Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder 2021 - The ups & downs of travelling during covid!

With my auto-immune disease, it's a must for me, even in this pandemic world where things get cleaned more often, we still find lots of places that are neglected or forgotten. It's especially important for us to stay healthy now
I know even when things get a lot better I’m using wipes just makes me feel healthier, happier and cleaner and like yourself I have Lupus. Luckily for me since being diagnosed I’ve improved and it doesn’t affect me minus knowing and have it changing diet a bit and being more careful.

Our kid, on the other hand is an extroverted introvert. 😏

She does well in social situations, is super friendly, easy to get along with, makes other people at ease, very talkative but she gets to a point where she just gets drained and needs to be alone to recharge. It's almost like she hits a wall, you can physically see it in her, if you know her well. Part of it, I think, comes from being an only child, she is used to being alone and has come to need it, the way I do. If I don't get my alone time, I get crabby. Both Kira and Rob know this about me and they know when I just need to curl up with my Boo and chill all by my lonesome.

She also suffers from anxiety, as many kids these days, do. She's had it for awhile but honestly, because Rob and I don't have it, we've always chalked it up to just growing pains. In the past year, though, I've done some research about it and it has opened my eyes to what she's been going through and I've noticed so much more about her and why she does the things she does. It genuinely hurts my heart because I can't imagine going through life like that.
sigh.gif

When it comes to vacations, usually the things she's used to are easier for her. She's used to the Wonder now and is more comfortable with the ship but she's been in Edge the past 3 cruises and now that she's 15, she has to go to Vibe, which is new to her, and attributes to her anxiety. We had to gently push her for two days to even go to Vibe. She would only go with Claire that one time for registration and then she didn't want to go back. I told her to go that first night because they do all of the ice breaker activities, which helps the kids get to know everyone but she refused. She eventually found the courage to go and when she finally did, she met some friends, found a new crush and on the last day, she found a girl she bonded with so well that they chat almost every day now via text. I knew she would find her groove, she just needs to get past that starting gate, which can be daunting most times. :hug:

like you daughter I’m a mix of introvert and extrovert. I’m not really talkative, but I enjoy meeting new people. I use to be way more introverted.
Also I am a only child as well, and at times I needed my alone times. I can definitely relate.

Apparently, it's been happened a LOT lately. When Rob went to pick up our bag at the airport, he said there were hundreds upon hundreds of bags that were lost/misdirected just sitting there and that was just from that day! :sad2:

Awww :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush: Glad you can find some time and that I can still entertain you after all these years. :hug:

Sorry that you don't get to cruise, it's my favourite type of vacation. :lovestruc

Best part of the cruise, hands down!! I miss it so much! ::yes::

I bet Kira would get along with G too! Maybe one of these days it will happen. :goodvibes

Oh, I do!! I even Facetime her when I'm on trips without Rob & Kira but she never had any interest, she just walks away. I keep calling though. :rotfl2:
HOW DO THEY LOSE HUNDREDS OF BAGS?!?!? The anger for all those customers that is going through my veins right now is insane. I am so sorry that happened to you all. I’d be pissed.

Sorry your bag didn’t show up. I know you missed those Christmas lights in the cabin. Looks like you are definitely making the best of it. Can’t wait for more !

December 22nd, Part 1

Kira slept like a rock but Rob and I had a rough night. We were rocking pretty good and there was a lot of creaking and rattling going on in our room, just above my head.

In the morning, I tried to figure out what part what making the noise and I discovered that the light fixture above me was very loose, one side was hanging down quite a bit and would rattle. I went to put a small piece of kleenex in there, hoping it would help and that is when I noticed that someone else had already put a small piece in there. My piece was larger and it did the trick. As I was inspecting the area, I noticed the entire panel was quite loose, and would creak against the wood paneling that was on the wall connecting to Jen & Claire's room.

We did mention it to our stateroom host and she said she would alert maintenance after our cruise.

Speaking of our stateroom host, we originally had Tana but then on the second day, we noticed that we had a different one, Maricel. We asked her why Tana was gone and she just said he was moved to a different location.

184.jpg

Good morning beautiful, how we have missed you! :love:

152.jpg

153.jpg

Kira was awake but didn't want to get out of bed so Rob and I went up to Cabanas to grab some breakfast. I tried texting Jen to see if she wanted to join us as I know Claire likes to sleep in but the app was terrible. I would send the message and it says sent but she wouldn't get the message until an hour or two later. I also tried imessaging her but that wasn't working either. This would be the norm for the entire cruise. I even used our internet package to sign in and messenger her as she said she was able to read some notifications from messenger, just not send anything. Well, nothing worked. :mad:

This was such a pain because it made it so hard for any of us to communicate with each other. Jen would message/text/chat us and then I would see her an hour later and hadn't received anything from her, then I would sign out, sigh back in and then it would pop up! 🤦‍♀️

Kira couldn't message us either. Some days, her and Rob's imessage worked with each other but mine didn't work, except for our last at sea day.

Same for the app access, it kept logging me out. I tried every trick in the book and still...crap! >:(

There's always been a few kinks every cruise with the app but this was, by far, the worse it had ever been! Considering everything is on the app now, they really need to up their game. It wasn't just us either, we overheard so many conversations about the issues everyone was having with it.

I didn't want to knock on Jen's door because I didn't want to wake Claire so we just headed up and hoped she would get the message eventually.

We had Palo Brunch at 12:30pm so we didn't want to fill up too much.

154.jpg

155.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

They didn't have an omelette station and I couldn't find the eggs benedict at first, so I just grabbed some scrambled eggs. I eventually found the eggs benny, so I got one because I like to dip my toast in the yolk and eat the ham but the one I tried was so gross, I couldn't eat it. The rest of the food was fine but it was barely warm. Rob couldn't find his cream of wheat so he got oatmeal instead but he was missing his cream of wheat so we went up and asked and they said it was only available in the dining rooms.

We never did see Jen so we decided to pop into the stores to check if they had added more of those merrytime shirts.

On the way to and from the stores, we spotted a few characters. :sail:

158.jpg

159.jpg

We saw SO many characters, most of the time there was no one even with them!

162.jpg

163.jpg

166.jpg

No new xmas shirts so we looked at other stuff. They had this new t-shirt section with some great designs.

160.jpg

161.jpg

But only a few of the designs were actually stocked with inventory and even then, there were mostly only XS or XXL or XXXL. We would have bought a few of these shirts had they had stock!. :worried:

We eventually ran into Jen and the four of us played some Disney Movie Trivia.

164.jpg

We won again but we gave away our medals to the second place team.

165.jpg

Back to the room so I could shower and we could get ready for Palo Brunch.

We were seated at a table that was right next to the window. Look at the pretty new glasses!

167.jpg

Within a few minutes, I was overheating. Even Rob and Jen said they were getting warm. Rob kindly ran back to the room and grabbed my little portable fan, which has saved me on numerous occasions but as Jen and I sat there waiting for him, we decided to ask if we could move to a table that was out of the sun completely.

Rob came back with my fan and we weren't there. :rotfl2:

We had to wave him over, to our much cooler spot.
wavesmile.gif

I forgot to mention that Rob and I didn't have our Palo clothes with us, those were in the lost bag.
sigh.gif
Rob had purchased a DCL polo shirt in the stores earlier but there was nothing appropriate for sale in the stores for me. I put on my bejeweled DCL t-shirt that I had bought many years ago and hoped it was okay. Best I had. I also didn't have my fancy sandals with me either and ended up wearing my pinky/purple skechers, hoping it would fine. They didn't say anything. Thankfully I had the sense to put my black capris in the other bag, otherwise, I would have had to wear shorts. I've done that before :rolleyes1

168.jpg

Our lovely server, Ricardo, brought us some carbs. :lovestruc I only had the croissant but it was delicious! He also brought some almond croissants later.

169.jpg

Rob had the tomato soup...

170.jpg

I had the celery soup, so good!

171.jpg

Jen got the spicy sausage flatbread.

172.jpg

I got the lasagna, which was fantastic! 🤤

173.jpg

Jen got the chicken parm...

174.jpg

Rob got the blueberry pancakes...

175.jpg

176.jpg

We ordered most of the desserts and shared.

177.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

180.jpg

Ricardo brought out this cool plate for us...

181.jpg

182.jpg

Brunch was so good, best food of the entire cruise, by far! 🥰

Before closing out this chapter, I will share with you a funny (and slightly inappropriate?) story.

Rob had made a bit of a mess while eating the croissant and was trying to clean it up a bit. Ricardo saw this and told him not to bother, that he would clean that for him and went to grab the table crumb sweeper but Rob insisted and continue to gather the crumbs into one spot. I started to tell Rob something but just as I spoke, him and Ricardo spoke over me (thankfully :rolleyes:).

I said "Don't worry about it babe, he has a little tool."

I paused, then said "Well, that didn't come out right"
:rolleyes2 :p

Thankfully neither Rob or Ricardo had heard me but Jen heard me say the last part and quietly said "What didn't come out right?" so I repeated what I had said and she burst out in laughter. Jen has the best laugh, it's sooooo contagious, sometimes I will laugh when she's laughing just because it's so funny even though I don't even know what she's laughing about. :lmao::rotfl2:

So, we were howling by now and Rob wanted to know what the heck was going on so I told him and he chuckled and now all three of us were laughing. :rotfl:

This was not the first time Jen and I went to Palo brunch together and had inappropriate, yet hilarious conversation and I hope it's not the last. :p

As you can quite imagine, my little faux pas was mentioned many times over the course of the remainder of our time together. :teeth::lmao:

Last edited:

Ariel and Cinderella don't look very happy! Clearly they needed to hear your faux pas at brunch to get them to smile! :D

So excited to read your report! But so sorry about your luggag! I also thought your Veradah was so cute! I’ve never seen one like that!

Thanks! :goodvibes

They are super cute and cozy but you can't see the water when you are sitting down sadly. Rob enjoyed reading out there because it was warm but I didn't spend much time out there, at least not as much as I do when I can sit and see the ocean.

I had no idea there was Express parking that close - VERY good to know. :thumbsup2 We got to know Mark as well - he was a great guy and we chatted with him a lot when we were at Cove. I'm sad that your bag didn't show up with your decorations, that has to have been really disappointing with it being Christmas. :headache:

I had no idea either until I had to reserve our parking! They just started it in 2021 and it is AWESOME!! :cool1:

Yeah, it's definitely better with all of our lights ::yes::

Loving your report! Your verandah is adorable!

Thanks so much! :flower:

So excited that You are back writing, thanks for letting us come along for the ride.

Thanks for joining us! :car:

I know even when things get a lot better I’m using wipes just makes me feel healthier, happier and cleaner and like yourself I have Lupus. Luckily for me since being diagnosed I’ve improved and it doesn’t affect me minus knowing and have it changing diet a bit and being more careful.
like you daughter I’m a mix of introvert and extrovert. I’m not really talkative, but I enjoy meeting new people. I use to be way more introverted.
Also I am a only child as well, and at times I needed my alone times. I can definitely relate.

Yup, always best to do your own cleaning, that way you know it's clean. People make mistakes sometimes, miss spots, it happens. :flower1:

It made me very happy to see that you had a new trip report! Following along!

Yay! Thanks for joining in and letting me know you're reading! :thumbsup2

HOW DO THEY LOSE HUNDREDS OF BAGS?!?!? The anger for all those customers that is going through my veins right now is insane. I am so sorry that happened to you all. I’d be pissed.

I think most were misdirected perhaps? I know someone reached out to me on Twitter and said she checked in for a flight, the flight was cancelled and then she's been fighting to get her bag back! Can you imagine??? :scared:

Sorry your bag didn’t show up. I know you missed those Christmas lights in the cabin. Looks like you are definitely making the best of it. Can’t wait for more !

Yup, still had a great cruise!!! And next time, (God-willing there is a next time!) we will be putting our lights in our carry on! ::yes::

I love Ariel. She looks "not impressed." :rotfl2:

PS. DS is super excited for this trip report - he loves a food picture.

Yeah, they were BORED! :lmao:

Well, that's good because I photograph all my food. :rotfl:

Ariel and Cinderella don't look very happy! Clearly they needed to hear your faux pas at brunch to get them to smile! :D

LOL! :rotfl2:

Most times we walked by the characters, they were just there, all alone! They had SO many characters, all the time!

I seriously love all your reports! I’m so sad about your lights I know how much they mean to you to have them. I can’t believe Moana was on the ship! My girls would love to see her! Did you see her more than once?

LOL! :rotfl2:

Most times we walked by the characters, they were just there, all alone! They had SO many characters, all the time!
Love love love your trip report!!!! We are Platinum cruisers and enjoyed your pix especially of Palo dishes!! We were on the Inaugural 2011 cruise the Wonderful Alaska cruise, we will never forget it!! So happy your family had a terrific time!! XXXOOO Karen and Ron

Thanks! :goodvibes

They are super cute and cozy but you can't see the water when you are sitting down sadly. Rob enjoyed reading out there because it was warm but I didn't spend much time out there, at least not as much as I do when I can sit and see the ocean.

I had no idea either until I had to reserve our parking! They just started it in 2021 and it is AWESOME!! :cool1:

Yeah, it's definitely better with all of our lights ::yes::

Thanks so much! :flower:

Thanks for joining us! :car:

Yup, always best to do your own cleaning, that way you know it's clean. People make mistakes sometimes, miss spots, it happens. :flower1:

Yay! Thanks for joining in and letting me know you're reading! :thumbsup2

I think most were misdirected perhaps? I know someone reached out to me on Twitter and said she checked in for a flight, the flight was cancelled and then she's been fighting to get her bag back! Can you imagine??? :scared:

Yup, still had a great cruise!!! And next time, (God-willing there is a next time!) we will be putting our lights in our carry on! ::yes::

Yeah, they were BORED! :lmao:

Well, that's good because I photograph all my food. :rotfl:
Fighting for your bag back after a cancelled flight would be a nightmare!

December 22nd, Part 2

I just realized that I hadn't written about the Key to the World cards!

With the check-in being mostly digital now, I forgot to mention that the KTTW cards are now located outside your stateroom door, in your little fish, in a sealed envelope.

183.jpg

It's weird not to see the dining rotation listed on them. I really wish Disney would move to Magic Bands or something like some other cruise lines do. I would much rather wear a MB than carry around the card. Also, the lanyards and return sailing gifts are also left on your bed. Rob was excited because this was his first cruise as a Platinum. :cool1:

Kira hung out with Claire for part of the day. They did an origami class and an animation class together and then she hung out with us until dinner time.

185.jpg

Rob did some reading on the verandah, it was too warm for me! I think Kira and I watched a movie on the TV.

186.jpg

187.jpg

Dinner tonight was at Triton's.

After we got our appetizers, some of the gang did a quick fly by in the dining room to some music. We were tucked in the corner, hard to get pics.

188.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

192.jpg

193.jpg

194.jpg

195.jpg

196.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

200.jpg

Jen had noted Claire's birthday on our reservation, so she got some cake and we sang Happy Birthday to her. :bday:

201.jpg

Back to the room to get ready for pooooooool time! :cool1:

This was the platinum gift, some chocolate truffles. They were different this time, they were all caramels, different flavours but all caramels. I ate the plain one when we got home and it was really good, Rob enjoyed the rest.

202.jpg

Totally dead at the family pool tonight...

203.jpg

Same with my pool. :love:

204.jpg

Rob was a little chilly tonight so he sat in a corner, over near the entrance to Cove Café where the wind wasn't blowing on him. As I was swimming, I spotted Mark and he was looking for Rob. :rotfl2:

He finally came up to me, shrugged his shoulders, which I immediately interpreted as "Where my buddy?" and then I pointed out his location and they proceeded to chat for 20-30 minutes. :rotfl:

Happy Cass :cloud9: ::yes::

205.jpg

I swam until 10pm and then back to the room. Kira was in the room, so we gently nudged her to make her way to Vibe to at least see what they were doing. She must have had fun because she ended up saying until midnight. She took photos of the schedule that was posted, she missed one but this at least, gives you an idea of what they do up there in that funnel. ;)

vibe.jpg

For the rest of the cruise, she spent a lot of time there, especially after dinner until close. She made some friends, met a cute boy and on the very last day, made a really good friend. I was bummed though that they didn't open until 11 am everyday and then for the first hour, it's an open house, so technically, teens didn't have much to do until noon.

Rob and I went down to French Quarter Lounge for Pixar trivia. It was SO hard! I'm pretty good with Pixar trivia but I didn't know half of them! They were so hard that our host, Max, actually gave hints for half of the questions. We got many because of the hint but had no clue before the hint. :rotfl:

We only got 13/25 and we came in second! That's how hard it was! Normally to win, you need to get almost all of them right, depending on who else is playing. The winners got 14.

It was really challenging though and fun and we loved the host, Max. I didn't realize at the time but that was the Max that is famous on the DCL Fb group, his mum posts all the time. :p

I went up and chatted a bit with him in French since he said he was from Montréal, which is where I am from. He is super nice and very happy to be there.

Back to the room for the night.

206.jpg

207.jpg

The stars were amazing that night. Not the best photos but you can still see them. You can see parts of Mexico all lit up.

208.jpg

209.jpg

Once Kira got back, we all got some shut-eye. Another fun day done. :lovestruc

Brunch looked delicious as always! Did you miss not having the buffet? Looks like you get pretty much everything that was originally there anyway (except I heard they no longer offer the sticky buns :( ).

Ahhhhhh.....see day on the verandah.....oh that looks glorious!

Sorry the app wasn't really cooperating for communicating, that's a huge bummer and super frustrating.

Did you make sure it wasn't Remy hiding in the light before you shoved tissue in it? Or does he only hide in verandahs on the Dream? lol🤪

One day I’ll make it on the Wonder. Tianas looks pretty cool. 🥰

December 23rd, Part 1

I'm a light sleeper so the rumble of the engines always wakes me up but this morning, I wasn't mad about it. I knew we were in for a treat today. :cool1:

I headed out onto the verandah at the perfect time! Just as we were pulling in next to the Disney Magic!!! :yay:

211.jpg

212.jpg

213.jpg

214.jpg

What a cool perspective of Goofy! :goofy:

He has a hole in his shoe! :lmao:

215.jpg

Rob had joined me right away and then eventually, Kira came out to watch too.

216.jpg

We watched until we docked and the gang planks were in place. This was pretty exciting! I don't know if this has ever happened before :confused3

Everyone was making a huge deal out of it so I imagine it either hasn't happened before or it rarely happens. :smickey:

Rob and I sailed our first four Disney cruises on the Magic and Kira spent her first two on her. In fact, she actually started walking on the Disney Magic back in 2007, on her first cruise, in the bathtub, while docked at Key West, of all the places! :rotfl:

Needless to say, we have made some amazing memories on that ship and we were thrilled to see her again. :love:

Actually, we were in 6134 on that sailing, so you can actually see the room, at the very top of this pic, where she officially became a walker. :p

217.jpg

It was weird and neat that you could see people enjoying their breakfast at Cabanas. :teeth:

218.jpg

They had been docked for awhile and their sailors were already disembarked for the day to explore Cozumel.

219.jpg

Once I got my initial fill of her beauty, I went back into the room and watched Good Morning Wonder, while Rob showered.

220.jpg

Jen and Claire were doing a snorkel excursion this morning and we had no real plans so Rob and I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at Triton's so that he could enjoy his cream of wheat.

221.jpg

222.jpg

223.jpg

A very happy Rob and his cream of wheat. :rotfl2:

224.jpg

The food was way hotter than the food at Cabanas and we're glad we did this! We would be doing it again. ;)

The only issue I had this morning was that they brought my toast about 25 minutes before the rest of my food arrived so it was cold by the time I started eating it and my ham was not brought out until about 15 minutes after. I think they had forgotten about it. The eggs and hashbrowns were hot and delicious!

225.jpg

226.jpg

After breakfast, we took some time to enjoy and explore the tree and gingerbread house.

227.jpg

228.jpg

229.jpg

230.jpg

I wanted to head out onto deck 4 to take some more photos of the Magic...I took a few. :rolleyes1

231.jpg

232.jpg

233.jpg

The excursions were getting organized. We didn't make any plans this time, I wasn't sure just how I was going to feel and we've been to Cozumel so many times before. We sail for the ship, not the destinations really and we were all very happy just to have a chill day today. Normally, it's nice to get the ship to ourselves on these port days but since the ship was empty already, it didn't really make a difference.

So, sorry, dear reader, if you were looking for a fun and exciting report with excursions and port experiences, that's just not us. :rolleyes:

234.jpg

I couldn't get over just how close we were to her. It almost felt like we could reach out and touch them, almost an exact mirror. :teleport:

235.jpg

The crew were doing some drills, we could even hear them!

236.jpg

237.jpg

238.jpg

There's Kira's walking room, middle row of that last section, furthest right verandah before the 7A Navigator rooms, it has a slight slant to the side.

239.jpg

Okay, I went and found a couple pics from that trip...this is the moment she became a walker, in that bath tub. :rotfl2:

kira2.jpg

And here she is the next day, on our verandah. :lovestruc

kira1.jpg

Back to the room, where I took one more pic. :goodvibes

240.jpg

I seriously love all your reports! I’m so sad about your lights I know how much they mean to you to have them. I can’t believe Moana was on the ship! My girls would love to see her! Did you see her more than once?

Thanks! :goodvibes Yes, we saw her later in the trip, you will see another photo of her. ;)

Love love love your trip report!!!! We are Platinum cruisers and enjoyed your pix especially of Palo dishes!! We were on the Inaugural 2011 cruise the Wonderful Alaska cruise, we will never forget it!! So happy your family had a terrific time!! XXXOOO Karen and Ron

Thank you so much! :flower:We were originally booked on that sailing but had to cancel. We still haven't done an Alaskan cruise. One day! 🤞

Fighting for your bag back after a cancelled flight would be a nightmare!

I totally agree!! 😣

Brunch looked delicious as always! Did you miss not having the buffet? Looks like you get pretty much everything that was originally there anyway (except I heard they no longer offer the sticky buns :( ).

Ahhhhhh.....see day on the verandah.....oh that looks glorious!

Sorry the app wasn't really cooperating for communicating, that's a huge bummer and super frustrating.

I only missed having the chocolate dipped strawberries and the little yogurt cups. I've never had sticky buns, but I'm not a sweets kind of girl. 🙃

Did you make sure it wasn't Remy hiding in the light before you shoved tissue in it? Or does he only hide in verandahs on the Dream? lol🤪

One day I’ll make it on the Wonder. Tianas looks pretty cool. 🥰

No Remy on the Wonder, at least none that we heard. 🤣

One day for sure! ::yes::

If you're paying attention to the photos, there's a couple DCL Trivia question answers shown in this thread ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter