• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay MUST DO's???

1. Relax

2. Repeat step #1

Seriously, the are a ton of cool things to do, but don't sweat it, just enjoy. Lay on the beach and read a book, float in the lagoon, bury yourself in the sand... I personally enjoy the snorkeling, especially the Nautilus, and the parasailing is really amazing. I had never done it before, and I really can't recommend it enough. And I will also wholeheartedly endorse the Konk Kooler as the drink of choice for the day. Budget for a never ending supply. ;)

We enjoyed bicycling to the tower and it doesn't take that long. I have also read on another thread, that they have paddle boarding now. I can't find any written description of that on the Disney site, but another cruiser did it. We will try that if we can this summer.

We went on a cruise last September without our daughter. We had the best time at Serenity Bay. We took a bike ride and leisurely rode the bike path and had the best time. We went to the observation tower and took some amazing pictures. I recommend doing this if you are able to.

The 5k is a very neat experience if you are into that sort of thing. It's cool to say that you ran a 5k on a tropical island in the Bahamas!:cool1:

I have ran 4 marathons and my hubby did one so 5k would be cool but what do we do with our 7 and 9 year old? Also I made stingray thing for 11am..? Only a three day cruise. What do you think?

Going on my second cruise this May, and my DH and I decided it's going to be our adventure cruise. We got married on our first cruise in October, and everything was such a fuss that we didn't really get to fully "enjoy" the ship, and want to take the time to discover all the great things about the Dream, and our favorite Castaway Cay! :beach:

Hanging out in a hammock with the hubby and enjoying a drink was fun. Followed by the buffet.

Jodstertx said:
Does anyone know if it's ok to bring our own snorkeling equipment?:cool1:

You can absolutely bring your own snorkeling gear!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash
Sounds like a perfectly fine day at Castaway Cay to me!

Me too! We travel in September this year and I am desperate for a lovely day on Castaway Cay. We went last year (first cruise) in June and unfortunately storm Debby hit us - still a fun day but serenity bay literally had to close down!

Does the serenity bay are have snorkel and floats to rent or do you have to lug them from the family beach?

On our first family vacation we had received a windfall, so it was a vacation of a lifetime, sooo..we got a cabana.

It was one of the last ones on the family beach, so we were secluded and had our own area to ourselves. Truthfully I, and DD, napped quite a bit of the time. The cooler was stocked with drinks, there were snacks there, we got a ride to and from and also, if we requested it, they would come pick us up to go get our lunch. A nice ceiling fan, our own hammock... it was a great day. After having done it once though, I don't really see the need to do it again. Our last visit was just me and DD and we went to serentity bay..nice and quiet.

If I was travelling with small children, or a big group..the shared cost of a cabana is worth it.

Just my .02---any day on Castaway Cay is awesome.

Any idea what the weight limit is? My daughter is almost 6, but weighs 35 pounds. She can't ride as long/far as the rest of us can, so this would be a great option.

My 3 year old is 40lbs; I would be more concerned about her height.

Do you have to pre-register for the 5k? And what time does it usually start? Oh, and is there someplace to stash my beach bag so I don't have to re-board before diving in?

Do you get a plastic or metal medal or a certificate upon completion?
Is there a time limit to complete?

For the 5k is it a run or can people just walk it?

Do you have to pre-register for the 5k? And what time does it usually start? Oh, and is there someplace to stash my beach bag so I don't have to re-board before diving in?

Do you get a plastic or metal medal or a certificate upon completion?
Is there a time limit to complete?

Lovely pretty 5K thread here!

I'm pretty sure you can walk, and they wait until after everyone's done to go away. By the time I got through the second loop the CM at the water station was gone, but the other CM was still at the finish line and the clock was still running (I finished in about 46 minutes with a very slow jog) and there were about 10 people still out on the course.

You don't preregister. The Navigator you get the night before will tell you when and where to meet. For me it was at 8:15 at Evolution on the Dream. You go (be ready! all dressed and ready to go, take a bathroom break before you get there b/c they won't stop for one, and have your KTTW and a photo ID with you), you meet, you get your bib number and safety pins to put it on, you walk off the ship en masse, walk to the starting line (everyone else takes trams, but the 5K people walk) and go.

I don't know about stuff-storage, as I had DH and DS bringing my stuff off the ship for me later.

BUT if I did it in the future, I might actually hurry back to the ship to change for the day. Why? Because it was really obnoxious to change from my sweaty running clothes into my bathing suit in a toilet stall in the public bathrooms. Even though my day was to consist of swimming in the ocean and lazing on a lounge chair, in retrospect (and in looking forward) I would have rather gone back to the ship, had a proper shower, gotten changed, and made my way back to the beach. Would have taken some time, but would have been more *pleasant*.

2/9/13 we got plastic mickey-ear medals, but no certificate. I was reading a trip report last night and saw that they use the same medal for other things; the picture I saw was of a teen who won, if memory serves, a basketball free-throw contest. They are highly generic. For me the bib number was more important, but that's me. I also didn't expect any medal OR certificate, because I thought I read the Dream hadn't had them in awhile, so the bib number is all I was expecting. The medal was a surprise. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter