March-2015-tram stops.jpg

The sand wheelchairs are pretty difficult to maneuver, from what I've read. And you'd need two of you to push if both of them want to use that.
wheelchairs & wagons 2014 16036 P1020648 1500.jpg

Before you leave the ship ask for a golf cart assist to the beach. They call it the "island taxi". We had them take us all the way to the pelican point
beach. DH had an ECV but didn't want to take it off the ship. I just found him an umbrella and lounge chair close to the sidewalk and close
to Cookies II. I enjoyed the water and he just people watched until after lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter