• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay Cancellations?

b0m5jgr

Mouseketeer
Hi, this might be a tough question, does anybody have an idea how often things (feeding stingrays for example) are cancelled. Just watched a video of Castaway Cay the weather was beautiful except a little windy and a bunch of things were cancelled on the chalk board. Really looking forward to feeding stingrays, would be a major disappointment if it was cancelled. Thanks..

Every time I've been (4 times) there have been at least some cancellations. It's not just about the winds - it's also the currents. I personally would never make an excursion on CC make-or-break for my cruise. If I wanted to book one, I would and it would be a nice bonus if it went - but TBH I would book it expecting it to be cancelled.

In 11 visits to Castaway Cay, I've only had one visit where all excursions were canceled. Wind and currents tend to cancellations of things like parasailing and fishing. I think the stingrays are probably the last excursion to get canceled.

We have had at least 8 visits there and I would say half the time things were cancelled because of the weather.

On our double dip in June, I think the only thing cancelled (both days) was a glass bottom boat tour? Other than that, the weather was fabulous!
Book what you're interested in and hope that the weather cooperates. If it gets cancelled, think of it as saving a hundred bucks or so! :)

Been twice and the one time we had a sail and snorkel planned that was cancelled to weather, "choppy seas". No worries, my favorite thing to do there is bike around the island.

Hi, this might be a tough question, does anybody have an idea how often things (feeding stingrays for example) are cancelled. Just watched a video of Castaway Cay the weather was beautiful except a little windy and a bunch of things were cancelled on the chalk board. Really looking forward to feeding stingrays, would be a major disappointment if it was cancelled. Thanks..
Last time I went everything but stuff like bike riding was cancelled. Stuff like parasailing is cancelled almost every time.

Just off the double dip last week and the only thing I saw cancelled was the banana boat rides on day 2. There was a thunderstorm nearby on the afternoon of day 1. Parasailing seemed to still go as they left before our sandbar excursion. Whether they all went up is another story. Fortunately, for us, the storm stayed north and we have some amazing pictures from our excursion.

Odds of the Stingray excursion being cancelled are Quite low. If the passengers don't feed them, then the staff has to. Many CC excursions are Not run by DCL and those tend to be the most in jeopardy. Also remember, docking at CC is Never guaranteed.

Odds of the Stingray excursion being cancelled are Quite low. If the passengers don't feed them, then the staff has to. Many CC excursions are Not run by DCL and those tend to be the most in jeopardy. Also remember, docking at CC is Never guaranteed.
Our stingray adventure was cancelled a few years ago due to rain and lightning in the area.

We've had parasailing cancelled three times and a boating excursion cancelled once. Having said that, we've also managed to parasail, kayak, snorkel several times, go out on a seadoo, do the stingray excursion, do nature walks, and spend a fair bit of time in the water and we're not really even beach or water people. We tend to spend a lot of time on the ship at CC but have still managed to do quite a bit on our seven times there.

We've attempted to go to Castaway four times. Once (early March), we couldn't even dock because it was too windy. Second time, we docked and unloaded but it was very windy and basically everything was canceled (this was mid November). Other two times have been great--mid December and May.

First rule of cruising:

Always make three plans per port:

Plan A - Plan B - Plan C (because sometimes excursions and activities can be cancelled because of weather, currents, lack of participation, etc.)

And then, a Plan D for the ship in case your port gets cancelled and you get a sea day (which can happen if the weather is bad or if someone from your ship/another ship jumped/fell over board, all the ships in the area have to participate to the research for a certain number of hours).

In our 9 cruises we have had our parasailing cancelled probably 3 or 4 times. Just depends on the wind. We always find something else to do. extra money for souvenirs. :)

We had jetski booked on 7/10 and it as cancelled. I was disappointed but we still had a good day.

We've been on two Disney cruises with stops at Castaway Cay. Only one actually made it. The other skipped Castaway Cay completely due to Hurricane Joaquin. We had a cabana reserved (kindly shared by another cruiser I became acquainted with through these boards) and were majorly disappointed when we missed it. Such are the hazards of cruising during hurricane season, but from what I understand skipping Castaway Cay can happen any time of year. We didn't let it spoil our cruise and had a wonderful time with the extra sea day, even if it was a little rough. "My serenity is directly proportional to my level of acceptance."

Martin

Last edited:
In February we couldn't even dock into CC and they cancelled CC altogether.. Consider yourself lucky if they only cancel excursions :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter