Castaway Cay/Bahamas in November...

Dallas_Lady

I only work for the vacation money
What's the weather/water temp like? We did a double dip this June and LOVED it. Thinking about booking an Eastern out of Galveston for next Thanksgiving, but unsure if it will be warm enough to swim. I don't want to go if we won't enjoy the water.

How warm is warm enough? We were at Castaway Cay last week and the weather was ideal for sunbathing, but too chilly for us to do more than stick a big toe in the water. Other people braved the water.

When I was a kid and lived in cold country we vacationed in Arizona and went swimming in the motel pool. An older lady walked by in a fur coat and we looked at each other like "you must be out of your mind."

Now that I live in the desert, we don't swim unless the water is bath tub temp.

We were on the Dream last November and while I wouldn't say the water was like "bath" water, it wasn't bad at all. The kids had no problem jumping right in. I needed a minute to acclimate, but I'm like that with any normal swimming pool. But once we were in, it felt great! We swam and snorkeled all day at Blue Lagoon and CC!!

We've done multiple October and December cruises that included CC and always enjoyed the ocean (but we're hardy northerners who have qualms with using our backyard pool as long as the water temp is above 68 degrees).;)

Rash guard shirts help a lot to keep your body warm in the water, especially when snorkling. As long as there isn't a prevailing strong wind and the sun is shining you shouldn't have any problems.:)

Oh my, is it going to be cold at Christmas on CC? Should I cancel snorkeling? :confused3

We are such DCL fanatics, that I have actually kept track of weather & temperatures for about 6 years now. For November (2010 & 2011), from mid November thru the end of Nov., the temps run from a high of 77-79, to lows overnite of 63-68. The air temp shouldn't be too bad... but having lived in Florida since 1998, our blood has thinned to the consistency of pink lemonade :) - meaning if the water temp isn't over 80 degrees... we don't go in! We are such chickens.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

... not trying to hijak this thread, but ... we're paying almost $500 for a Cabana, the 2nd week in January. I know the water temp can vary, but how enjoyable will the Cabana be for our family if it's overall chilly?

... would love to hear from those who have experienced renting a Cabana in cooler weather, and your hindsight thoughts, etc ...

We just got off the Fantasy. Our Castaway day was on Friday November 9, 2012. Absolutely gorgeous day, but the water was freezing! :crazy2:
We could no believe it. What made it worse was how super windy it was. We tried getting in and lasted less than 5 minutes and did not even get in completely. It was just too cold. we still had an amazing time, but the combination of the super cold water and the excessive wind, made it too much to bear.

... not trying to hijak this thread, but ... we're paying almost $500 for a Cabana, the 2nd week in January. I know the water temp can vary, but how enjoyable will the Cabana be for our family if it's overall chilly?

... would love to hear from those who have experienced renting a Cabana in cooler weather, and your hindsight thoughts, etc ...

We booked a Cabana in Serenity Bay. As I posted before, the water was super cold and it was very windy. All we did was relax in the cabana all day. It was gorgeous and super relaxing, but we we did not use any of the complementary floats since we could barely get int the water :sad1:

We just got off the Fantasy. Our Castaway day was on Friday November 9, 2012. Absolutely gorgeous day, but the water was freezing! :crazy2:
We could no believe it. What made it worse was how super windy it was. We tried getting in and lasted less than 5 minutes and did not even get in completely. It was just too cold. we still had an amazing time, but the combination of the super cold water and the excessive wind, made it too much to bear.

To me a Bahamian/Caribbean cruise is all about the beach and swimming. I guess I'll just stick to the summer months!

Dallas_Lady :I guess I'll just stick to the summer months!

We've done 5 cruises with DCL so far. All have been early Oct to early Nov and the weather was great all times.
My Nov visits to CC were in the first week of Nov in 2002 and 2004. Water was a tad chilly but we acclimated quickly. Temp on the island was generally 75-85 the first week of Nov.
Our Oct trips to CC the island temps were 78-88. It was blazing hot on Oct 5 this year ! So summer is definitely not the only time one can enjoy warm temps :thumbsup2 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter