Cast Member Gifts

Former CM here. Cast compliments are really the way to go. As others have mentioned, gift cards and cash are prohibited.

While your intent is very kind, at least in my role - I really had nowhere to put anything someone handed me. My uniform had very small and tight pockets and I was unable to really put anything in them.

CMs cannot leave their post to put the item with their belongings. They can’t eat a treat in front of guests while working. For this reason, CMs in certain roles have to decline or toss these things. I had to turn down some things simply because there was nowhere to put them and I was working. Some guests seemed offended or embarrassed when I politely declined. It was kind of awkward, but I really had no choice and it actually made me feel bad. I didn’t want to accept something just to have to throw it away.

If you offer candy, be sure it is small and not something that will melt in their pockets. If it’s some kind of object, be sure it is very small so they can put it in their pockets.

Unfortunately though, the candy or object may be forgotten about after a long shift and ruined in the laundry.

Really, truly - cast compliments and sincere verbal thank you’s are the way to go.

Last edited:
Former CM here. Cast compliments are really the way to go. As others have mentioned, gift cards and cash are prohibited.

While your intent is very kind, at least in my role - I really had nowhere to put anything someone handed me. My uniform had very small and tight pockets and I was unable to really put anything in them.

CMs cannot leave their post to put the item with their belongings. They can’t eat a treat in front of guests while working. For this reason, CMs in certain roles have to decline or toss these things. I had to turn down some things simply because there was nowhere to put them and I was working. Some guests seemed offended or embarrassed when I politely declined. It was kind of awkward, but I really had no choice and it actually made me feel bad. I didn’t want to accept something just to have to throw it away.

If you offer candy, be sure it is small and not something that will melt in their pockets. If it’s some kind of object, be sure it is very small so they can put it in their pockets.

Unfortunately though, the candy or object may be forgotten about after a long shift and ruined in the laundry.

Really, truly - cast compliments and sincere verbal thank you’s are the way to go.
Thank yo so much for this AWESOME info from a Cast Members perspective!

That is exactly what we do.

We always let the CM know we will be sending in a Compliment for them and many times they will tell us :"Thank you so much-you have just made my day!".

We tell them something like:"You are just doing a tremendous job doing "X" and are such an outstanding CM,we will consider it an honor to send in a Complement for you-thank you so much for your wonderful work and attitude!". :)

As a current Cast Member I only slightly disagree from a personal perspective. 90% of the compliments I have are from other Cast Members with a few being from Guests or something I did in relation to a Guest (given by a Leader/Coord, not on behalf of a Guest). I'm not sure if it's because people just forget, often times I have people say they'll give a compliment but then never do. That being said some of the most memorable moments I have are of Guests being kind to me, especially these days considering the kind of people we get now.

I think it's important for people to know that kindness to CM's is a tremendous gift. Being laidback, relaxed and friendly with a Cast Member is one of the greatest gifts I can get at the moment especially because I know that returning to Disney for a lot of Guests is not the same as it used to be and there's a certain level of frustration that comes with it. Trust me when I say we feel it all and more. Friendliness, kindness and patience is such a treasure to us at the moment.

But on a happier note; I've gotten mints in a tin can, pictures, paintings, stickers and even got to sign someone's autograph book before! Small gestures and presents that really made me feel special and brightened up my day. It's also always a kick to see families walking around with t-shirts saying something positive about Cast Members, they're my favorite persons of the day. And just awhile ago a Cast Member I know was gifted a handmade face mask with a card and everything!

It's worth noting that if we are gifted candy/food there's a good chance we won't eat it even off-stage because of health reasons, but in my case that mint tin case is still very special to me! It's not necessarily about the practicality of a gift but about the sentiment that goes with it.

But if you know that you can really get a compliment through to the Leaders then that works well too, it's always a fun surprise to log onto our site and see that we've got a new recognition!

I think it's important for people to know that kindness to CM's is a tremendous gift. Being laidback, relaxed and friendly with a Cast Member is one of the greatest gifts I can get at the moment especially because I know that returning to Disney for a lot of Guests is not the same as it used to be and there's a certain level of frustration that comes with it. Trust me when I say we feel it all and more. Friendliness, kindness and patience is such a treasure to us at the moment.

But on a happier note; I've gotten mints in a tin can, pictures, paintings, stickers and even got to sign someone's autograph book before! Small gestures and presents that really made me feel special and brightened up my day. It's also always a kick to see families walking around with t-shirts saying something positive about Cast Members, they're my favorite persons of the day. And just awhile ago a Cast Member I know was gifted a handmade face mask with a card and everything!

It's worth noting that if we are gifted candy/food there's a good chance we won't eat it even off-stage because of health reasons, but in my case that mint tin case is still very special to me! It's not necessarily about the practicality of a gift but about the sentiment that goes with it.

Wow, it's kind of sad that basic human decency is seen as a gift these days. I'm so sorry you and other CM's are having to deal with all this. It can't be easy being yelled at, eyes rolled at you, etc. on a daily basis when you're just trying to do your job and even more so when part of your job is to make sure said guest is keeping themselves and everyone around them safe.

The handmade mask is such a thoughtful gift and I thought about bringing masks and/or hand sanitizer, but figured Disney supplies you with all that and I'm sure you can only wear the masks Disney allow. I also wouldn't be hand making them as sewing is not my strong suit, but wanted to decorate some plain ones using my cricut and have something on there like "Magic Maker", but wasn't sure anyone would really want to wear that to the food store or something.

Thanks for your feedback and I hope you're met with more kindness from guests than anger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter