Castaway Cay 5K

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
My husband is interested in doing the 5K but we're confused. It looks like there's different "types"? A race? A challenge? I've seen videos of lots of people at the starting line and all starting at once and other videos where there were just 2 people (and the 2 people got a medal at the end). Can someone shed some light on this for us? TIA.

My husband is interested in doing the 5K but we're confused. It looks like there's different "types"? A race? A challenge? I've seen videos of lots of people at the starting line and all starting at once and other videos where there were just 2 people (and the 2 people got a medal at the end). Can someone shed some light on this for us? TIA.
The Challenge is put on by runDisney and you have to have run in one of the runDisney races at WDW on Marathon weekend. The 5K run is open to anyone on the ship and is now run on your own and pick up you medal afterwards.

You can “race” anytime you want. The start & finish is by the bike rental and you just goto the bike rental and tell them you did it for the medal. It’s a cute freebie, that not many people have. No pressure and a nice way to get moving. Worth the stop at the observation tower midway through.

I enjoy running it on our own way more than as a group... I kind of hope they continue to do it this way. We did the runway portion first to get it out of the way as it is in direct sun, and then did the two loops afterwards before claiming our medals.

I'm a bit sad that they don't have it as an "event" anymore. You used to all meet at a location and get off the ship before everyone else. There'd be hundreds of people doing it, was so much fun! Now, you wouldn't even know it's a thing judging by how many people you see running.

Not to mention, since you run it on your own, and get off the ship with everyone else, it takes a chunk of time out of your Castaway Cay day.

when I did it January 2023 I got off the ship right when it let guests off and headed toward the bike rental where the start sign was…. There was a fair amount of guests also readying themselves to run.

They still have the box to place belongings if needed there

When finished you get your medal at the bike rental area subject to availability and they have merchandise at the shop as well (I got a headband & pin they also had various shirts and a shoe ornament)

I'm a bit sad that they don't have it as an "event" anymore. You used to all meet at a location and get off the ship before everyone else. There'd be hundreds of people doing it, was so much fun! Now, you wouldn't even know it's a thing judging by how many people you see running.

Not to mention, since you run it on your own, and get off the ship with everyone else, it takes a chunk of time out of your Castaway Cay day.
It was nice. That's when runDisney was trying to get more involved. But it's also nice having it more relaxed and informal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter