Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder, The Sequel ~ 2017

Great way to end the night. I always want to order it at night, but always too full with late dining. Last summer we got a snack many afternoons. Claire was loving the chicken wings...except I had to call and be there when they brought it...because God forbid she ever talk to someone.

Love your trip reports!!

We are all going on our first family cruise (DH, myself and 5 kiddos, ages 6 mo to 10 yrs!) in December out of port Canaveral, but our next one will probably be out of Galveston. I remember reading your other report and everything that happened there!

Thanks for writing another TR! I've got to work on mine from Alaska!!

That's great you were able to get switched to early dining!

I love Tiana's, I think it's a great restaurant (SOOOOO much better than Parrot Cay), I don't get how many people dislike it. :rolleyes2

Fabulous first day!

Just loving your trip report Cass! Always have, but since there only 29 days til our first DCL cruise (and 24 days to WDW) I am really enjoying grabbing tips out of your report to hopefully make our cruise even better :)

It was the head server Ronald on the phone saying that he had a private table for us and to come down to Tiana's straight away! :banana:
That's great that you were able to switch to main dining and have your own table.

192.jpg
This soup looks really good. Is it lentil?

How cute that the characters come around to your tables. I wish all the Disney ships had something like this.

At first glance I thought this was the ceiling to the Be Our Guest restaurant in Magic Kingdom. It's really pretty.

I love all the Disney stage shows, I agree with you I'd rather watch this instead of a movie I could watch at home.

This is super adorable. I love how it includes all the ships names.

With early dining, we ended up being quite hungry by about 9:30-10pm. Since we were used to late dining, when we would have an early bite at Pete's by about 4pm then our dinner at 8:30 ish, we figured we could just flip this custom of ours but by the time we were hungry, we realized that Pete's closed every night at 9:30pm!!! :(
I remember when cruises had the buffets open 24 hours. I used to love going at like 3am to get a bite to eat. It's a shame there are so many cut backs these days.

Yum!

Yay for getting main dining! Tiana's Place looks awesome! Love the changes. Now I need to book another cruise.

Jill in CO

Love reading your trip reports!! :sunny: So glad you've started another one. :flower:

We always prefer late dining - but love your idea of having main and then swimming :) Especially since you've seen most of the shows.
Loved your Christmas lights too. Were they battery operated?

Day 4 Part 1

Sorry, life sometimes gets in the way of trip reporting :rolleyes:

I edited a whole schwack of photos on the weekend, found out that there were some photos from Rob's iPhone that didn't download to my computer! :scared: Thankfully there was only 1 that I had wanted to add to my report so far, our family selfie from when we sailed away. I added that in since it's one of our traditions :teeth:

Okay, now onto our first morning of the cruise and our first at sea day. I don't take as many photos on sea days so I might not remember some stuff or more than likely, I will remember it but it will be in the wrong order. Ugh, sea days, right? :rolleyes1 :love:

The first thing we always do is check out our balcony :cloud9:

216.jpg

Then we got showered and dressed and headed up to Cabanas for breakfast. We love to sit outside at the back, the temperature was perfect and we even found a table in the shade!

As we were eating, I noticed Sasha was there. Sasha is a little famous here on the DIS, he's been around a lot and is really good at what he does. We should know, he was our server on our very first cruise on the Magic way back in 2002!

Pictured below, along with our equally fabulous assistant server, Atilla.

I got to talk to him for a bit while Rob and Kira were grabbing their food. I actually had spotted him in the dining room the night before so I asked him why he was no longer in Palo. I remember that he had broken his arm years ago and rotated out of Palo but that was a loooong time ago, surely he was back.

I honestly can't remember the details but I think he said he was headed back to Palo very soon. It was good to see him but I didn't want to keep him long and then Kira and Rob had arrived back to the table.

217.jpg

380.jpg

We enjoyed our breakfast but I was sad that the Wonder didn't have any breakfast ham like the Fantasy did. :sad2:

218.jpg

I grabbed some bacon but I don't care for cruise bacon. :crazy2: Also, they didn't have the over easy eggs on the buffet either. I did find some later on in the cruise but they were more like over medium or more and I didn't care for them.

219.jpg

Walking past the ice cream place, Kira asked if she could get one. HAHAHA Why not, we're on vacation, right? :rotfl2:

220.jpg

Back to the room where we found this little piece of pixie dust. (The bag, not the fidget cube)

221.jpg

This was inside...so cute!!!

222.jpg

It was from our neighbours (whom I never saw the entire cruise! Either one!)

The card said we were pixie dusted. Since we joined so late and I was just lazy, I decided not to join the FE group this time. Instead, I got some things for Kira that I kind of snuck into our FE when she wasn't looking :laughing:

One of them was that fidget cube.

I had some extra Canadian Chocolate bars so I filled the bag up and then regifted them the bag :santa:

We went back to our room for a bit. Spent some time on the balcony I think. Look, perfect weather! :love:

223.jpg

We watched the Good Morning show on the TV, which I highly recommend doing every morning, especially if you are new to cruising. Very informative and entertaining.

224.jpg

Kira and I went down to the shops for a bit to peek at the merchandise more. It had been really busy the night before so not easy to look at stuff.

On the way back, we passed by our room we had last Christmas and told her to pose in front of it. As you can see, she wasn't too keen on it LOL! She was worried about someone coming out :rolleyes:

225.jpg

Back to our room, she found some little goodies in the FE :D

226.jpg

I think we watched some TV and then got some lunch from Pete's for Kira and I to eat back in the room.

227.jpg

228.jpg

I don't have pics of Rob's lunch and I know he likes Cabanas for lunch so I am sure we went there for him too, somewhere in there. :scratchin

Kira watching another ship go by.

229.jpg

We also did some laundry that day. We had some issues with the dryer. It didn't work the first time. It moved around but there was no heat. Then I put it in a different dryer after and while it had heat, the laundry was still wet after the first cycle so I had to put it in for a second one! Such a pain now because you have to buy credits from the machine and then use those credits at the machines.

Also, deck 6 laundry was stupid busy!! I ran up to deck 7 and the laundry room there was WAY bigger and there was no one there!

So, tip # 1, if you have laundry to do, use the launderette on deck 7 and tip #2, don't do laundry on Formal Night, because everyone else seems to do it then too. :rolleyes1

230.jpg

231.jpg

Detour outside to enjoy the deck :cloud9:

232.jpg

Rob actually got some reading done on this cruise, a luxury he doesn't have much time for these days.

233.jpg

We went to see Coco in the Walt Disney Theatre at 2pm. We knew it would be playing on the ship so we didn't go see it in the theatre.

It was a fantastic movie and Kira and I were both balling in the end. If you've ever lost someone special in your life, you will probably ball like a baby like us! Kira was sad because she still misses our dog, Lilo (and Stitch too but Lilo was just a couple of years ago so it's still kind of fresh) and for me, it was my parents.

234.jpg

We prompted Kira to check out the kids clubs but she was not having it. She went exactly ONE time on the cruise and only because we made her :lmao:

To me, it's such a waste but hey, it's her cruise too so I guess she will do what makes her happy. I think she was really missing the Detective Agency, Goofy Golf and the Aquaduck!

Tonight was formal night and Rob had mentioned that he wanted to get a formal pic done in the Atrium. I'm not big on getting these pics anymore because the lines are always atrocious plus I am cheap and I hate paying $20 USD for a less than spectacular photo :rolleyes:

Since we were on early dining, I knew it would be a mad house in between the two dining times so I made sure we did it before our dinner, which worked out way better!

The only nice family photo we got last Christmas was in front of the tree that sits in front of the Buena Vista Theatre, so I wanted to recreate the shot.

We only did that one last year because the lines were ridiculous!

A kind CM took this one for us.

235.jpg

And then we headed down to deck 3 to get a pic in front of the tree and the gingerbread house. I snapped a couple while waiting in line and I just love them. :love:

I'm a little biased though, considering the subjects :lovestruc

239.jpg

240.jpg

Here's the ones I took...

241.jpg

It was so dark in front of the GB house, only the professional pics really turned out.

242.jpg

Here are the two that we bought. I would like them a lot better if they weren't slightly blurry :worried:

244.jpg

Oh and can I just say that I hate the poses that they make you do? :rolleyes2

245.jpg

There was actually one really beautiful one of Kira that they took, in front of the tree but the composition just sucked! About a third of the photo was the carpet! So dumb! If they had just tilted the camera up a bit and got the tree in the photo instead of the carpet, it would have been perfect! o_O

We actually had some time to kill before dinner since the lines weren't as long as I had expected them to be. A nice CM demanded that he took this one of us :P

236.jpg

While we waited for Triton's to open, I snapped this one...

243.jpg

Oh those photos are lovely!!! Gosh she's looking so grown up these days!

Sasha!!! He was Palo server on our first ever cruise in 2015!! But he's not in Palo now? I SWEAR I saw him 6 months ago when we went to Alaska; we had Hristo (also fantastic!) but I swear I saw Sasha up there....:scratchin

Your pics are awesome. Kira is growing into such a young lady. ;)

Coco is amazing. I took my niece and nephew at Christmas and I bawled my eyes out.

Jill in CO

:love: Love Sasha. We had him as our MDR server on our West Coast Cruise. He had just moved to the Wonder and was waiting for Palo spot to open up. I think he's been in Palo on the Wonder for a few years now. Hope he's there for our EBPC in October!

Isn't the beginning of the cruise just the best? You have your whole vacation ahead of you. So glad you didn't have any fog issues this year.

It's the BEST! I feel that way as soon as we get through US Customs, I try to soak it in as much as I can and I even make a point of saying to Rob and Kira "This is the best part of the trip". Kira asked me why and I said "because everything is ahead of us. No more waiting, no more planning, all the real fun is about to begin!" :goodvibes

Love the room decorations!

So cool you got to see dolphins! I remember seeing some playing when I was on the beach in Galveston!

Jill in CO

Oh really? That would have been cool!! :cool1:

Awesome decorations!! Very christmassy :)

I love the navigators verandah, that deck is perfect for writing/reading. I wish they slept 4 in those rooms though; any idea why those rooms do not have a drop down bunk from the ceiling?

Hmm, I think it's just all structural but not sure :scratchin

Great start to your trip report! I really like the lights and your door decorations. Looking forward to future updates.

I love sail away...not the party but all the activity that it takes for the ship to leave.

Cliffhanger!

Jill in CO

HAHAHA, yup, give you a reason to come back :rotfl2:

What a great week! I've gotten to read an update every day after work!!
Don't you just love the first ice cream of the trip - always the best!
:dogdance:
And....did you get the first seating after all????

Actually, I think that was her second ice cream :laughing:

Sorry, not so zippy with the updates this week but I have something fun brewing that kept me away :goodvibes

I'm so glad your embarkation day went more smoothly this year! You are the reason that I was obsessively watching the Galveston port cam on the morning of our cruise - it was pretty foggy on December 14 and 15, too, so I was concerned. :) We had a totally normal embarkation day, and it looks like you did, too!

Oh, so glad you didn't have a delay! So foggy in Galveston, I love it I just don't like the delays :rolleyes1

Wait, wait! I thought I was reading Cass’ trippie. I was so confused when I read the part where you were watching a Christmas movie. I almost had to look to make sure I was reading your’s. LOL!!!

Breakfast at The Waffle House looked pretty good. It’s been at least 35 years since we ate at one. :)

Cass, you know you can text me ANY TIME during the night and early morning and I’ll be awake. I was happy to hear from you before you left on your cruise.

Glad you didn’t have the debacle from last year at the terminal. Big difference, eh?

Loving the pics of the verandah. That map is awesome looking!! I’m not a fan of the slingback bag from DCL and will gladly trade you mine for the one I loved from 2007!!! I still can’t believe I lost mine somewhere. I used that bag to death. :)

It was still fun watching the ship take off except that we couldnt see you. It would be been so much nicer to see your smiling faces though.

Yeah, I kind of figured you wouldn't see us, oh well. I know, right? Me watching and enjoying a xmas movie! :rolleyes:

Okay, I will be texting you in the middle of the night now :rotfl2:

I am slowly catching up....but just saw this picture...That family was on our summer cruise! They were with the partying gang in the smoking section and the guy had the same bag with him then too. LOL. Small world!

Wow, VERY small world! :eek:

I need to cruise just to get the new bag. I wish we got them last summer!

I was going to ask if you saw dolphins. We were amazed at all the dolphins in port when we sailed out of Galveston.

I am really really wanting to be on a ship right now!

I love the bag! I may actually use it in real life unlike the canvas bags. I love the old back packs and still have mine. :thumbsup2

Hopping out of lurk-mode to chime in! I read and loved your last report!!! Can't wait for the next installment!

Thanks for taking the time to post :goodvibes

So about that phone call.... ;)
Love that pic of Kira and the ice cream cone. I still remember that priceless pic your hubby took of Kira on the stairway with that second cone in her hand and that cute busted look on her face. Priceless! :-)
I was happy to see a pic of the Waffle House waffle on your second day at the Waffle House because I've never been to a Waffle House (the closest one is 250 miles away) and have never seen a Waffle House waffle, and I absolutely love waffles. :upsidedow
Your stateroom door is amazing!!! I love the little touches with the Christmas lights. I can never get enough cheeseburger pics, so I'm always happy to see those too. Really, could that cheese be any more golden?! Too bad it didn't taste as good as it looked but it sure was photogenic, I'll give it that.
Aww, too bad Kira is at that age where she doesn't want to be filmed dancing. I remember trying to get my grandson to play the drums in Animal Kingdom one year so I could film it (he was taking drum lessons at the time) and he wouldn't do it, so I have a pic of him standing next to the drums with his arms folded, refusing to play).
I have to say that I really do appreciate everyone who takes pics of the airports and check in processes along the way. It sure does help set the scene and let's others know what to expect. Thank you for sharing!
Happily reading along. :D

Haha! Totally, caught red-handed :laughing:

I don't eat waffles but Rob and Kira love those waffles so I guess they are good :p

NEXT to the drums LOL! Too funny! Yup, I have a feeling next trip will have a lot less photos of Kira :scared:

I agree, I love the details in a trip report, makes it more enjoyable! :cool1:

Great way to end the night. I always want to order it at night, but always too full with late dining. Last summer we got a snack many afternoons. Claire was loving the chicken wings...except I had to call and be there when they brought it...because God forbid she ever talk to someone.

Yes, it became a nice way to end each evening. I just wish the food quality was more consistent. It was either really good or really bad. :(

And yes, with late dining, we didn't have the need, which is why we haven't done it in years!

Love your trip reports!!

We are all going on our first family cruise (DH, myself and 5 kiddos, ages 6 mo to 10 yrs!) in December out of port Canaveral, but our next one will probably be out of Galveston. I remember reading your other report and everything that happened there!

Thanks for writing another TR! I've got to work on mine from Alaska!!

Port Canaveral is nice but if you don't count the fog delay, I actually prefer Galveston ::yes::

That's great you were able to get switched to early dining!

I love Tiana's, I think it's a great restaurant (SOOOOO much better than Parrot Cay), I don't get how many people dislike it. :rolleyes2

Fabulous first day!

Yes, I was soooo happy!! People dislike Tiana's?? What? What is not to love??? :confused3

Thank you for sharing your trip!

Thanks for reading :thumbsup2

Just loving your trip report Cass! Always have, but since there only 29 days til our first DCL cruise (and 24 days to WDW) I am really enjoying grabbing tips out of your report to hopefully make our cruise even better :)

Oooh 29 days! Well, even less now! :cool1:

You will love it :worship:

That's great that you were able to switch to main dining and have your own table.

This soup looks really good. Is it lentil?

How cute that the characters come around to your tables. I wish all the Disney ships had something like this.

At first glance I thought this was the ceiling to the Be Our Guest restaurant in Magic Kingdom. It's really pretty.

I love all the Disney stage shows, I agree with you I'd rather watch this instead of a movie I could watch at home.

This is super adorable. I love how it includes all the ships names.

I remember when cruises had the buffets open 24 hours. I used to love going at like 3am to get a bite to eat. It's a shame there are so many cut backs these days.

Yum!

Yes! Country Green Lentil Soup :thumbsup2

It is pretty and does look like BoG! ::yes::

24 hours? Wow! We started cruising in 2002 and they didn't have that but that would be kind of neat! :laughing:

Yay for getting main dining! Tiana's Place looks awesome! Love the changes. Now I need to book another cruise.

Jill in CO

Yup, it's never a bad time to cruise :rotfl2:

Love reading your trip reports!! :sunny: So glad you've started another one. :flower:

We always prefer late dining - but love your idea of having main and then swimming :) Especially since you've seen most of the shows.
Loved your Christmas lights too. Were they battery operated?

Yeah, I've never been a fan of Main Dining but I think I am starting to become one with the terribly short pool hours now :cool:

Yes, two AA batteries, which were more expensive than the lights themselves :laughing:

Joining in! Love all the down time you arranged!

The more we cruise, the more down time we have. I love it :thumbsup2

Love the group pic in front of the GB house!

Thanks! I love it but not the pose :rolleyes2

Oh those photos are lovely!!! Gosh she's looking so grown up these days!

Sasha!!! He was Palo server on our first ever cruise in 2015!! But he's not in Palo now? I SWEAR I saw him 6 months ago when we went to Alaska; we had Hristo (also fantastic!) but I swear I saw Sasha up there....:scratchin

So grown-up, I can hardly believe it :flower:

Nope, he wasn't in Palo, he was in the dining rooms. He said he was waiting to get back into Palo and only had one more week I think.

Your pics are awesome. Kira is growing into such a young lady. ;)

Coco is amazing. I took my niece and nephew at Christmas and I bawled my eyes out.

Jill in CO

Thanks Jill :hug:

Yup, lots of kleenex needed :rotfl2:

:love: Love Sasha. We had him as our MDR server on our West Coast Cruise. He had just moved to the Wonder and was waiting for Palo spot to open up. I think he's been in Palo on the Wonder for a few years now. Hope he's there for our EBPC in October!

I wish I could remember the reason he told me that he wasn't in Palo but he should be back there by now, he said he didn't have much longer. :thumbsup2

Sasha was in Palo May 2017. We ran into him one port day working at one of the quick foods places. I "think" he said, or someone said that they have to do duty at the various stations in case they are needed to sub, but I could be completely wrong on remembering what was said about why he was serving burgers. Also, I thought the subbing was just for a day here and there.

He is awesome. I hope he is back in Palo the next time we cruise the Wonder.

217.jpg

Oh my, look at you guys, you are so YOUNG! Cuties both of you.

380.jpg

. :sad2:

Such a beautiful young lady. I am sure she makes your heart swell daily.

Great, GREAT photos!

239.jpg

240.jpg

Here's the ones I took...

Kate

We watched the Good Morning show on the TV, which I highly recommend doing every morning, especially if you are new to cruising. Very informative and entertaining.

Love the Morning show! Are they still doing the Door of the Day? :rockband::rotfl:

Great update! I love all your family photos - you got some good ones on formal night.

I get the kids who don't like the clubs thing. My DD didn't want to go to them on our first cruise and just hung out with us, which was fine with us. And on our 2nd cruise she had a friend from school to hang out with (we only realized we were on the same cruise about 10 days before it started) and they didn't want to spend time in the clubs. So we learned it's not because she'd have to go there alone. And now she's aged out of them, so it's too late. But we still have lots of fun together as a family.

Looking forward to your next update. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter