• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay & Life Preservers - Inconsistent Rules?

Naterfan

Mouseketeer
Just got back from a cruise and while on Castaway Cay we were told two different things regarding snorkeling and wearing life preservers. One life guard told us that we only had to wear the preservers if we were snorkeling in the dedicated snorkel area, but then we were told by the snorkel folks that you had to wear the preserver any time you were snorkeling, regardless of location. Anyone know the truth of the matter?

You must wear the snorkeling vests whenever/wherever you are snorkeling. These are not "life preservers" or USCG-approved life jackets/life vests/etc. It's bright yellow and helps you to be seen, not necessarily to help you float; you are allowed to wear it inflated or deflated but must have it on when snorkeling. At least, that's always been my understanding of the rules.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise!

They have the yellow snorkeling vests available on Serenity Bay side and you are expected to wear one.

You must wear the snorkeling vests whenever/wherever you are snorkeling. These are not "life preservers" or USCG-approved life jackets/life vests/etc. It's bright yellow and helps you to be seen, not necessarily to help you float; you are allowed to wear it inflated or deflated but must have it on when snorkeling. At least, that's always been my understanding of the rules.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise!
That's my understanding, also.

Vest is mandatory, and in October it was strictly enforced. Even a girl snorkeling in the cabana side of the water was warned by a lifeguard.

On SB last month, I lost count on how many times the lifeguard blew his whistle and told people through a mega phone, they must put on vests to snorkel.

In the snorkeling lagoon, there shouldn't be any inconsistency. If you enter the lagoon you must have a snorkeling vest. Even if you bring your own snorkeling equipment, you still may not enter the lagoon without a vest, but the vests are available at the lagoon for use free of charge.

If you go elsewhere to snorkel, I could see there being inconsistencies. After all, in other places such as Serenity Bay, plenty of people go out into the water with no plans to snorkel and the lifeguards can't simply make everyone going into the water wear a vest. So while there might be vests available at places such as Serenity Bay, I don't see how a rule could be enforced unless they made everyone that entered the water anywhere have a vest.

I'm pretty sure the 1st time my wife and I went snorkeling off the beach in Serenity Bay, we didn't have any vests on.

However, because they can be use completely deflated and therefore won't interfere with your ability to snorkel or dive below the surface, I would strongly recommend their use AND that you only snorkel using a buddy system. It's very easy from Serenity Bay to find yourself 100 yards from shore in 6'-8' of water. That would be a bad place to start choking on water you've accidentally inhaled and not have any help near by.

I even went to the expense of buying a set of vests for my wife and I so that we could always be using them... and not have to have any where you don't know who might have been blowing on the valve or know how well they've been cleaned.

Just got back from a cruise and while on Castaway Cay we were told two different things regarding snorkeling and wearing life preservers. One life guard told us that we only had to wear the preservers if we were snorkeling in the dedicated snorkel area, but then we were told by the snorkel folks that you had to wear the preserver any time you were snorkeling, regardless of location. Anyone know the truth of the matter?
We just got back from a cruise as well and were snorkeling in the cabana area (completely roped off). They said you must wear it any time while snorkeling, but it was optional to inflate them.

We’ve always been told we had to wear them anywhere we were snorkeling and the lifeguards were all over it. They whistled and used the megaphone anytime they saw someone enter the water with snorkeling gear or saw them snorkeling. We also saw them go out into the water to talk to someone who either wasn’t hearing or understanding their yelling.

In the snorkeling lagoon, there shouldn't be any inconsistency. If you enter the lagoon you must have a snorkeling vest. Even if you bring your own snorkeling equipment, you still may not enter the lagoon without a vest, but the vests are available at the lagoon for use free of charge.

If you go elsewhere to snorkel, I could see there being inconsistencies. After all, in other places such as Serenity Bay, plenty of people go out into the water with no plans to snorkel and the lifeguards can't simply make everyone going into the water wear a vest. So while there might be vests available at places such as Serenity Bay, I don't see how a rule could be enforced unless they made everyone that entered the water anywhere have a vest.

I'm pretty sure the 1st time my wife and I went snorkeling off the beach in Serenity Bay, we didn't have any vests on.

However, because they can be use completely deflated and therefore won't interfere with your ability to snorkel or dive below the surface, I would strongly recommend their use AND that you only snorkel using a buddy system. It's very easy from Serenity Bay to find yourself 100 yards from shore in 6'-8' of water. That would be a bad place to start choking on water you've accidentally inhaled and not have any help near by.

I even went to the expense of buying a set of vests for my wife and I so that we could always be using them... and not have to have any where you don't know who might have been blowing on the valve or know how well they've been cleaned.

When they see people with snorkeling gear on, they whistle to them that they must wear a vest and they are available at the lifeguard stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter