Cast Members at DLR

abeautybutafunnygirl

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
I want to preface this by saying this is undoubtably a controversial subject, but it's something that I wanted to discuss. My family just got home from a week-long vacation at Disneyland. We had a fantastic visit, and nothing that I am about to approach really seriously affected this, but it's something I noticed.
Does anyone have thought about the 'magical-ness' of the cast members at DLR vs WDW? A little background: I spent last summer working at WDW as an international CP, but before that, DLR was my 'home' park as a west-coast Canadian.
I don't really have any specific example, and we encountered very few (if any- i can think of only 1 or 2 negative experiences) CMs who were downright rude, but over the course of the week, I felt like there was less palpable magic and excitement from cast members- less 'have a magical day', and overall less enthusiasm (genuine or acted). My theory is that as a 'locals park', there is less demand for this sort of thing. On top of that, I felt like the majority of CMs in Florida were from outside of the immediate area, and had moved there specifically to work for Disney, while most DLR CMs were from California.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi everyone,
I want to preface this by saying this is undoubtably a controversial subject, but it's something that I wanted to discuss. My family just got home from a week-long vacation at Disneyland. We had a fantastic visit, and nothing that I am about to approach really seriously affected this, but it's something I noticed.
Does anyone have thought about the 'magical-ness' of the cast members at DLR vs WDW? A little background: I spent last summer working at WDW as an international CP, but before that, DLR was my 'home' park as a west-coast Canadian.
I don't really have any specific example, and we encountered very few (if any- i can think of only 1 or 2 negative experiences) CMs who were downright rude, but over the course of the week, I felt like there was less palpable magic and excitement from cast members- less 'have a magical day', and overall less enthusiasm (genuine or acted). My theory is that as a 'locals park', there is less demand for this sort of thing. On top of that, I felt like the majority of CMs in Florida were from outside of the immediate area, and had moved there specifically to work for Disney, while most DLR CMs were from California.
Does it really impact your vacation that much if a minimum wage employee does or doesn't tell you to have a magical day? You're in Disneyland, bring your own excitement.

Personally in my experience the CM everywhere but the rides are wonderful and very "magical" (ha ha). Many times I have been blown away by the helpfulness and friendly attitudes of most CMs. Lately the CMs on the rides seem super stressed and NOT magical. I think it has to do with all the changes and people not understanding them. It sounds like a tough job. I don't need the ride CMs to be anything but "not rude" and for the most part that's what I experience.

Does it really impact your vacation that much if a minimum wage employee does or doesn't tell you to have a magical day? You're in Disneyland, bring your own excitement.

Thanks for your response. I tried to make it clear in my initial post that it really did not impact my vacation that much, but I guess I did not make it clear.
We had a great trip, and did "bring our own excitement" as you said.
However, I do find your attitude about a "minimum wage employee" interesting. I guess I just have never thought about working for Disney as just a minimum wage job; I understand that in reality it is just another job, but in Florida it felt really special.

Thanks for your response. I tried to make it clear in my initial post that it really did not impact my vacation that much, but I guess I did not make it clear.
We had a great trip, and did "bring our own excitement" as you said.
However, I do find your attitude about a "minimum wage employee" interesting. I guess I just have never thought about working for Disney as just a minimum wage job; I understand that in reality it is just another job, but in Florida it felt really special.

It is amazing (to me) how little $$ CMs make working for Disney. Especially with how much they have to put up with.

I will say that it has been our observation over the past few years that the CMs at Disneyland seem a bit less interested in creating magic than the CMs at WDW. And the CA parks usually seem a bit dirtier (more noticeable litter, etc).

I went in October a few years ago. I heard a CM mumbling to a rude group of teens trying to get in a fastpass line that claimed they had lost their fastpasses (I was standing behind them with my kids). The CM whispered to another CM "pa**holes" and they mumbled about how ridiculous "they" were. I have seen multiple threads about how locals treat DL like their local mall hangout and CMs get treated worse at DL vs WDW as a result, so maybe that is where the attitude came from.

I was pretty offended even though I am not even pass holder and the comment wasn't directed at me. My kids kept asking what happened instead of just hopping on the ride and enjoying it.

We are going again in a couple weeks and hope that doesn't happen again as the rest of the CMs we encountered were delightful.

Last edited:
This was our exact observation when we went to DL in 2013. My wife had never been, but we had got to WDW a few times before then. My main complaint and this fits no matter if you're getting paid minimum wage or not, was that there was no effort to resolve issues or assist with problems. Now I'm not talking about "boo I missed my fastpass window by three hours. Can I get another one'. I'm talking about simple theme park questions like where are the bathrooms, where can I get a fastpass, what time does this parade start. If the CM didn't know, they told you. They didn't try to find out, nothing. So here, it isn't a question about minimum wage, its about doing your job.

And if you can't get basic info, there is no way you are getting "magic" like, "hey, we've been looking all over for X souvenir, can you help us locate it?". At Disneyworld, we found a holiday plate at our hotel at the beginning of the trip. We loved it so much that we wanted to get them for our parents too. We went back to the hotel and they were sold out. We told the CM, they called all over to find us the plate. We would have never found it without the help of that CM. How many hotel souvenir shops do you think there are in WDW? But my impression in DL is that, if the CM didn't know, you didn't get it and had to go to the next CM, etc. etc.

I think that's what the OP was trying to say.

One of the other things I noticed about DL CM's is their attitudes towards Annual Passholders. I think "a few" of the AP holders at DL have more of an "entitled" attitude about them, and the CM's get tired of that. After we learned that bit of information, we tried to incorporate something into our conversations with CM's that let them know we weren't DL AP holders.

I had always heard that the DL CM's were so much more friendly than those at WDW. But we found it just as hit-or-miss at DL as what we find at WDW. At both places we have encountered fantastic CM's, but also those that are not so fantastic.

One of the other things I noticed about DL CM's is their attitudes towards Annual Passholders. I think "a few" of the AP holders at DL have more of an "entitled" attitude about them, and the CM's get tired of that. After we learned that bit of information, we tried to incorporate something into our conversations with CM's that let them know we weren't DL AP holders.
I think this is definitely true. Some AP holders are quite rude. I have never seen it myself. And I am a DAP holder. I think some of the AP holders who visit weekly are more likely yo fit this profile, but I have no personal experience so have no idea.

:wizard:

I totally agree with the OP. It started with our first 3 day trip in '06. I remember hearing CMs complain about hours and back injuries and such. I NEVER heard anything like that at WDW. Then when we returned in 2013, it was more of the same. That trip, everyday I'd hear a CM talking to another about how they only have 30 minutes to go or can't wait to start their weekend. Even the characters seemed less interested in visitors and more about hitting their breaks. I remember Goofy pointing at his wrist as if motioning it was time to go, even though he had arrived less than 10 minutes previous. I've also had numerous DL ride CMs be rude with me out of the blue. I'd ask them how long they'd been here and that I'd seen them before in years past and then WHAM rudeness.

At WDW, I always had this magical feeling when dealing with CMs. They seemed to want to interact more, like "Where you from?" The characters always seem playful and fun, even in the Florida heat. And even the restaurant CMs would make me feel magical on numerous occasions. To me, they really added to the "bubble" feeling I get there that I never get at DL. And it may have to do a lot with location, locals, APholders and such. But regardless, there is a difference for me, my wife and my friends from the East Coast when they come to visit.

I'm not saying that all DL CMs are rude. I'm pointing out that I get a more magical feeling overall from the CMs in Florida. Maybe it's that southern hospitality vs. SoCal indifference.

On top of that, I felt like the majority of CMs in Florida were from outside of the immediate area, and had moved there specifically to work for Disney, while most DLR CMs were from California.
I do not know the numbers between WDW and DLR, but WDW employs many more people than DLR. I would not be surprised if it was 10 times the number of people. If DLR employed the same number I suspect they would have to hire from further away. Plus DLR has a higher local population than does WDW. And if you narrow the population to younger people who tend to want to work at Disney for low (let's say, starting) wages, then DLR has even more to draw on.

How that affects attitudes in the parks of CMs, I do not know. Lots of the folks who do work at WDW tend to be from the Southeast, which has the positive stereotype of being more friendly. As a former Californian myself, the stereotype there is that people are shallow. Maybe those types of things also affect CM behavior.

After reading so many folks compare WDW and DLR CMs, if I had to say which seem friendlier I would say WDW. But I myself have never noticed a difference. They seem consistently good in my experience.

:wizard:

We have noticed this as well. I think it is just the climate of the parks- WDW is so much more a vacation destination bubble- it just has a different vibe, and that goes all the way to the CM's. That being said, DL is my favorite park of all of them- I LOVE it, so not trying to be negative at all. But I do find the CMs to be- not even less friendly, just less- excited? I can't think of the right word. I will also say that in all the time I've spent in both parks the only actually RUDE CM's I've encountered have been at DL, unfortunately.

I see these Disneyland vs WDW CM threads occasionally. I have to say, I have only encounter ONE CM in the last 50+years of Disney visits that I would consider rude, and that was at WDW.

That said, I grew up in California, and many people have said Californians are not friendly. I don't think that is the case at all, I still keep in contact with people I grew up with...they are wonderful people. But Californians, in general, are not naturally "chatty" like people in the South. They are always busy, and efficient in their conversations. It is just a normal regional thing. I love both Disneyland and WDW, do not expect identical experiences. Each is unique. Disneyland is more compact and intimate, not spread out. Both guests (most of whom are local) as well as CMs at Disneyland have always been pleasant, but they don't "waste time" explaining every detail or all the local Disneyland legends and folklore. There is no need to, Disneyland is not nearly the International destination that WDW is, it is a 2, maybe 3, day park and you can see everything. Unlike WDW where it would literally take weeks to see every detail.

People like complaining, what else can you say?
It didn't sound/feel like a complaint to me. More of an observation.

To speak to the original point, I haven't been to DW in several years so I can't comment on the differences between CMs. However, I do notice when CMs aren't kind or don't reply when I say good morning or something similar. Do I take it up with City Hall? No. But I always say and feel that a little kindness goes a long way and can certainly enhance my DL experience.

Does anyone have thought about the 'magical-ness' of the cast members at DLR vs WDW?

Every trip, every day, can be different.

I've encountered THE most uncaring jerky CMs at wdw.

I've had a weird miscommunication with a dl cm that could have been really negative but we both retained interest in working out the issue. And it ended up being a kudos for the cm at city hall.

The best themepark employee interactions I've had have been at universal Orlando and Hollywood.

You were an international college student. You likely weren't supporting a family and as far as I know the CP people at wdw live in provided places in Orlando, so you weren't trying to live in Southern California. To those not in the program, it's at its most basic level a low paying job.

We have found the oppisite, CMs at DL are a lot nicer than the ones at WDW! DL vacations for us are a lot of FUN and quite enjoyable otherwise, we would go somewhere else. The wife travels a lot and stays near DL and WDW often. To unwind after a hectic day in southern california she likes to go in DL to kid watch(watching kids having fun at DL) or simply into DTD for a few hours if its late. In Orlando she might go to Universal if she has time but, never does she go to WDW. She went into WDW last year and hated it, rudest people she had ever met. WDW does not give refunds if you are not happy about your visit. We go to DisneyLand or we do not go.

I see these Disneyland vs WDW CM threads occasionally. I have to say, I have only encounter ONE CM in the last 50+years of Disney visits that I would consider rude, and that was at WDW.

That said, I grew up in California, and many people have said Californians are not friendly. I don't think that is the case at all, I still keep in contact with people I grew up with...they are wonderful people. But Californians, in general, are not naturally "chatty" like people in the South. They are always busy, and efficient in their conversations. It is just a normal regional thing. I love both Disneyland and WDW, do not expect identical experiences. Each is unique. Disneyland is more compact and intimate, not spread out. Both guests (most of whom are local) as well as CMs at Disneyland have always been pleasant, but they don't "waste time" explaining every detail or all the local Disneyland legends and folklore. There is no need to, Disneyland is not nearly the International destination that WDW is, it is a 2, maybe 3, day park and you can see everything. Unlike WDW where it would literally take weeks to see every detail.

I would expand that to the entire West Coast (Seattle-area native, here!). It just isn't as chatty as the South. At all. Seattle Freeze is a real thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter